1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Feeding bottles?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Selvi, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I need some ideas on how to clean baby's feeding bottles. How long should I sterilize and Is there any soap I can use for cleaning? I have been just washing with plain water and soaking in boiling water..

All websites say clean with hot soapy water. Please tell me what soap is that.

Thnx!!

:-D

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Feeding Bottles

Hi Selvi,

Here is what i used to do: Just load the bottles in the top rack of your dishwasher. The dishwasher will completely sterilize them first with hot water wash and then by drying it with the hot air.

For the nipples, i just wash it separately in mild dish washing soap solution and then sterilize in boiling water for 3 minutes.

Hope this helps

Vandhana

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

I use to do the same thing as Vandhana. Dishwasher is the best way to wash the bottles completely. In case I wanted it immediately I use to wash it with regular dishwashing soap like ivory,dawn etc.I used an angular brush that you get in Wal-mart that cleans the bottles well in areas that cannot be reached.

Boil them in water, bottles separately and nipples and rings separately till the water boils vigorously.Hope this helps.

Bye,

4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana & anjana for quick replies.

one question, For dishwasher loading, should I run without any detergent or use any detergent like cascade/electrosol ?

Thanks.

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

I do use dishwasher detergent for cleaning the bottles[cascade] and it comes out spotless. Hope this helps.

Bye,

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Selvi

Cleaning a feeding bottle is not a difficult job at all.In India,we generally do not have dishwashers and so one is forced to clean it by hand with the help of a bottle brush and some liquid soap.Once this cleaning is through,the bottle,the nipple and its various parts are all dumped into a big vessel with lots of water and boiled over the stove.Once the water boils for a few minutes,the stove is switched off.This is how we sterilize in India.

Here also,you can do all these things.Since a dishwasher is there,the cleaning can be done using the dishwasher.Once the cleaning is thru',sterilize using the above method.I think you get microwave bottle sterilizers also,I am not sure.

I used to have only 2 feeding bottles for my son.In the evenings,after coming back from work,I used to sterilize both bottles or you can do it in the night. In between,if a bottle had to be re-used,I just used to wash it nicely with soap water especially the nipple .You don't have to sterilize it each time before using.Just wash it well.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Whic soap or liquid to clean feeding bottles?

Hello all,

Is there any baby specific dish washing liquid to clean feeding bottles? or its just to be cleaned only with hot water and using the brush.

Please advise

8. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

Re: Whic soap or liquid to clean feeding bottles?

dear pavi

in chennai u get this feeding bottle wash liquid..do search for it in ur place.....otherwise i think the best way is washing it with brush 2-3 times and sterlising it...also do wash the bottles as soon as the feed gets over.......

lov
    sowmi

9. sorna

sorna Senior IL'ite

hello pavi,

congrats on new baby.i gave birth my son arvind 0n feb 13th.

Normally i wash with hot water and sterlize it .But once in 3 days i put those bottles for 30 min in warm water with regular dish washing liquid.(palmolive).those times i am washing it atleast three times with brushe to make sure that it doesn't have any washing liquid.

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

ptamil, when we were in Delhi in February, my MIL got me a bottle of bottle and nipple washing liquid. It's called Stony Angel bottle and nipple cleaner (it's imported from Thailand). She got it from INA market - shop's called Gogia's. It's on the main road, right opposite of Dilli Haat. Do you know where I am talking about?