1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Formula @ night-Query

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cheer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi there,

I'm beastfeeding my baby, but once in a day i give her formula too. Last 2 days i start giving her formula @ night time. Becoz of formula she didn't wake up @ night (ard 6 hrs) maybe becoz formula takes time to digest.

My question is-is it fine to give formula once in a day????

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Sure. No problem. Formula once a day shouldnt affect your milk production and certainly is ok for the baby.

Vanathi.

3. selviraj

selviraj New IL'ite

hello cheer,

Adhusmom is right u can give fromula once day it really help him get long sleep at night.. My ped also ask me to give formula twice day to my son but he is refusing the bottle feed.bonk

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Thanx ladies it's really gives me relief.

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

I Have another concern, since my baby start taking formula @ night, she didn't wake up for whole night. She sleeps straight 6-7 hrs without milk. Is it ok?? Yesterday she had formula ard 10.30 pm & she took BM today morning ard 9.30 am. She is only 1 1/2 mth old. Is it ok???

6. sorna

sorna Senior IL'ite

if the child is 11/2 month old,the max amount of formula would be 2-3 oz.The time interval should not exceed 4-5 hours.my ped told this.

During 3-4 month ,the child can take 3-5 oz,then the time interval can be upto 6 hours provided baby is not fussy becoz of hunger.

u can check with our own ped Vanathi also.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

There are guidelines for formula amt and intervals like Sorna said. But my general attitude with regard to feeding is feed on demand (both time and quantity as demanded by the baby) for both BM and formula as long as the baby is gaining weight/is not preterm/has no medical problems. But Cheer what you describe is 11 hrs not 6-7 (10.30 pm to 9.30 am). Now thats a bit too long for such a small baby and I would wake her up to feed her after 6 hours at the maximum until she is atleast 3 months old (by which time she will definitely be able to wake up on her own if her blood sugar drops).

Vanathi.

8. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

hi Vanathi & Sorna,

Thanx for ur prompt reply, thing is she woke up twice in between but didn't drink much like only 1 oz, i give her 4 oz formula becoz she was hungry & she drink all of it.

What u ladies suggest??? Thing is if i give her 2 oz only she will feel hungry. What should i do???

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  9. sorna

sorna Senior IL'ite

i guess drinking 4oz is normal,but my point is pls make sure the time gap should exceed 5-6 hours at this stage.

10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Thanx sorna, actually this happened yesterday only, before i gave her formula ard 8 pm & then again she had BM ard 11 pm, but yesterday i gave her ard 10.30 pm, maybe becoz of late night. No Idea. I'll take care that time will not exceed frm 5-6 hrs.