1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to stop breastfeeding?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sathyadeepak, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sathyadeepak

sathyadeepak New IL'ite

my daughtet is 20 months old and I dont know how to stop breastfeeding.please give ideas.
    And she is not taking aavin milk or curd and ideas how to feed this? if you have any diet plan please share.

2. WannaFly

WannaFly New IL'ite

Hi Satyadeepak,

I stopped feeding my DD when she completed 2 years using the following method suggested by a Dr. Take a Crocin tablet, crush it and powder it. add some water to make it a paste and apply around the breastfeeding area. Tell ur baby that its become dirty. even if she keeps her mouth, nothing will happen.It's bitter taste will prevent the baby to keep its mouthy again. I've heard some ladies will get fever when they stop feeding. This method will be beneficial both for u and ur baby. This helped me a lot.. just give it a try...

1 person likes this.
  3. ahilakaran

ahilakaran Silver IL'ite

you can try some health drinks..she may like the different taste rather than plain milk.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@WannaFly Using acetaminophen to stop breastfeeding! Wow...I am surprised/shocked a doctor recommended that. For bitter taste there are safer methods like neem oil.I stopped BFing my DD when she was 22 months old. I did not stop all of a sudden. I gradually reduced by substituting each feed with an activity or something to eat/drink.For milk try giving kanji or kheer etc...just to get her to start drinking. For yogurt try flavored yogurt, lassi etc.

6 people like this.
  5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

As ramya said, pls do not use crocin method for weaning, i wonder how can a doctor suggest Paracytemol for child....too bad!

1 person likes this.
  6. spandana7

spandana7 Senior IL'ite

Most of the babies at this age will require feed only at night .......so whenever she cries at night ask ur MIL/Mother/husband to care of her ........you should not be near to ur child at that time ...........child will cry for sometime but eventually falls asleep ..........this will happen for a week and than automatically ur child will stop waking up at night .Try giving her water in case she wakes up .Just be strong to hear her cry for sometime ...........but things will improve soon. Try to give her heavy diet at night so she wont feel much hungry. As other suggested give flavoured curd availalble in market or u can make smoothies by mixing fruit (banana, mango , stawberry with curd) or make pancakes (see the recipe in internet) .........also try giving paneer or other milk product ..............dont expect the child to start eating them at once ........it will take some time but she will get used to the new taste .

1 person likes this.
  7. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

what idid for my dd is , i used to have cerelac hot water bowl everything nr bed.when she wakes up i wll give say some 1 scoop celrelac and she wll sleep.this method worked for my son also.remember dont give the same quantity that u give during day time.

1 person likes this.
  8. StrangerLady

StrangerLady Gold IL'ite

Is ur daughter breast fed only during the night time or during the day as well. If during the day time also u r feeding her then better u consult a dr n get the tablet to stop lacatation. So ur daughter after a few days of crying will understand that there is no milk left n leave the habit of breast feeding.

If only during the night she is asking for a feed, for few days during the night time u leave her with ur mom or her father n u don be near her.

If there is no possibility of getting their help, i will tell u the method which i followed with my daughter.

I applied fenugreek powder mixed with water in my breast area when she asked for milk, jus one day i did it n she stopped asking for milk again. Jus try it it might work for u

9. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

A crocin for stopping BF? Seriously??? I was shocked after reading that. just yesterday only our ped was describing a situation where the parents kept a tiny piece of soap in the kid's potty area when she didn't go to potty for just 2 days. After that the kid got infection and they hurriedly brought her to the ped and ped blasted them for such an ignorance.

It is always healthy to breastfeed a kid unless he/she is 2yrs of age. Neem oil is a very good suggestion. May be karela paste will also help. My MIL said some put round plasters(like band aid) and also suggested me, which I never followed. They will stop drinking as soon as they are in pre school. So don't worry.

10. uma927

uma927 Bronze IL'ite

If she is feeding only night times, then as suggested you move far and allow your husband or mom or mil to take care of baby for a week, then your baby will forget things.