1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Spooky Book Club

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, May 21, 2015.

It's a scary tale... vote to read

Poll closed May 26, 2015.
  1. Dracula by Bram Stoker

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. The Magician by W. Somerset Maugham

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. The Shining by Stephen King

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Warning: This club is not for the faint hearted. Enter at your own risk. :twisted:

With tales of horror and blood cuddling macabre, The spooky club is finally here. Say a prayer and pick a book and be prepared to be scared. Vampires, monsters or headless horseman, take your pick.

1. Dracula by Bram Stoker (488 pgs)

Jonathan Harker, incarcerated in a Transylvanian castle, has an alluring but terrifying dream of three women, eager to prey upon him. His host and jailer is none other than Count Dracula, or Nosferatu, the Un-Dead, controller of the wolves.

2. The Magician by W. Somerset Maugham ( 240 pgs)

Maugham’s enchanting tale of secrets and fatal attractionThe Magician is one of Somerset Maugham’s most complex and perceptive novels. Running through it is the theme of evil, deftly woven into a story as memorable for its action as for its astonishingly vivid characters. In fin de siecle Paris, Arthur and Margaret are engaged to be married. Everyone approves and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves—until the sinister and repulsive Oliver Haddo appears.

3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly ( 273 pgs )

At once a Gothic thriller, a passionate romance, and a cautionary tale about the dangers of science, Frankenstein tells the story of committed science student Victor Frankenstein. Obsessed with discovering the cause of generation and life and bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, Frankenstein assembles a human being from stolen body parts but; upon bringing it to life, he recoils in horror at the creature's hideousness. Tormented by isolation and loneliness, the once-innocent creature turns to evil and unleashes a campaign of murderous revenge against his creator, Frankenstein.

4. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (102 pgs )

The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard. The story was immediately matched by a thrice marvelous adventure of Brom Bones, who made light of the Galloping Hessian as an arrant jockey. He affirmed that on returning one night from the neighboring village of Sing Sing, he had been overtaken by this midnight trooper; that he had offered to race with him for a bowl of punch, and should have won it too, for Daredevil beat the goblin horse all hollow, but just as they came to the church bridge, the Hessian bolted, and vanished in a flash of fire. All these tales, told in that drowsy undertone with which men talk in the dark, the countenances of the listeners only now and then receiving a casual gleam from the glare of a pipe, sank deep in the mind of Ichabod. . . .

5. The Shining by Stephen King ( 512 pgs )

Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr Halloran he was a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control.

As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own. It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and who were the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why did the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?

Somewhere, somehow there was an evil force in the hotel - and that too had begun to shine..

(Book blurbs taken from Goodreads)

3 people like this.

2. PriyaSrini

Tagging @jingi92 @madhuprabha @helpmeangel @lampdeepa @Aria @Laks09 @Shanvy @naliniravi @Visasri

3. naliniravi

naliniravi Gold IL'ite

@PriyaSrini,

I have not read any of the said books. However, I have voted for the legend of sleepy hollow. If possible I would like to read all the books mentioned.

4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

yeyyyy!! my most favorite scary book club is finally here.. :) I am ready to read all the books in the list though have voted for one.. :yes:

5. helpmeangel

hi nalini,
    looks like we cross posted about reading all books.great minds and all that.:cheers

2 people like this.
  6. PriyaSrini

@naliniravi and @helpmeangel I too want to read all these books. Some have been on my reading list for a while. Frankly I wouldn't mind -and if anyone is interested, to read and tick these books off my list.

2 people like this.
  7. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Priya, HMA, Nalini
    How are you all ?
    A spooky book ........... it is really a good idea. I have not read of any of these books, though I have heard of the first three books. My vote is for the Magician - a romantic spooky thriller.
    One suggestion Priya, why not read all of them ...... in the order in which they are voted as best/want to read or atleast the first two with max votes........???
    And one more suggestion, is u should have started this spooky books readathon in monsoons or winter ..... u know the nights are dark, with the breeze playing against the curtains, the creeking doors and all.......:crazy

3 people like this.
  8. PriyaSrini

................ and sleepless nights and missed breakfast for dh/ family.... thinkingsmiley.....:biggrin2:

2 people like this.
  9. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

YAY @PriyaSrini a spooky book club wow. I would like to read all of them but there are too many books on my list for this month hope to join u all soon.

10. helpmeangel

hi madhu,

you are a lady after my own heart!!! I love reading spooky stories in the nights and when it is raining and ah well, in all sorts of seasons.. :) i get this voodoo feeling that am gonna enjoy this month's club a lot! and so will all of you..he he he!! :boo: