1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Book sale in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Sofea, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    Not sure where to post this, so posting this here! Just came here to share my experience at one of the most wonderful book sales here in Malaysia.

Not sure how many of you guys know this, but there’s an amazing book sale going on in Malaysia currently with almost 75-90% discounts on each book. I didn’t think much about the sale til’ I went there myself last weekend. Oh my God! The venue is just HUGE! It has loads of parking bays and there’s even free tram rides from the parking area to the book sale hall- so you don’t have to worry how to carry your book loads from the hall to your car. Cool huh?:thumbsup

And the books? Dear heavens! Where do I even begin? I’ve never seen a sight more beautiful than this! Everywhere you look, there’s just rows and rows of never-ending books. I mean this must be a book lover’s best ever dream right?
    There’s just such vast collection of books; from non-fiction novels to science fictions, travel guide book, spiritual guides, cook books, coffee table books, classic stories, children’ books, comics, magazines and what not. And with such great discounts, you can just see how people were just buying bags an bags of books to be taken back home.

I bought two bags full of books myself- some recipe books for my mom, countless children story books for my nephew and loads of fiction novels for myself. I haven’t even had the time to check the books yet. I just grabbed them as I saw them on the tables. But I do remember I bought a few of Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic series, Susan E Phillips’ Heaven Texas, and some books of Lauren Weisberger, Chitra Divakaruni, and a rather cute novel called Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter. In fact, I’ve just started reading this novel, so will definitely talk more about it later.

Talking about Sophie Kinsella, lovers of Kinsella are definitely in treat here! There was about 15,0000 copies of various Kinsella books sold here for just RM8 each. And though I’ve heard about Kinsella, I never really read any of her books, so I decided to grab four of her novels- Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic and Sister, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan & Can You Keep A Secret. Can’t wait to read those!

All in all, there must be about 25 books that I’ve purchased for an amount of RM185 in total. That’s RM7.50 per book! -Which of course is reeeaally cheap I’m telling you, since books are usually sold for a higher price here. A normal novel would cost about RM39 per book on a normal day and here I’m buying each for just RM8! Yipeee…

For those in Malaysia, please do pay a visit to this amazing fare! Details of this are there on the Big Bad Wolf facebook at Big Bad Wolf Books - INVASION ALERT | Facebook
    For those who didn’t have the opportunity to make it, the following is just a glimpse of how the book warehouse was:-
    Big Bad Wolf Books - INVASION ALERT | Facebook

As for me, I’m going back there for more book hunt! Yaaay!
    [/JUSTIFY]

1 person likes this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sofea
    For a man who was once a voracious reader but now an internet addict, your narration of the Malaysian Book Fair brought back some nostalgic memories. I recall the days when I went gaga at the sight of thousands of books arrayed beautifully in these Fairs.

I would be interested in knowing your views on Me and Darcy by Ms.Potter. The 'Me' of the novel, Emily struck me as an awkward, sarcastic, and outspoken book lover but then all book lovers have this trait in some degree! Darcy is a classic creation of Jane Austen and no real man can ever measure up to him. The idea of Ms.Potter is novel but I would consider this book as a timid and disjointed remake of a classic best. Maybe because I am crazy about Pride and Prejudice, I am prejudiced about Ms.Potter's book. I would really love to her your view.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  3. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Wow!! Sofea.. Just thirlled to see the book fair. Thank you for such information and at the time I envy for getting so many books at such a rate.

Happy Reading dear and do post your views, I would to love read your analysis

1 person likes this.
  4. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi Cheeniya,

Thanks for your reply. Me and Mr. Darcy was quite alright for a chick lit though. It hardly have anything to do with Austen's Darcy actually, except for the fact that the lead female character is in love with the fictitious character of Mr. Darcy. I've penned my thoughts here. The novel wasn't so great that you got to own a copy of it yourself, nor was it so bad. :-D

5. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your reply Pallavi :) I've penned a few of my thoughts on some of the books in the "what are you reading" thread. But I will definitely blog about some of the books in time to come. Will definitely let you know about this :-D