1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Patti manram about RC, KJ, JS, UB, CB etc Novels

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by DDC, May 21, 2010.

1. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Please don’t post here requesting a specific novel, there are other threads for that.

Friends,
    From the popularity of the RC thread, I understand a lot of people love to read RC, UB, JS, CB novels. I want to start a thread where we can discuss a specific novel, what impressed you about it, why you like a character etc I have been meaning to start this thread for a few days now. There is a similar thread started by Niranchana but the difference is I would like a small synopsis & a more detailed analysis of the novel in question. It can be your favorite novel, one you hated or one where you would have liked the climax to be different. I am just talking about light-reading romance novels here but if anyone wants to delve into more serious stuff please do so by all means. Talk about a specific line, a poem in the novel, a character, a name anything. I would like the thread to have a common format so please post

Name of the novel:
    Author:
    Main characters:
    Synopsis:
    What you liked/hated about the novel & why:

To start things of here goes: “Oru Malar” is my favorite RC novel.

Name of the novel:Oru malar
    Author: RC
    Main characters: Gautaman & Rami
    Synopsis: Rami is a pampered child in a wealthy family with a child-like mother. When her dad dies leaving behind a lot of debts she sells everything, clears his name & starts working. She comes to know that Gautaman has documents that could send her mother to jail. She agrees to a one-night stand with Gautaman in return for the documents, thinking she can live with it. But when she understands what a price she paid, she leaves town & later finds out she is pregnant with his child. How they get back together with the help of friends forms the rest of the story.

What you liked about the novel & why: I liked the inner strength shown Rami, how she accepts poverty just so her Dad is vindicated, how she understands that she has to face consequences of her actions rather than blaming it on Gautam “நானாக அவரிடம் போனேன், ஒரு பொருள் கொடுத்து வேறு வாங்குவதற்கு, அதன் பிறகு எச்சமும் சொச்சமும் என்னோட பொறுப்பு”. I also liked the portrayal of Gautam- he knows that he is not a good man “பேய் வளர்த்த பேய் பிள்ளையாகி போனேன்& but is very aware of how he wronged her & sure of themselves in a very positive way even he hasn’t had a chance to understand her character –Rami says “ I will not marry you even if you are the last man on Earth” & he replies “ but even if every man wanted to marry you, you will accept no one else but me” I also like the child-like mother & how she reacts after hearing of her unwed daughter’s pregnancy. The friends who believe in her & stand by her etc

I hope we can have an entertaining discussion & learn how different people process the same story differently. Look forward to hearing from lots of folks. For eg I dont like 'Mayangugiral Oru Mathu'. I dont like the sadism & masochism, the torture & finally Maya accepting the hero. But looks like some people do. So I mean this thread to be more than a summary but a discussion of the whys & whats of a novel.

--DDC

Last edited: May 21, 2010

2. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

hi ddc!
    a nice thread ya!
    keep it up!:thumbsup
    my most most favorite novel is thendi sendra thendral of uma balakumar!
    even though i am a rc fan i will close my eyes and tell that i love this novel even after reading a no of rc novels in future too!
    the way she expressed about the feelings of the husband and wife after a long gap of seperation is really fantastic!
    enakku oru malar madhiri hero heroine ah oru situation la rape( not meant actually) pannittu apparam kalyanam pannikira maadhiri irundha dhaan avvalava pidikkadhu!
    eg; oru malar, irulukku pin varum jothi etc
    instead oru reasonkaaga pirinjuttu pinnadi understand pannikira madhiri novels will be best!:thumbsup
    eg; ini oru udhayam,theendi sendra thendral all!

3. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Yams,
    Shouldnt you be asleep & dreaming right now ?

I havent read 'Theendi sendra thendral" hope I get to sometime soon. Like I said in one of your other threads, I had a weakness for married couples even before I was married myself. Now that I am married even more so. Naanum Oru malar padichpo I wondered "How the h*ll do you submit to a guy when you dont want to & he's not physically forcing you?" Antha part romba idichathu but I like the strong characters who understand themselves & others.

--DDC

4. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

me too! got hesitated to read because of that part but other than that all rc novels are wonderful!
    my most hated novel is ram thediya seedhai! shabbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaa novela adhu???????:bonk:bonk

not sleepy dear!

5. Priya501

Priya501 Senior IL'ite

Most hated novels of RC's :

1. Ennai Yaar endru enni enni - Padithu mudithathum (illa illla paddikumbothey eppada intha story mudiyumenu) orey thalai vazhi......

2. Ini Ellam Nee allavo - My god first few pages made me to close the book n sleep. My first ever book which was still incomple is this. How much ever stupid novel/story it cud i have never kept any book down without completing except this......

and the recent novels of her tooo..... Such a boring ones.....

6. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

yes her recent novels are not so good as before!!!!

7. Priya501

Priya501 Senior IL'ite

Even i too agree with DDC, i didnt like "Mayangugiral oru Maadhu".....

Tho' ppl say "Viruppukkum veruppukum chinna idaiveli" i cudnt agree the point in this story where she suddenly starts liking him when especially she had suffered lots bcos him.....

8. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

even i didn't like it much! mai vizhi mayakkam was too good!

9. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Yams,
    I dont remember Raman thediye Seethai. Please give a synopsis & why you dont like it makesthe thread more interesting.

Priya,
    I too didnt like ennai yaar endru .. much.
    Dont remember Ini ellam.. can you write a summary & tell us why you dont like it ?

I too feel her recent novels are not up to par. Felt like a ghost writer was writing them, they just dont have her depth & perception. I thought maybe my taste had changed but looks like y'all feel that way too. I like the other novelists -esp JS.

--DDC

10. Priya501

Priya501 Senior IL'ite

I Agree... Maivizhi Mayakkam, pongattum inba uravu, malai mayangugira neram and Maane Maane Maane are good novels. Probably those narrations made the expectaions high which cudnt be seen in these days