1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala,

yes. I agree. Our planning will be different as both of our situations are different. What you are doing is wonderful, that you plan for the week, grind and keep everything ready in fridge, which saves you lot of time.

I 100 % agree on "Don’t do anything tomorrow what can be done today." as the tomorrow or later never comes.

Today as usual got up at 5 cooked BB and AB as planned. Made chapathis for DH's evening snack (rolled with jam as he prefers to eat in his seat itself) Before bath did treadmill walking, brushed the big single carpet. Put clothes for washing. Doing some stock follow-ups (though not a serious trader), checking mails and IL. Planning to do some mending / re-stitching work of dresses of DD, DS, cut and start stitching a salwar. To stitch some screens. Dh says to give it to concerned tailor. Yet to decide. Evening and night plans as usual.

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala and Manju

Thanks for your warm welcome. After having coffee logged in to IL to see the messages , also heard 3rd Chapter of Narayaneeyam. Today after taking bath came to the kitchen at 7 a.m. Kept Boiling water for drinking in one stove, boiled water for Rice and then milk in one. In the meantime took out one glass rice , washed it and after the water started boiling put the rice. Cut white pumpkin for making morkuzambu and after the water boiled kept for morkuzambu. Kneaded wheat flour for making phulkas. Then fried one spoon tur dal, chana dal , red chilli and some pepper for grinding with coconut for morkuzambu. After ten minutes put of the gas in which the rice was boiling.

Cut onion and tomatoes. In oil put rai , then urad dal, chana dal, green chilli, ginger and when the rai was ready put onions fried that little then put the tomatoes. This i made to grind and mix it in the simla mirch and potato bhaji. In the meantime cut chillies and grinded it with tamarind and took out the onion , tomatoes and put oil in the kadai and put the chillies and tamarind paste . When that was getting ready cut simla mirch and potatoes. When the pumpkin was cooked took it out and kept kadai put oil , then rai , urad dal , when it was ready put the simla mirch and potatoes , salt and haldi. Covered it with a lid and kept little water on a kinnam so that it will get fried nicely. After this was ready mixed it with the onion and tomato paste and added little sambhar powder. Scraped coconut grinded with the fried tur dal etc and then added to the morkuzambu. At 8 a.m. strained the water from the rice which was ready. Then made phulkas . By 8.15 a.m . everythign was eady. Gave chapathi with bhaji, morkuzambu and chilli thokku to dh. Waited for his comment . He said everything is ok only to add little salt to the chilli thokku.

Then lighted the diya after putting chandan kumkum . After getting up , after brushing the teeth we usually light the diya and then have coffee. Told my prayers and today had time to read 10 chapters of Narayaneeyam. So felt very happy. So this was my morning session.

Hope I did not bore you all with my bla bla

3 people like this.
  3. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Awesome topic and interesting routines ! I wish to contribute here too. I'll do it tonight when i am done with my work for the day.

1 person likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Vijiakka.

Luv2smile
    Welcome and happy to hear that you will be contributing too. We would all luv2 hear from you. Please feel free to share.

Please remember you do not have to be perfect... Even if you are not able to complete something please share; because life happens and we cannot be stringent all the time.
    This morning I completed all my cooking in 45 minutes.
    I have four burners in my stove and that helps too.
    6:15 -
    • Placed idlis in idli cooker for steaming.
    • Washed the soaked channa 3-4 times in clear water and placed in pressure cooker. Placed whole beetroots too without water.
    • Cooked sambar in another pan. While sambar was cooking...
    • Heated oil in a frying pan and started frying prepared ladysfinger
    • Placed rice in cooker
    • Placed curds, thuvaiyal, and chutney outside to get to room temperature.
    • Washed dishes.
    • Did a quick swipe of the kitchen counters and a quick sweep.

Eveing after coffee
    • made chapathis.
    • Prepared the chole
    • While chole was cooking, cooked some green-gram dhal.
    • peeled the cooled beetroot, and cut it into small cubes.
    • Roasted for tomato kuzhambu, let cool.
    was done by 6:30 pm.

Then when I started to de-cluttering my living room my husband asked me to take a break today. It is my birthday. So rest of the evening I relaxed with a book.

After dinner watched some recorded TV programs and am now documenting this.

Will see you tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  5. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Happy borthday kamala !! wish you a wonderful year ahead

6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala

Belated Birthday wishes.

Thank you Viji Aunty.
    welcome love2 smile. Very eager to read your inputs.

Yesterday was quite normal. Starting from May my DD will not have her music class for a month. For dinner I had prepared chappathi dough. Then gave company to my DS while he was doing his assignment, I cut cabbage for today. Mil prepared dosa for fil and herself, had their dinner during that time.

When my DH came it was 8.30, as soon as he entered that he doesn't want chappathis for night as he had the jam spread chappathis very late, which I usually give for his evenings (I am particular on his diet). He preferred to have curd rice. So prepared curd rice, seasoned it, served with Yam masiyal and vendhaya kuzhambu. I ate morning's chapathi. Stored the dough for today's morning use.

Today morning as planned got up at 5 did cabbage curry, lemon rice, made chappathis (for break time snack as he has lunch time at 1.45 this week) for DS. Put kolam in the front. Then made murungakai sambar, rasam and keerai after bath. Mil usually cooks draping 9 yard saree, the second rice which is used for neyvedhyam. (Fil's attempt failed, as he was getting a different consistency of rice each day). Our morning b/f was oats porridge for DS, mil and DH. Made Quinoa porridge with buttermilk, salt, fenugreek and asafoetida for me and DD (Mom brought from US. Wondering where I get it in India). Skipped walking.

Being holiday today (may 1st), DH wants to go out somewhere, may be a movie. May be I should take a break to accompany. But will be missing my DS who will come only by 5.30 PM.

Regards
    manjukps

1 person likes this.
  7. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Hello friends, thanks for the warm welcome. I was in no mood today to post this but just thought i will share with after being inspired by all your posts.

I wake up very late around 7 in the mrng...that's my routine every day...reason i sleep almost by midnight and my kids wakes up atlast 5 times in the night !

My husband had to leave early today and i prepared chappathi and sabji quickly for him and then my daughter and i had the same for our b/f too

for lunch i prepared sambhar and potato roast for me and DD

snack I tried to make vella appam with left over aappam batter but the attempt failed and i had to prepare sundal. I made aaloo paratha for my DD and fed her with milk

dinner : we had the same as lunch

In between this i watered my plants and did 2 loads of laundry...yet to fold one load of clothes.

I also visited a near by temple in the evening with my DD

then had to put my DD to bed which takes almost an hour

then i had to wash the dishes and clean the kitchen and sleep by midnight as usual

today i missed to broom the house n fold clothes ...hopefully i'll do it tmw.

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Manju, Thank you luv2 smile.
    Both for your wishes and for your valuable inputs.
    This morning I finished my cooking in 45 minutes again. This is a 50% reduction in time while earlier I took 1.5 hours.
    Goes to show planning and prep does pay off its rewards.

According to my guru “flylady”, this month’s habit is “Moving” – Exercise 15 minutes a day.
    Looks like we already have begun that.

It’s been a week since I started reporting to you and now that the details are in print I could see how I am not able to accomplish many things.

My garden appears to be foremost on my mind. The entire flower bed is ridden with deep-rooted weeds. It takes at least 2 hours to get a 2 sq.ft section cleared. I would like to have that one completed before two things happen – 1. The summer heat 2. Notice from our home-owners’ association.
    So until the flower bed is done, I decided to not worry about this week’s zone until Saturday. The rooms are quite clean and you can visit me anytime; so I’ll just do a general clean up on Saturday.

This evening after coffee etc. armed with spade, pitchfork, gloves and my iPhone for music, I walked into the yard ready to battle the weeds. But it started drizzling and dark clouds moved in with a lot of rumbling. So aborted my mission and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Checked my e-mail and had some information from facebook. I logged in to see my friend had sent a congratulatory message on my winning the finest post for April. Immediately logged on to IL and stared responding to the announcement and the other messages.

I stepped in my base forum, “snippets”; read megalife’s hilarious article and nominated it for finest post.
    Manju, loved your hilarious experiences just as much!

My de-cluttering for today?...what decluttering?!

For tomorrow: I pressure cooked the frozen “Mocchai payaru” (Papdi lilva). The eggplant (brinjal) cannot be cut early. The paruppu thuvaiyal is already done.

Hopefully I’ll get back on track tomorrow.
    Today in a nutshell:
    Exercise: 60%
    Cooking- 100%
    Cleaning- 10 % the regular bathroom and kitchen.
    See you all tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  9. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Today i woke up at 6.00 Am and done with my cooking before 8.00 AM.
    I too went through the site Fly ladies, as per the baby steps now i make sure that i have a clean sink always and clear kitchen platform.

As per my schedule i cannot do any extra work in morning other than cooking.
    Hence listed few work i have to do it on this evening, also will let you know whether i have done it or not in tomorrow session of writing.

I have a plan for shopping, have to buy deo for DH and some vegtables for this week cooking.
    once i get in i have to steam rice for dinner and have to make my home by brooming and decluttering & have to fold clothes.

Hopefully will try to restart my yoga from tomorrow (not done it for 2 weeks) and also planning to iron clothes on previous day night itself(which i always do it before bathing).

Magee

2 people like this.
  10. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

ahhh another hectic ..all my time today was taken with my DD...she was totally cranky today and had to hold her full time..she just slept for 1 hr in the noon and 30 mins in the eve..in between which i managed to finish my cooking. I grinded dosa batter today with so many breaks. ( had to run to attend my baby who was very cranky today)

I also did a load of laundry of my DD's clothes..yet to fold it and clean the house. I am yet to sweep the floors...just did the kitchen cleaning and washing the dishes only. that itself got too hectic for me. very tired for the day.

I wish to get active on the physical exercise part but first i want to clean my home and then start with that.

note : I love this thread...helps me pour out all my frustration n happiness and makes me to think of doing things more productively.

Hope i have a happy day tmw !

2 people like this.