1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DIES IRAE & Laccrimosa by Christine Fonseca

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

DIES IRAE
    This is an introductory Novella to the Author’s Requiem Series…

The author gets to the point and into the plot right from the beginning. It is narrated alternately between Mikayel and Azza. It is really a wonder to read two completely different reactions to human emotions. Mikayel tries to ignore it but cannot and Azza actually feels strengthened by it. But they do not really get much time to deal with it as they come across ‘Jinns’ who are not really in the mood to be sidelined by these angels or to keep the peace. As for Demi, she realizes what she wants and what is right are two complete different things – how she deals with it is really mind-blowing!

Since this is a novella, I was expecting it to be a fast read. And it is! Not only because of its length, but also because of its action packed nature. It is filled with action, emotion and drama! The last chapter has a big surprise waiting for its readers…

LACRIMOSA
    To be frank, my first experience with ‘Angels’ wasn’t very good and so I never thought of reading more books about them, until I received Dies Irae & Lacrimosa by this author. Since Dies Irae was a novella, I decided to give it a chance thinking that if I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t venture on with Lacrimosa. But Dies Irae managed to change my mentality about fantasy novels based on Angels.

Lacrimosa picks up after three thousand years since the ending that Dies Irae provided us with. Nessy has been a sentinel for five hundred years now and she is one of the best that Mikayel has. She is good at casting out demons but is uncomfortable within a human body. Still she manages to perform her duties well enough until she meets Aydan. Aydan reminds her of the one she loved in her human life. Aydan, now serving Azzaziel, thrives on human soul. He has come to gain a reputation of being the most dangerous UnHoly who stops at nothing. Aydan too is attracted to Nessy immediately as she reminds him of his love, Ella.

Where on one hand Nessy is shown to struggle to complete her assignment because of a minor problem of ‘emotions’ and a big problem of Azzaziel’s presence, Aydan on the other hand struggles with the darkness within that had become only too familiar to him. Well, the only predictable part about this book is where Nessy and Aydan’s attraction.

I liked the characters of Nessy & Aydan very much. Nessy is a smart and kick-ass sort of girl, who is confused at the beginning about why Aydan reminds her of Adam. But then that’s a part of the plot. I also love the darkness in Aydan. I was practically nodding at Azzaziel when he pointed out that Aydan had joined him out of his free will.

Overall, it’s a great read. The language and the flow of the story are smooth. The plot keeps you trapped in its grip. Action & emotion are served with great balance.