1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anew Book Club

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Jan 8, 2016.

Vote to choose the January 2016 book

Poll closed Jan 12, 2016.
  1. Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Keep the Change by Nirupama Subramaniam

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. The Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

A brand new year is here to give us the opportunity to design 2016 as we wish it to be. Among our other priorities let's also include good books to read and converse with friends.

Let's get started, post your nominations for the Anew book club.
    @Kishw and @BDivya, you are ready to nominate I believe. My nomination is for The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

3 people like this.

2. PriyaSrini

2 people like this.
  3. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

4. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

My nomination - Keep the change by Nirupama subramanian

1 person likes this.
  5. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

My nomination - The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan

2 people like this.
  6. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Thank you for tagging and renewing the club for 2016. I am looking forward to read some good books this year. Here is my nomintation:
    The Faraday Girls by: McInerney, Monica

7. PriyaSrini

Wow this is an interesting list of nominations. The poll is up bibiolites, vote to pick. Here are the blurbs to help you choose. (Taken from Goodreads )

1. Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham :

Sebastian Rudd is not your typical street lawyer. He works out of a customized bulletproof van, complete with Wi-Fi, a bar, a small fridge, fine leather chairs, a hidden gun compartment, and a heavily armed driver. He has no firm, no partners, no associates, and only one employee, his driver, who’s also his bodyguard, law clerk, confidant, and golf caddy. He lives alone in a small but extremely safe penthouse apartment, and his primary piece of furniture is a vintage pool table. He drinks small-batch bourbon and carries a gun.

Sebastian defends people other lawyers won’t go near: a drug-addled, tattooed kid rumored to be in a satanic cult, who is accused of molesting and murdering two little girls; a vicious crime lord on death row; a homeowner arrested for shooting at a SWAT team that mistakenly invaded his house. Why these clients? Because he believes everyone is entitled to a fair trial, even if he, Sebastian, has to cheat to secure one. He hates injustice, doesn’t like insurance companies, banks, or big corporations; he distrusts all levels of government and laughs at the justice system’s notions of ethical behavior.

2. Keep the Change by Nirupama Subramaniam :

The awkwardness of her name plagues B. Damayanthi, along with the bunch of unsuitable prospective husbands her Amma throws at her, a dead-end job as an accountant in a decrepit firm, the oppressiveness of Chennai. When she finally quits her job and some of her inhibitions to join a bank in Mumbai, her whole life changes.

3. The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan:

When the younger players in India's cricket team find out that advertising executive Zoya Singh Solanki was born at the very moment India won the World Cup back in 1983, they are intrigued. When having breakfast with her is followed by victories on the field, they are impressed. And when not eating with her results in defeat, they decide she's a lucky charm. The nation goes a step further. Amazed at the ragtag team's sudden spurt of victories, it declares her a Goddess. So when the eccentric IBCC president and his mesmeric, always-exquisitely-attired Swamiji invite Zoya to accompany the team to the tenth ICC World Cup, she has no choice but to agree. Pursued by international cricket boards on the one hand, wooed by Cola majors on the other, Zoya struggles to stay grounded in the thick of the world cup action. And it doesn't help that she keeps clashing with the erratically brilliant new skipper who tells her flatly that he doesn't believe in luck..

4. The Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney :

Crossing the globe, from Australia to Manhattan to Dublin, McInerney's bewitching multigenerational saga lavishly and lovingly explores the resiliency and fragility of family bonds.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak :

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

6 people like this.
  8. Kishw

Kishw Silver IL'ite

now thats an interesting list of nominations.. I have voted my choice!

9. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya,

Thank you very much for tagging me. I have voted my choice. Waiting to know the result.

10. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite