1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

coconut oil on body?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by dimple7, Sep 21, 2013.

1. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

can we use coconut oil as body oil?
    if yes.......then is there any special brand ...or can we use the normal bottle of coconut hair oil on body too? eg. parachute coconut oil...?
    can we apply it on face too?
    overall.........
    is it harmful?
    please let me know

2. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Hi,

coconut oil is very good for overall health of the body.. But always try to get extra virgin coconut oil. Regular coconut oil is extracted from copra or dried coconut...those have high cholesterole content and has a strong smell.

The extra virgin one is pleasant smelling and hag lower level of cholesterol...thus good when taken internally or applied on skin. It can be applied on both body and face. It really makes the skin smooth ..thus is a very good moisturizer.

But before you apply on your face try on your arms or legs. Some people may have more oily facial skin and applying oil can result in erruptions.
    so try in small areas before you apply it on the whole face. We have harsh winters in US,that really dries out our skin..and coconut oil is what i use as a moisturizer..it works for my family.

regards

4 people like this.
  3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

My MIL can never complete her bath if she does not apply coconut oil on her body. This is her habit since her childhood and her skin is clear and flawless. She uses Parachute.

3 people like this.
  4. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

really....? you mean she uses Parachute Coconut oil ...(that regular hair oil) on her body?

5. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

oh thanks dear! but can you refer me some good brands selling extra virgin coconut oil? and whats the price? are they available in india?

6. rkgurbani

Yes, Parachute oil is a regular item on our provision list. I too have tried it many times and my skin did not need a moisturizer that full day.

2 people like this.
  7. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

thanks......but what did 'soulsong' try to mean? is parachute not suitable....according to her?

8. rkgurbani

Hey Dimple...you prompted me to run a quick search on what is extra virgin coconut oil.

SOURCE ..Garden of Life - Empowering Extraordinary Health
    [h=1]Extra Virgin Coconut Oil[/h]
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on pinterest_shareMore Sharing Services33

16 and 32oz Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is among the healthiest, most versatile dietary oils in the world. An excellent culinary oil with its natural coconut flavor and aroma, we think it is simply the best tasting, most aromatic coconut oil on the planet.

• Contains meat from only the freshest, organically grown coconuts
    • Produced using the same methods Philippine farmers have used for centuries
    • Helps maintain already healthy levels of cholesterol and thermogenesis
    • Great for low carbohydrate diets
    • Can be used in place of butter. Enjoy in cooking, frying, baking or in smoothies
    • RAW, vegan, non-GMO, not hydrogenated, refined, bleached or deodorized
    • Available in 16 oz. and 32 oz. jars
    Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a stable, healthy, naturally saturated fat that is free from trans-fatty acids. It contains medium-chain fatty acids, including lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid which are readily converted to energy by the body. Consumption of coconut oil at recommended levels, along with a healthy diet and lifestyle, helps maintain already healthy levels of cholesterol.
    [​IMG]
    Unlike refined coconut oils, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is not hydrogenated, bleached, refined or deodorized. It is produced using the same methods farmers have used for centuries. Meat from only the freshest, organically grown coconuts is shredded and cold-pressed to create coconut milk, then filtered and separated to extract only the highest quality oil.

I was not too sure myself...but I would happily use good old Parachute.

2 people like this.
  9. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

Always go for the virgin one. I think parachute contains some artificial flavours. I am from kerala and in my native we don't buy coconut oil in packets. We buy it loose in shops ie made locally which is very pure and strong coconut smelling, no artificial agents for odour. I suggest extra virgin. Those are better.

3 people like this.
  10. rkgurbani

Dear Abinaya...thanks for the input. I must convey this to my MIL as she uses coconut oil everyday after her bath. She once told me she uses Parachute because it does not have a heady and heavy coconutty smell that would linger the whole day.

I used to use pure mustard oil everyday before I got married. It worked wonders on my skin. However, after marriage, I just started using coconut oil, though not regularly.

1 person likes this.