1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When to stop breast feeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Sunshinebeauty, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Sunshinebeauty

Sunshinebeauty Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My DD is 14 months old. Last two days she is not drinking BM. During night sleep she cries a lot. When I give sippy cup she is not at all keeping in mouth.

How to make her to forget night feeding. Can we stop
    suddenly.

she is not drinking whole milk , how to give. Can we mix junior horlics?

pls share some tips.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

​did she stop feeding on her own or did you stop it?
    how is she doing weight wise? Is she on a proper 3 meals plus 2 snacks diet? Does she have a routine in place including bedtime?

As as long as her calorific intake is sufficient during the day, at 14 months you can stop night feeds. If you have a routine in place, you can check when exactly your child wakes up. If it is at the same time everyday, it is supposed to be due to habit. If it is at different times through the night, it is due to hunger; making changes to what she eats during the day will help. Otherwise, I have been advised by health professionals here to stick to plain cows milk after my dd turned 1, rather than formula or other drinks as they tend to contain too much sugar.

3. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Hi, after one year you can start whole milk. Because she is drinking BM she is not drinking other milk. Give her 3/4 times solid food. At dinner give her solids so it will last longer.

If she is not taking sippy cups then try spoon and bowl method.

4. Sunshinebeauty

Thanks Guesshoo. We came to vacation and seeing her cousins she didn't ask for BM. It's been only 2 days she is not asking. Not sure about midnight drinking is due to habit or hunger. She cries for every 2-3 hours in the midnight, after 5 mins feeding she will sleep and not drink .

how much oz of whole milk should I give?

pls advice.

5. Sunshinebeauty

Thanks Panthu,

I started to give whole milk but she is not drinking. Need to try again.
    '

6. Sunshinebeauty

When my DD forget to drink breast milk I feel emotionally down. For some reason feeling sad . Is it natural ladies?

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Oh yes! It is a bit of an emotional time for us mums when kids stop feeding... I felt low and heart broken too... As though my dd had grown up too fast without warning.

I will suggest that you feed her just before you brush her teeth in the night and put her in bed. if you are still on vacation, and your schedule is haphazard, and feeding her every 2-3 hours is not a problem for you, just do that until your vacation is over. Once you are home you can sort the night feeding out.

as for cows milk, introduce it with other foods like oats, Ragi, cereal so she slowly gets used to the taste. And just keep offering little sips of cows milk - having different types of cups/ introducing straws will help excite the child. Ask her cousins to pretend they are drinking milk so she gets interested in it too. Also I was advised to not add any sugar or flavouring to the milk as milk has enough sugars. I think at 14 months, around 150-200 ml three times a day will be sufficient; less if she is still feeding, otherwise the milk will fill her up and she won't be able to eat enough. You could alternately cut the milk down and give other dairy products like cheese, curd, yoghurt, fromage frais etc.

Hang in there. She will get there if you keep offering it in a calm and detached manner.

2 people like this.
  8. Sunshinebeauty

Hi,

My DD is not drinking cows milk or formula. I mixed milk with sugar,without sugar, junior horlicks etc.

Please help me how to wean her from breast feeding and make her to drink cow's milk.