1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

7 month old needs frequent nursing at night leaving me with sore back!

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by vaali, Sep 4, 2012.

1. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Hi ILities! my baby boy who was exclusively breast fed till 6 months of age slowly developed this habit of sucking to go back to sleep everytime he wakes up (not drinking any milk but just suck a couple of times!!). So i sleep with my breast pointed at him the whole night even without my knowledge which is taking a toll on my back when i wake up!:drowning
    Gosh! it hurts so much that i cant even bend to pick him up from the floor!!.. even at the day time naps he rarely goes beyond an & half without nursing atleast once inbetween!.. so DH & parents are blaming now me for having made him a booby addict:rotfl by offreing breast everytime he cries. I know its true & it feels good to be a mom of my booby addicted cheeky one but this frequent night time sucking hurts by back a lot!

I tried giving him an empty feeding bottle when he wakes up @ night & even bottle with just water in it but neither seems to work:spin! what should i do? Please help me out!!

2. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

My DS is on same track now he is 10month 2 week old but every time he wake up he want breastfeeding if I don't he is like :rant crying..try to give Him pacifier..in night you can BF him...after all baby needs you more..:)

3. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Hey Tashsin! bahh.. really? 10 months old & the still the same story. Im just wishing this phases passes quickly as i anyways need to get back to working by early 2013 & i would miss him like hell being attached to my boobs all day:bonk.

Day times are fine here & night times are what im unable to manage with this lil guy here!! he just turns to my side & keeps hitting my boobs with his hand till i turn towards him & offer it to suck on:crazy:biglaugh.. after some couple of times i give up & just glue him to me skin to skin so that there are no more backward- sideward turning & no more hitting (all these unconsciously @ sleep) only to wake up with a sore & stiff back!:bonk

thanks for the reply bud:thumbsup..

4. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Hi there,

I dont know if this might really work, but try it.
    Make it a point to sit and feed LO always and put him down after the feed, I am assuming that he gets up once/twice at night for feed and at other times he just wants to suck. So, practise sitting and feeding him and dont offer B's in sleeping position. Initially he might cry, but after few days he will be fine.
    And try giving him a soft dress of yours which you normally wear at home in his hand.This will give a feeling that you are with him and he will feel comforted. Some babies start sucking their own thumb to get this comfort.. Using a pacifier is not advisable and leaving your B's open for him to suck is also a bad thing ... now that he is 7 months old, he might just become very difficult for you to make him leave this habit later.
    Also, I hope you have started him on solids & juices and ensure that he is getting enough before going to bed. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

I agree with Bril...I have heard from a pediatrician that BFing while lying down increases the chances of babies getting ear infection. My DD also used to suck for comfort when she was 2-3 months old but I didn't encourage that. She slowly learnt to suck her thumb and now holding my hand towel and sleeps. Give her your dress/towel/hanky which can make him feel that you are next to him.

1 person likes this.
  6. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

My 3 months old daughter does not agree anything else. She is not exclusively breast fed.I make sure her tummy is full before she sleeps, even then it never works out. Also tried feeding sitting. Nothing works out and every morning I give her to mom and sleep for 3 hrs. I get unbearable pain in back and thighs. This sleeping in morning will not work out after 1 month, I am going back to inlaws. Help me out please.

7. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Hi Visasri,

At 3 months, i think there might be occasions they have colic pain and so sucking gives them some relief. If your daughter cries badly and then gets comfort only by sucking then it could be colic.. Make sure you burp her after every feed. Avoid gassy food items in your diet. Sometimes, formula might not suit their tiny digestive system.Change it and see. Drink lots of water to promote your digestion so your milk will be easy for her to digest. If you drink milk, dilute it and take. Ofcourse, these are remedies for handling colic, but if your DD is just sucking for comfort, you will need to work on make her get rid of the habit.

1 person likes this.
  8. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Hi Bril,

Thanks for the suggestions. i do follow them all except for diluting the milk. I take green cover milk from aawin, think its enough diluted already. She never cries and I dont think its colic. Also, she never wants to suck if someone lies down next to her. Even in the day time when I lay on bed with her she wants to suck. She does not do it with anyone else. But I cant make her sleep next to my parents or brother.

9. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Hey then dont worry,it is just a phase. I was with DD till she was 8 months old and after that joined work.. And when i got back from work, she used to lie on my shoulder sucking her thumb..she never did that with others.. so its a way to feel secured for them when mommy is around.. Try giving her your dress in her hand and slowly the habit will change. But dont encourage it... because later it will be tough for you to handle...GL!

1 person likes this.
  10. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Bril! i think you are right!! bah.. know what? for the first 3 months i was very sure that im not feeding my bubba in sleeping position but later gave in to my mom's continuous pressure to feed lying down:rant. Now that we both got very cozy/ addicted to this position that not just my baby but even i find it hard to break :bonk

Though i knew this position might be the culprit & i want to consciously wake up to feed him sitting, i still keep going back to square one @ sleep & wake up all irritated when he keeps kicking me after offering my breast 'n' of times. Bahh.. even last night i did this:bonk & woke up @ 5am to bring him to the thooli from bed.

Gosh! its time i break this habit off & make up my mind for the same!!

Thanks BRil..!