1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

introducing cow milk

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by catherine26, Feb 14, 2015.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Please help me ..I'm in a big confusion., today I went to hospital for vaccine for my son, Dr said to introduce cow milk from 6th month because she saying breastmilk will too watery and it contain low fat so she saying to introduce is it true? Did I need to introduce cow milk..and can I start solid like porridge for my son from 5th month..

2. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Breast milk is the only milk that is in correct composition suitable for babies. From the 6th month or after completion of 6th month start introducing semi solids like porridge then idly, paruppu sadham, banana etc.

Cow's milk should be given only after completion of first year to avoid cow's milk allergy. If you start on semisolids and continue to breast feed then there is no need to give other milks. Breast feeding in the night helps to sustain the milk secretion. There are many threads here to guide you what to start at 6th month.

2 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Is your baby satiated? Does he show signs of hunger after a feed? Does he wake up too often during the night? If no, you can continue with the breast milk alone. It has all the nutrients your baby needs including fat.

Depending on your son's hunger you can start solids after his 6th month like porridge, mashed veggies/fruits. Do try to ensure it's all home-made.

I do know quite a few people who introduced their kids to cow's milk/buffalo milk right from 2nd month onward with no adverse effects. I am talking about India not US. The Indian cow breed is different from what you have in US, hence allergies should not be an issue. I am yet to hear of someone raised in India having dairy allergies.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is time to change the pediatrician. I feel any pediatrician not understanding the composition of breast milk and understanding the benefits of it, is not worth going to.

If you have a decent supply and your LO is still feeding from you, then you should continue as much as possible. For the first year, BM/FM should be the main source of nutrition. Solids should be for introducing textures and tastes.

1 person likes this.