1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

need tips for maintaining vegetables

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Abha, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey ladies

i have this problem, which i never faced while in India...

i buy vegetables every week... and store everything in refirgerator, but tomatoes and green chillies start getting fungus on them, in 3-4 days... i dont understand how come they get fungus while in refirgerator... this never use to happen in India... is it because the vegetables we get in India are fresh and these vegetables we buy here are old and dont know how long they have been lying on the shelves of the stores...

also i always buy 1 gallon milk, but it always gets sour before the expiry date.. i wonder wats the matter...

can someone let me know please...

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

It had happened to me too as soon as i came to US. Always u need to take extra care with vegs. Reg milk, it happens sometimes, try to use bfr the expiry date.

vegs like beans, avaraikai, kothavarangai shd be wrapped in tissue and then in cloth and keep in firdge.Take it out once in 4 to 5 days and check it, if needed change the tissue.

coriander leaves shd immediately washed,dried and remove stem from leaves and store in ziploc.

green chillies - remove kaambu and store in a box.

i hope this helps

san

3. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Abha

I am hearing this about milk for the first time.Where do you buy your milk from? If you get this from your Indian Grocer,pls don't do that.Try to buy only items that you do not get in the American supermarkets at the Indian Grocer.That I think will solve the issue.The fruits and vegetables and milk at the American supermarkets are always fresh.Here, we get from Safeway,Albertsons,Raleys and Bel-air.

Tomatoes,do you keep them in covers? Try to keep in an open vessel or a plastic bowl and keep the bowl inside the fridge.For Ginger-wrap ginger in a kitchen towel/tissue and keep inside a cover.You can do this kitchen towel thing for almost all greens and herbs.For Cilantro/coriander leaves,line a plastic airtight container with kitchen towel/tissue and wash the leaves,dry on a towel for about 1-2 hrs and keep inside the container in the fridge.Green chillies if you remove the stem or don't,I find it does not stay long.Maybe two weeks at the most.

1 person likes this.
  5. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Abha,

First check your fridge settings. Just make suitable adjustment. That is, reduce the degree and keep it around 16 to 18 degrees or from ‘low’ to ‘high’ chill. Check this for 2 days and if you want you can make more adjustment as per your requirements.

For keeping vegetables fresh please go through my thread. :) We can store green chilies for even more than 6 months by keeping them in the freezer.

You can refer in Miscellaneous forum,' Kitchen tips for newly married and settled abroad ' and ' Kitchen tips 'also.

Please give me your feed back.

6. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey everybody thanks soo much for your advice..

i got milk from walmart all these times that it expired, so i think, i'll drop it and will get milk from target from now onwards...

great tips for tomatoes sunitha.. thanks

and krishnamma i'll definitely chek temp of my friedge... and will go thru your thread as well

thanks again

Take care
    ~Abha

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Abha,

Here is the link, where I posted about green chilies. Please check this out.

There you can see the Green chillies photo with ice. Which I kept 35 days in the freezer.:-D

So to keep veg. fresh you can keep them in the freezer.

8. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Abha,

Maybe you would like to try the following tips also:

1. Like green chillies, you can store curry leaves also - remove leaves from stalks and store in plastic box lined with tissue or newspaper.

2. For storing fresh flowers, first removed damaged flowers and store in plastic box lined with thick newspaper - stays good for a week to ten days -- (since we visit the temple once a week, we buy flowers and store them till our next visit)

3. Coriander leaves can be washed, cut and stored in the freezer, but should be used for rasam, gravy dishes only. It cant be used for chaat items, etc

I hope this is of some help.

9. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi! Abha,

You've got some great tips from our members.

I too had the same problem initially with green chillies & curry leaves. I was at my wit's end wondering what i could do to keep it fresh.

Then i just thought of freezing it & it worked. Both chillies & curry leaves stay fresh for a long time when frozen.

With milk, you could try buying it from an american grocery store, since most people buy there, they have fresh stock & it's also reasonably priced when compared to stores like Target for example.

Cheers!
    Ragini.

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,like Ragini says,I get 2 gallons of milk every week for $4.59 because I get that from Safeway.Safeway has been having this offer for more than a year now.