1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Experienced a "Reader's Block"?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Laks09, May 17, 2015.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think I'm experiencing what writers often complain of. The thing is that I'm not a writer, I'm a reader. I always read a couple of books at least a week, no matter what the content. I had to read everyday. It was a very cherished habit that my Dad cultivated in us as very young children. Now, for the past year, I'm unable to even pick up books without falling asleep. Initially, I ignored it as stress and other factors. Later, I didn't have the time for books. Now, even though I do a lot, I have time to read(I always made time to read) but the thing is nothing is working. I have a lot of books that I have read a page and put away never to pick up. I can read while waiting in waiting rooms for my son. I can read before bed, I can read when I eat, I can read when I cook, I can read when I take a mini break. I have ways to find time but I just am not able to. I feel very disinterested in reading(any book of any author). I can't even re-read favourites.
    Do you guys have tips for me to overcome this? All I read are therapy books and even those, I don't read from cover to cover as before. I read just what is currently required.

1 person likes this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

re: Has Anyone Experienced a "Reader's Block"?

Me! Me! I've been through this. I would read the back of a shampoo bottle in the shower... Now, zilch. Also reading makes me sleep.

One culprit is my iPhone. I end up browsing, reading parenting articles and watching random videos instead of reading. So, putting the phone to charge at my desk and using an old fashioned alarm was one change.

next, picked up the authors I really can't resist - comedies for most part, and chick-lit do it for me. Then I force myself to read up to 20 pages of something and then sleep; I'd rather discard a boring book nowadays thAn plough through. (And that was unheard of for the previous me)

if all else fails, I start rereading the Harry Potter series once again....

i am a bit worried about this because mum used to be a reader but suddenly couldn't be bothered reading anymore around the time she hit 40. As the same number is fast approaching, I am trying my level best to continue reading!

3 people like this.
  3. Laks09

@guesshoo - The sad part is now my DD is into books. I want to read some of the books she recommends but off to sleep I go. I better try chick-lits, I don't like this. I do tell myself that I'm going to read at least 20 pages before bed but I end up turning on my alarm and just hitting the bed. I did think my phone was a problem so I charge it elsewhere. I also have worked hard to stop obsessing about my son's therapy so much. I don't read every article there is and every therapy perspective written. I'm taking a break from trying to drive myself crazy! I do run a lot, lately. My training load is immense and I do yoga too but I still have 30 mins before bed. Why is this bored sick of books feeling not going away?

4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I have faced this too. I think it is an attention span issue. I dont know about you guys but for me too much TV and phone games have gotten me used to needing that quick hit for investing just a few minutes of my time. Within a few minutes of playing a game you get reward/lose a life. same with TV dramas -- they are dramatic, quick moving you are alternately laughing commiserating and going through the gamut of emotions within 20 minutes. I personally feel we are victims of this 'sound bite' culture. A quick scan of a post or online article to get the details and we are done. In contrast, Books slowly set the pace and scene, and demand us to slow down to allow the writer to unveil on "his time schedule" all the relevant facts. No fast forwarding or Quick recaps!
    What I did was I started with an old favorite, PG wodehouse. And even if it is only 30 minutes which means I barely make any headway into the book -- he takes his time to set up the situations around Bertie or the protagonist and slowly tightens the noose, so to speak, his language in each para is so wonderful and polished and just plain funny just reading it and savoring each gem for those 30 minutes makes me come back for more the next day.

So start with some old favorite of yours, PGW works for me, and you will find yourself coming back to it, looking forward to those precious minutes and so on and before you know it you will be hooked and reading way past your bedtime!

2 people like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I too blame the smartphone. I got an iPhone relatively late, only in 2012. Before that our cell phones had no data or text plans.
    I used to get in a good hour of reading on my commute, as I take the train to work.
    Now it's all too easy to check the latest happenings on my phone, keep up with Facebook etc. I don't play games on the phone but the Internet is a serious distraction.
    I have to make a concerted effort to read. I loaded up all my favorite books on Kindle, so it's easy to switch back and forth between titles. I even have a ton of cookbooks on it, so I can plan out meals when I get bored. And I love browsing through cookbooks anyway. I also preorder my favorite books, so they get loaded on the Kindle automatically and that is something to look forward to.

1 person likes this.
  6. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I too experience "reader's block" but am glad that it last for just a week or less, else I'd be kicked out of the forum :bonk.

@Laks09 even if just a page or two, keep at it every day and slowly you can break this block. You can also have a reading challenge with your DD, pick a book and see who reads the most pages at the end of each day. Hope this helps.

2 people like this.
  7. Poetlatha

Poetlatha Platinum IL'ite

Now and then reader's block comes and goes within me. I'm actually not a great reader from childhood. But got into reading on positive thoughts, poetry, etc. I feel when your mind is overloaded it can't take any more, and whatever you read your mind does not grasp it too. Just relax give it a week or a month too, then start with your favorite ones, or the books that you wish to read. Like fever and cold takes its course for us to recover, we need to let the reader's block to run its course. By the way many people listed due to smart phones, tv, computer net browsing, etc those are not reader block that is their diversion, readers block is something that occurs naturally where you are not able to focus, concentrate, or comprehend and grasp what you read, that's my two cents.

3 people like this.
  8. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hi Laks,
    I am presently going through a reader's block. Actually it comes in spurts, on and off, on and off.
    Sometimes, reading is a rage, i can't do anything, think anything, except for books, books and more books. At those times, I go on a buying spree of books. But when they all pile up, trying to decide which one to start, makes me have a reader's block.
    But thanks to the Book lovers forum here, i am trying to read more often.
    If we can have motivation, then reading is fun. With ur DD u can try to motivate each other. Atleast u r lucky in that.
    In my home, if I take a book to read, everyone thinks i am trying to show off and that i am haughty.

2 people like this.
  9. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

M die-hard reader...can not sleep without reading one page at least
    If i do not have anything to read, will read complete newspaper including advertisement gigglingsmiley

Well said @poetlatha...

2 people like this.
  10. Laks09

Ladies - I finally read something with my DD! It was hard to focus at times but I pushed through and finished the book. Now, to keep the momentum going I'm picking another book. Thank you for all your tips. I do think I have to make a conscious effort to not lose my reading ability. The minute I sit down to read, I find a zillion things crossing my mind. I'm having to shut out all other thoughts and read. I know it's possible, I do it all the time in other aspects of life.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this goes!

2 people like this.