1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Feeding bottles?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Selvi, Jun 25, 2006.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: Cleaning liquid for bottles

Hi Riditi,
    PRIL,VIM are a dish washing liquids widely used in India..Iam not sure how steaming and hot water wash alone will wade away milk smell..Washing bottles with dish washing liquid is not dangerous or unhygienic.I recommend it.

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yeah,I agree with Supriya.Recently,I tried washing bottles only with warm water since I was travelling with baby for 2 days and had no dish liquid with me.Eventhough I was washing the bottle almost immediately after use,the smell of formula was very evident and worse,the taste of the formula started changing(read as getting spoilt).

I usually wash with any dish liquid available(in India-Pril,Vim,even dish soap is ok as long as you wash away all residue),rinse two to three times ,then sterilize by putting in boiling water for 5-10 minutes.

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I have had similar experiences as Sunitha. A little bit of cleaning liquid will do no harm. And I don't think you can clean the bottles well without using any agent. Just make sure to wash thoroughly with hot water after using a solution.
    Latha

4. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

Thanks everyone.Today I tried washing cleaning the bottles with Pril.Even after 2 to 3 times rinsing in hot water and sterilising them ,the scent of Pril seems to persist(I put just 1 or 2 drops of it.)I will again try sterilising them

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Riditi, sterilizing may not get rid of the smell, since some milk residue will still be there for the bacteria to act up again. Do you use bottle brush? It may help get rid of the residue and soap before you sterilize the bottles.

Secondly, store them without the lids on, that may cut down on the smell too.

Raj

6. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

Raj, as you told I did not put the lid on after drying and stored them as such.I feel it helped.Thanks.
    I have a question about storing the formula.I am using similac powder formula which I had got from US.As I am in a coastal place in India right now, the powder gets lumpy (similac advanced comes in a plastic box which is not so air proof) because of the moisture.I have tried storing in air tight containers but it is not very effective. I have to prepare the formula very frequently for my twins and each time I use I am exposing the powder to moisture
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Riditi.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Riditi, I am glad I was of help. But I am sorry I can't help you on the formula front. All I can think of is using double seal ziploc bags but I am not sure if they are available in India. Maybe mommies who live in coastal areas have some tips for you.

Raj

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Riditi,
    Once you open the container split it into 2-3 tupperware containers.Open one at a timeuntil finished.This way you can minimize lump formation in the entire box.

1 person likes this.
  9. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

Thanks Supriya.Will try that.Sorry I could not reply sooner.

10. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

Feeding bottle....

Dear all
    I usually clean the feeding bottles ( I have 4-5 bottles which I use the whole day,wash it with plain water immediately after use and sterilize it altogether once in the morning) with Pril and sterilize them. I leave these bottles in the water that I used to sterilize itself and take it from that container when needed.. My question is, is it ok to leave the bottles in the water itself or should I leave them outside and allow it to dry?