1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

IRON KADAI / erumbu ekupachatti

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by latamurali, Dec 5, 2008.

1. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Friends

iam inspired by uses of Erumbu elupachatti, and got one .......a month back nearly for more than 10 days, daily used to clean it and fill it with water, for cleaning the rust, but till this date, its not ove, whenever i clean and keep, ther will be rust formation onceagain, dont know what to do, and atleast my met one elderly relative , she gave me this idea

WASH IT OFF NICELY AND FILL IT WITH DRINKING WATER AND SALT AND BOIL IT NICELY DAILY, and after that wipre it off and apply coconut oil for a week or 10days, then use it....IS IT ENOPUGH, if you have any experince plese share it here....

Started doing this from today, still need some more suggesstions, pls......

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear LM,
    I have a Iron Ilupakarandi - slightly a big one with a looong handle (used for seasoning). Every day i use it and I wash it with a scrubber and immediately wipe it clean with kitchen towel and dry it in sun(in balcony). If i leave the water droplets on it alone, i find rust, else its clean.

Thanks for the idea on coconut oil,Water+salt. Let me try it out next time.
    I'm all ears for any other suggestion.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi lm,

i have followed you here.. I used to have two non stick tavas one for dosa and one for adai/rotis..somehow, with my morning busy schedule the dosas used to not come if the roti's were made before..

I got fascinated seeing someone i know make adai's on a iron tava...so i brought one last year..now i have a good tempered one, that has become a shiny one, in the centre....

i always leave a little oil rubbed on it to keep it in shining condition...

to bring it to the condition of use, initially, i used to rub in the left over water of the mavadu..on it..then clean it..sometimes it was very sour curds... overnight..and give it a good scrub with the metal scrubber in the mornings....

i have heard people rub sliced onions..or rub with cut ladyfinger heads that we usually throw :idea

it has to come to the stage where when you wipe a tissue, it should not discolor...

and after cleaning, ensure it is dry or it tends to get rusted because of the hardness of water.

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

oh my dear shanthi and aishu

Thank you so much, it was bothering my mind like anything, since i paid around 300 for that, and its simply not in use

shanthi, let me try all ur tips and give u fb...

5. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

I have an Iron Dosa tava at home which ha not been used at all.I want to start using it but it looks slightly rusted. Kindly tell me what must be done to start using it.Actually i want to make chappatis in it.