1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Binding by L.Filloon: Review & Author Interview

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

At the beginning of the story, Lily, comes off as somewhat of a loner – especially since her brother, Lucas, had disappeared on his eighteenth birthday. Eighteenth birthdays seemed to be jinxed for Lily & her family. Two days after her own big day, events unfold in such a manner that it leaves her world upside down. She is attacked by her own ‘missing’ brother only to be saved by a complete stranger who keeps a panther as a pet!

Tharin & Tolan, twin princes, appear in Lily’s life only to divulge information that shocks Lily further. Raised as a mere human, Lily is actually an elf princess who is betrothed to Tharin. Lucas had been initially abducted by the ‘Ange’ and he turned to their side. They explain that they have to take Lily to their ‘land’ Velesi at the earliest in order to keep her safe. Lily refuses to leave without her best friend Julia and so, after Tolan brings Julia with them; their journey begins with their bodyguards – Alorn, Mellis & Phoris. (Who also happen to be cousins).

What happens on the journey? Do they make it safely to Velesi? Those who are saying of course they do – do not be so sure!

Lily is a mix of all the traits that a human can possibly have. She is strong, honest, brave, caring and emotional. She is a character easy to fall in love with. Tharin, the royal prince, is stubborn, moody on the exterior but caring and gentle on the inside. His sense of responsibility and honor knows no bound. Julia is a really strong girl. Even after years of abuse, she has the capability to trust and love. Tolan is the easygoing and more sensitive version on Tharin. Alorn, Mellis & Phoris are all special in their own way. Then there’s also Harlu, Ziri and Mareck! And let’s not forget my favourite Panther – Cessa!

The author has woven a beautiful tale of love, honour and bravery with quite a bit of action, romance and heartache. Anything can happen in this whole new world of Elves, Wizards, Ocres and Shapeshifters. It was really difficult to put down the book once I started with it and really enjoyed the rollercoaster reading experience with Lily & Tharin.

I will be eagerly waiting for the next book in the series…!

5Star

Disclaimer: I received a free ebook from the author for review purpose. Beside that I did not receive any kind of payment or benefit from the author or the publishers for reviewing this book.

And Now time for a Fun-filled Interview with the AUTHOR of the book, L.Filloon

DDS: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
    LF: I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada with my husband and two cats. Life is full of football, writing, football and more writing…and after seventeen years, we’re still crazy about each other and the life we’re living. We’re very blessed to have seen our girls make it through school and living out on their own lives. They are beautiful young women and we’re so very proud of them.

DDS: What got you into writing?
    LF: I have a love affair with the written word. It is the only lover that keeps me from husband at night. What’s written on my blog about me is true. I did receive a pen from my mother one Christmas growing up in Hawaii. I believe that is when my interest in writing started, even if I was too young to understand what it would mean to me later in life.

DDS: ‘The Binding’ is your first publication, right? How does it feel to be a ‘Published Author’?
    LF: It’s an awesome feeling and at the same time surreal. I have written many stories before ‘The Binding’ but have never pushed it forward to be published. I feel like I belong to a private club of authors who have the same struggles, fears, excitement and love for the story that we want to share with the world. Receiving emails from readers…it’s still unbelievable to me how much people who I’ve never met want to learn more about the characters I’ve created and what’s next for them. It’s an awesome feeling!

DDS: Tell us about the book.
    LF: ‘The Binding’ is a YA urban fantasy about Lily Michaels and Tharin Lunar and their story came to completely by accident. I was in the middle writing a YA paranormal of angels and demons when I was hit by writer’s block. For inspiration I dug through boxes of books in my garage (as the shelves in the house were full…but didn’t have what I was looking for). Then I pulled out Tad Williams ‘Memory, Sorrow and Thorn’, a trilogy that I hadn’t read in almost twenty years. Just looking at the ‘Dragon Bone Chair’ (the first of the trilogy) I knew I wanted to write about elves. Here’s a short description of the book:

Lily is attacked, but is saved by Tharin, a Sidhe prince. Her attacker is no other than her brother, Lucas, who disappeared four years ago. Lily finds that his disappearance is somehow tied to Tharin; so when he informs her that she is his betrothed and must return with him to Velesi, fulfill a treaty and unite their clans, Lily agrees; however, she's not going for a wedding, but to bring her brother home.

DDS: What was the hardest part while writing this book?
    LF: I was very fortunate with ‘The Binding’ as it came pretty easy to me. If there was any difficult period it would be connecting all the flashes of the storyline that was in my head and putting them on paper. Wait…the hardest part wasn’t so much about the writing, but when came afterwards. Editing. Ugh.

DDS: What are your writing pet peeves?
    LF: There’s only one. Silence…I can’t concentrate in a house that’s too quiet. Either I have music on or the TV, or the sound of the blender mixing a strawberry margarita.

DDS: That's Surprising! So far I have only come across authors saying that they love 'silence' while writing. Guess, that is just another thing that sets you apart!! So, tell me, what were your sources of inspiration while naming the characters? I, for one, found them different & unique.
    LF: Believe it or not, but the hardest name I had to come up with was Lily Michaels. Tharin, Phoris, Alorn, Kalis, Kalinest, Thilthen, Cessa, Senestra and even Lilianethia came to me easily. Lily was the hardest one to name.

DDS: Now time for some fun facts about you. If ‘The Binding’ was to be turned into a movie – which Actor/actress would you like to see playing the characters?
    LF: Wow! I haven’t really thought about it. But all the actors I know are old like me…LOL! So, there’s only one actor I can think of at the moment and that would be the role of King Thilten: Viggo Mortensen…oh, I love that man. As for the young cast, I would have to take a look at who’s out there. What a fun project…I think during breaks from writing the follow-up to ‘The Binding’ I will search out who I’d chose to cast in their roles. Thanks Debdatta! Great idea!

DDS: Oh well! Do let me know when you decide! Who is your favorite author & which is your favorite book? I know it is beyond difficult, but you can name only one in each category!!
    LF: Of course, Tad Williams and his ‘Memory, Sorrow and Thorn’ trilogy. I recommend them all. I am also a big fan of Jim Butcher’s ‘Dresden’ series. Harry Dresden is a memorable character and I love the way Jim portrays him, and of course his writing is exceptional. Love all the Harry Dresden books and also highly recommend them.

DDS: How about your favorite drink and a fun incident tied to it?!
    LF: I only drink on my birthday and even then I may miss a birthday or two. Also, on those yearly occasions I only drink if my husband or sister is with me (I guess I’m not ‘myself’ when I drink). I love strawberry margaritas…I just wish I could remember what happens after that first drink.

DDS: One thing readers would be surprised to know about you…
    LF: That I don’t drink.

DDS: Are you a night owl or an early bird?
    LF: Night owl, definitely. I seem to do most of my writing at night and into the early hours.

DDS: Besides writing, what else do you enjoy?
    LF: Is there anything else but writing? On those rare occasions when I’m not writing, you can find me at work at an architecture firm, at the gym, spending time with family, or meeting up with my crazy girlfriends.

DDS: That sounds fun! When can we expect the next book in the series?
    LF: I’m in the process of writing it now, sorry no title yet… however, as of last night a small glimmer of title has been playing in my head. I hope to have the next book published by early fall. I’m look at end of September, early October 2012.

DDS: Anything else you would like to say to your readers/fans?
    LF: It has been a crazy ride since the release of ‘The Binding’ and I owe it all to you! Thank you so much for all the support and the wonderful emails and comments you’ve sent my way! And, if I complete the second book before September I will definitely let you know through my Blog or FaceBook Page. Again…thank you for reading ‘The Binding’! Love to you all!