1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan #5) by Kathy Reichs

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Couple of years back while flicking through the TV Channels, I stopped at one particular spot thinking that the channel had started airing the TV show ‘Angel’ again since on the screen was David Boreanaz. Pretty soon I was hooked and when the commercial break came up, I discovered that the show called Bones. Over the years I have followed the series on TV, but have somehow missed out on reading the original series so far. This was my first date with the original and bookish Temperance Brennan.

Temperance Brennan lands in Guatemala to try and excavate dead bodies dating back to the country’s civil war. While a surprise attack leaves Temperance in shock, girls start disappearing all around and a body is found in a Hotel’s septic tank… Temperance Brennan is knee deep into an investigation that might be bit too much even for her. From the missing daughter of an ambassador to the local to what may be a serial killer on the loose to the DA’s secret, will Temperance Brennan be able to solve the case on time?

I have to admit that after having watched the series for quite some time, it was difficult for me to pick up this book with a clean slate and no expectation. Once I started with the book, I kept imagining Emily Deschanel’s face as Temperance and kept expecting Seeley to jump in any and every moment. Frankly, I think watching the series before the book, and having such amazing cast play the roles, it was quite easy for me to like the bookish Temperence too.

The plot was amazing! The elaborate and complicated web of mystery really pulled me in from the beginning. The parallel storylines along with their own sets of characters kept me enchanted throughout. At times, I did feel like smacking Temperance because of the certain rigidity in her character, but I suppose that’s the best part about this series – that we love our protagonist even though she has some serious flaws and issues. It is one thing watching it on TV but another thing on the whole to read all the scientific explanations involved in this series. The author has done a brilliant job in delivering it all in a scientific language that laymen like me too can easily grasp onto. Also, the description of Guatemala and the horrors of war has been well done.

Overall it was a fast paced page turner that I certainly enjoyed reading. It is also a part of a series that I plan to continue with.