1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

IL Book Club - April/March 2010 :: Pride and Prejudice

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Gayathri47, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Hello gals...

How much of IL book of the month for Feb have you finished?? Buckle up ladies because its time for get suggestions from you people for the month of March (If you still haven't finished the book - hey there is enough time this weekend now!)

As the month of March is an important month for us all ladies - any guesses why?? Yes ofcourse! its the Women's day on 8th of March!!!
    So I though why not pick up a book that revolves around lives of some nice and wonderful ladies.. :)

So come on, share your opinion on which book to read for the month of March for IL's book club..

Here is are my suggesstions .........

1. The Undomestic goddess - A modern day lawyer ends up screwing her practice and faces a drastic career switch. Click here to see what one of our members say about it.

2. Pride and Prejudice - set in the old English times, when a young woman thinks she knows everything about a man and hates him thouroughly, but is it always true that every story has two sides to it?

Which one do you prefer? Or would you want any other book?
    Please do post.

Gayathri

P.S : Please do remember to suggest some books for which we might be able to get a soft copy of, that makes it easier for all readers who do not have an easy access to hard copies..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Well come on gals!!
    22 hits and no one to read a book in this month!! :rant

3. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Gayathri,

Here goes my suggestion "The Stars Shine Down" by Sheldon.

He has depicted very interestingly how a bold lady overcomes the difficulties and becomes a successful site builder in the male dominated society.

4. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the suggesstion Raba, I hope I get some response from others too, so that we can decide for what to read for this month!

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

P&P is a good choice or even any other Jane Austen. It is in the public domain and freely available online. In fact, I think free audio versions of the book are also available on librivox.

Ever since I laid hands on it as a 14 year old, I must have read that book about 20 times. I have watched and re-watched every TV series and every movie ever made based on it.

It would make for some very lively and entertaining discussions. :)

6. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

Pride and Prejudice is a good choice, I would also suggest "Little Women - Louisa May Alcott...

7. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Hi gals - since we are have 3 people to back P & P, do you think it is alright if we go and choose the book for the month? What say?

8. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Looks like we will be doing Pride and Prejudice for this month. An online version is available at a public domain here

So people, lets begin!

9. sarithariju

sarithariju New IL'ite

Hi Gauri,

I absolutely agree with about P & P... i first read an abridged version of it when i was 10.. then i found the complete version when i was 14.. just loved the book and imagined that i was Eliza Bennett ... :p

and i too have watched all the TV series...the BBC one is there on my Ipod so that i can see Darcy whenever i want to :drool

and what do you think of the Bridget Jones version of it.. ifound that also to be very entertaining (mmmmmmmmmmmm HUGH GRANT)....

10. msbram

msbram Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends,

I am Bharathi and became a member a couple of days back. I found this topic when I was browsing through the forum. Books are my passion and Pride and Prejudice is one of my most favorites. I have read this book many times and still read it once in a while. How does the book club work? Do people read the books and share their opinions here and discuss them? What are the guidelines to choose a book? Is there any particular genre you choose. Do let me know. I am very interested in participating in the discussions.

Regards,
    Bharathi.