1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gift Suggestion for my Nephew

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by Rakhii, May 31, 2011.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, my nephew is turning one in July. My sister in law decided not to host a big party but i cant host it for her either for the fear of offending her by offering to host her son's party.

Now, my budget is $300-400. So, gold is out of the question. Can someone suggest me what is an appropriate gift for a one year old? I am buying him a new outfit and also baking a cake for him. Other than that, what else will be of use to a one year old?

can some one please suggest me? Thank you!

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

So great that you are celebrating your nephew's birthday.

You can start an Savings Account for him. My brother does it for all the kids in our family. He gives money for birthdays and other festivals like Diwali and Christmas.

Think about it. Enjoy the party.

CL:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

3. Rakhii

Thanks CL, my hubby was also saying that we shoud start something like that or just add to what they already created in his name. But 1st B'day na...so i was hoping something different. Lets see :)

4. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakhii,

You can give him gift card from shops.So he can buy whatever he likes.

5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi dear,

You can plant a sapling on this eve and can show this to him/her when he gets grown up..and tell the importance of greenery on our EARTH.Sorry if i have disappointed you :)

Happy occasion :)my hearty wishes to ur nephew :)

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

You can buy something in silver, golsu, silver plate or something else

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Rakhii, 300-400$ is a considerable amount of money for gift for a year old. As they needs vary by stages and often quickly, it is more difficult to buy stuff for them. I agree with the suggestion of an account, atleast partly. Other than that, you can use part of that money may be to buy a bed something in the bedroom if they are still in the process of getting it set up. I understand your sentiment of wanting to buy a gift, if it is something he will enjoy then you can easily shop around and buy, else I personally prefer some kind of personalized gift from "thingsremembered" - I like the quality of their items and it can be very special too.

8. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Rakhii, I know you are looking for material ideas, but apart from simple things/toys/stuff kids that age will quickly outgrow things you get them.

A better option might be to maybe invest it somewhere (set up a 529 plan or its equivalent in Canada, or buy him some stocks or something) ... given that they're only 1yr old, it will grow and really come in handy when they're going off to college.

Also, if the SIL doesn't want a big party, she probably doesn't want big ticket items either... so if you get something grand, it kinda runs the risk of disrespecting her choices about her kid.

The best bet might be to set up some sort of investment/college plan, and tell the parents that they could take it over, or you might occassionally want to add to it in the later years or something too. It will be much appreciated a couple of years down the line when the principal has grown, and they are in need of those funds while going away for college or something.

9. Rakhii

Latha, yes for sure I will consider this if I don’t find anything else. I usually give gift cards for weddings and all.

Spuppala, A great idea! I have lots of space in our cottage. I will plant a tree on his behalf on his name. Of course this is not a gift itself but sure a great start about going green. I am sure he will appreciate it while growing up.

Vijima, thanks so much for the suggestion. This time I will have to pass on gold/silver items coz 1) I cant afford gold right now 2) we just gave him something silver. But thank you so much for stopping by.

Swama, I have been trying to open thingsremembered but somehow unable to. Will login from home and check again. Personalized gifts are also a great idea!

Dhaanika, thank you so much for the great idea of buying a few stocks. I have run this by my hubby and he is agreeing that it’s a cool idea. Going forward, every year on his B’day we can add a few more shares and he can sell them later when he needs it!

So ladies, here is what I am thinking to do, the below 5 items together shoud make the parents and the kid happy.

• Buy a few stocks
    • Bake a cake
    • buy a new outfit
    • Plant a tree
    • Some new toy

What say? Thank you so much ladies!

10. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

wow..All these 5 things together will make the kid and the entire family happy.Your nephew is a lucky boy:crazy