1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Voynich Cypher by Russell Blake

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

When a sacred relic is stolen from its subterranean guarded vault, Dr. Steven Cross, amateur cryptologist, becomes embroiled in a deadly quest to decipher one of history’s most enigmatic documents – a 15th century parchment written entirely in unbreakable code; The Voynich Manuscript. Stalked by secret societies, and aided by the daughter of a murdered colleague, a trail of riddles catapults Cross from England to Italy to the Middle East, where a Byzantine web of ancient secrets leads him to a revelation so profound it will change the world order.

~~~ (Summary from Goodreads) ~~~

Though I have heard of him before, this was the first time that I got a chance to read Russell Blake’s work.

The story begins with a vivid description of how a scroll gets stolen. Right from the first line of the first chapter, the author manages to grab your attention. Then we move on to our protagonist, Steven Archer. We are given a glimpse into his life with Antonia and his life after her. Steven is the head of a software company and a cryptologist by hobby. He had managed to combine his business and pleasure by coming up with a software that deciphers cyphers. Soon contacted by a colleague’s daughter, Steven gets embroiled in a situation that could very well cost him his life.

What is a story without secret societies and some ruthless and powerful villains? While Steven & Natalie try to decode the seemingly impossible to break cypher, they are pursued by some powerful forces - some of who want to bury the secret of the cypher and some people who want to use the secret of the cypher to meet their own sadistic needs.

The author portrays a beautiful picture of the places in the story that makes you feel that you are there when it all happens. For the first time readers like me, the character of Steven Archer Cross develops right alongside Natalie. Their interaction and relationship development is also something that I enjoyed reading in this book.

The fact that this is also a fast paced story and zero dragging on uselessly, it will keep you hooked on from the first page till the last. A fantastic plot, great twists, detailed research and amazing narration is the USP of this book. It is literally unputdownable!

I am going to go back and read the other Russell Blake books as soon as I can get my hands on them!

4.5Stars

4 people like this.

2. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Hi Mohur,
    Your reviews on every book is so nice. The first thing i do after coming to office is read the book reviews. This is so energetic. Keep it up:)

KR
    Divya

1 person likes this.
  3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very nice review Mohur. Sounds like Dan Brown novel. Will definitely give it a read. Thanks for sharing the review with us.

ILT

4. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Some people say that its better than Dan Brown... Give it a try and decide for yourself

5. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Wow! Wow! What a riveting review..

Thanks for provided us information on modern day gems of historical fiction :2thumbsup:

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mohur,

Congratulations on being nominated to FP by Uttaraa!:thumbsup

I think there was an ulterior motive in Uttara's nomination. She might have chosen this post, but she has clearly implied in her nomination about the wonderful work you do of bringing reviews of books for everyone here and like Uttaraa, I am sure there are many silent admirers for your thread.

As a matter of fact, I have to thank Uttaraa for directing me here! You certainly have brought many books to the forum with a wonderful introduction, vividly written reviews and one need not look far and wide when wanting to grab that next book.

I must admit that I am not reading much these days!:hide: I certainly want to change that and then, I know where I will be searching for the next book..in one of your threads!

Thank you Mohur for this great job you do!

As for this particular book, it reminds me too of Dan Brown's DaVinci, Angels and Demons etc...can't help! :)

L, Kamla

7. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Thank You Kamla for the kind words... And thanks to Uttaraa for the nomination.

I love reading and so I enjoy doing this!

As for the book, It has been compared to Da Vinci Code a lot. They are both very good.