1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need feedback on Shatavari

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Sandhya13, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am a mother of 43 days old baby boy. I have been breastfeeding him so far and for the past 2 days I noticed that my milk isnt enough for him. I had to supplement with formula a couple of times per day. I want to feed him exclusively with my milk for 4 months and then slowly start semi solids and then solids. I am very very sad about supplementing with formula now. I have not changed anything in my routine and not sure what is happening with me. May be my baby is going through a growth spurt and demands more. I just hope my milk will keep up to the demand soon.

I have already been taking lots of garlic, jeera water, mothers milk tea, oats, veggies that help with lactation etc.

Meanwhile, I heard that shatavari capsules/powder helps with milk supply. I have a few questions on that and I hope you will be able to help me.

1. Has anyone tried this and found success? If yes, was it significant increase in supply?
    2. Does it alter the hormonal balance in our body? I see that this is not only used for incresing milk supply but also during other times. So, I am confused by this and am afraid if it will do any harm.
    3. Which brand should I buy? I see a lot of brands in amazon when I looked for shatavari.
    4. I have started taking fenugreek seeds. I soak it overnight and take a tsp couple of times during the day. Everytime I take this I am at the verge of throwing up but somehow am managing to swallow. Is it okay to take the seeds without soaking? It is so much better to swallow the fenugreek seeds in raw form instead of soaking. If I do this, will I get the same benefits as the soaked seeds?

I am very grateful for your valuable suggestions.

P.S: I posted this tread in post pregnancy section as well as I wasnt sure where it fits best.

1 person likes this.

2. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I believe you are vegetarian so wish to recommend Lactare capsules from ( TTK Healthcare ) I am not sure you will get this in US or not. I can assure you this will give good result. Pl. see the below link.

TTK Healthcare - Pharmaceuticals

6 capsules in a day (two capsules three times in a day ) after food with milk.

3. radssravs

radssravs New IL'ite

Hi Sandhya,

I tired the Satavari capsules for my first baby but I am not that much satisified with it. But for my second one I started taking sathavari powder which make a good supplies for my kid.

Motilium 10mg 100 Tablets/Pack (Domperidone 10mg) (taken 16 tablets a day 4- after breakfast, 4- after lunch, 4 - after snack, 4 - after dinner.
    Check this link
    for my first kid with doctors suggestion I used this one and I benefited much more and stopped formula and fully depended breastfeed with in a week of taking this tablets.
    Taking 5.5lts of water a day by you may also increase the milk supply.

Thanks,
    Sravani

4. alokgowda

alokgowda Senior IL'ite

hi sandhya,
    i am a mom of a 100days old baby, i have started taking zandu shatavarex, and got good results, i had consulted an ayurvedic doc n he had suggested me to take it twice a day

5. barbiek

barbiek New IL'ite

Hi wanted to share my piece of info shatavari is a herb not only taken for increase in milk supply but also harmonal balance.it regulates menstrual cycle so there are much benefits and no need to panic.soaked fenugreek seeds are better than dried once but if u have gag u can also take fenugreek capsules 3tabs 3times a day.available in vitamin shoppe in US.i tried both of them around 11months of my baby as my milk suppy dropped drastically but couldnt make it up as before but my dr suggested me to stop feeding so i just stopped then

6. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

I used to shatavari .though it didnt help much but it wasnt entirely useless nor it had any other sideeffects. since shatavari is good for overall women's health i continued using it as long as i had the capsules without wasting them

7. Priraj

Priraj New IL'ite

Hi'

i used to have methi/fenugreek daily in any form (seeds, leaf, sprouts, powder) when i was breastfeeding my DD.
    As skyinsc said, Shatavari dint help me much either with milk production but it is good for uterus health. i take it till date in powder form just for overall reproductive health.

8. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

1. Has anyone tried this and found success? If yes, was it significant increase in supply?
    I have been taking shatavari for last 20 years i.e. since I started my menstrual cycle. It's an excellent female tonic. It does help increase milk production. Along with Shatavari, I would strongly recommend taking Watercress seeds/Asario/Haliv seeds kheer, poppy/khus-khus seeds kheer. These two also help in boosting milk production.

2. Does it alter the hormonal balance in our body? I see that this is not only used for incresing milk supply but also during other times. So, I am confused by this and am afraid if it will do any harm.
    No. It doesn't alter hormonal balance but helps maintain it. It strengthens the uterus and female reproductive system.

3. Which brand should I buy? I see a lot of brands in amazon when I looked for shatavari.
    If you are in India I would recommend Dr. Balaji Tambe's Santualn Shatavari Granules which is to be taken twice a day in milk. If outside India, these are good: Savesta Shatavari 60 Veg Caps - Swanson Health Products

4. I have started taking fenugreek seeds. I soak it overnight and take a tsp couple of times during the day. Everytime I take this I am at the verge of throwing up but somehow am managing to swallow. Is it okay to take the seeds without soaking? It is so much better to swallow the fenugreek seeds in raw form instead of soaking. If I do this, will I get the same benefits as the soaked seeds?
    Why don't you make methi ke ladoo. Much easier to have them. Also add Gond ke ladoo they too help in lactation.