1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

Today woke up by 6.08AM, completed loading washing machine, washing vessels and made Dal Makhani and Ragi chappathi for both breakfast and lunch, after lunch went to get monthly provision taken a list in my hand and just bought that...this time avoided the extra pick ups.
    Then on the way went to sister in law home and spent the evening there...DH also came there after dinner we came to our home...

Rest in next .... bye

Hi mahesaran,

Yeah yes, we often go there...it brings a peace in mind...

4 people like this.
  2. kika

kika Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,

Last week was pretty much inactive due to the bed rest.

Last Wednesday, DS's cold got down due to meds and was supposed to go to doc that day. But I wasn't able to walk even up to the car,

saturday
    Took him to doctor. Walked upto the car with walker and then in hospital used wheelchair facility. DS finally got his immunizations after 2 weeks delay.
    sat with DD to finish homework. ( just 2 pages, she was willing to do.). Last week due to my injury, she did homework with my dad, got hit few times ( she is too naughty, actually my dad is a very patient person) . So she choose to cooperate with me than to deal with Grandpa. :)
    The house was a mess, did lot of hot spot drills using walker. used everyone's help to put things in place. Put all of DD's toys in store room.

4 things that mainly make up for clutter at home.
    1. Clothes ( unwashed,to be folded , folded to be put back)
    2. Paper ( mails, magazines, newspapers etc)
    3. Toys or children items
    4. Things that do not have a home.

Finally I got my sanity back and the house was in order.
    DH arrived at 3 am. So my sleep was gone as he called to tell me he landed, waiting for baggage, taking cab etc.,
    Went to bed at 4 am.

sunday

Life is back after DH's arrival. Got a new zeal. Did all my routines with walker. Got help whenever needed. The day went playing with DD and DS.
    DD got pampered with lollipops, cookies, MW popcorn, she was so demanding and decided to give me tough time demanding for knick knacks. Didn't want regular food :)
    DH got KG books from US, I made her do 2 pages in the evening. Told her its a game book and she was all ready for it. Adding this to my evening routine now.

monday

Did my routines. My dad has been helping me with washing cloth diapers as I am still not bac to normal.
    Made DD do 2 more pages from the KG book.
    Asked maid to prepare aloo filling and red chutney for dinner. Using walker, stood and prepared crisp mysore masala dosa for everyone except me. ( there was no masal left :))
    Was happy to see everyone enjoying it.

My responses little later. I missed you all.

4 people like this.
  3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Magee,
    I think we practice a different version of this slogam dear it goes like "Palum theli thenum pagum paruppum ivai nalum kalanthu-unakku naan tharuven, kolam chei thunga karimukathu thoo-maniye, nee yenakku sanga thamiz moondrum thaa"
    Nice to know your house is close to beach, so you can enjoy lovely evening walks and the breeze will also be quite nice in the mornings and evenings :)

@Pooja,
    Welcome to this wonderful thread :)

@Shara,
    Rotating toys is a wonderful idea with young children :)

@Sound,
    Hope you are having a wonderful vacation :)

@Gorgeous,
    Happy to know your older one has recovered. Hope younger one has also recovered fully by now.

@Jeni,
    Glad to know you are better dear.

@Kika,
    Happy to know you are now mobile using a walker and your DH is back. Take care dear :)

@Mahe, Gae, Manju,Anupama,
    Hi dears, its nice to read all your updates.

@KK,
    Seems like a lot of things are going on for you. Take care dear and come back soon :)

3 people like this.
  4. AkilaMani

My updates:
    The long weekend was nice. We too our kids to the beach on thursday early morning to watch sunrise. It was such a wonderful thing to do. We sat and watched the sun come up from behind the clouds boardering the oceanline. We had a great time playing frisbee and swing and returned home for breakfast.

The other three days of the weekend was spent in homeworks, dance class, office work for both me and DH, cooking, cleaning etc.

Yesterday, I had to drag myself to office after the nice weekend. I prepared breakfast and packed lunch in the morning and MIL prepared dinner in the evening. We went to order my younger DD's b'day cake (its on 21st) and she chose a venilla buttercream Rupenzel cake :) Returned home with a box of cream buns which the kiddos finished off after dinner.

Got them to bed by 10 pm and went for a brisk walk of 4 km and returned home at 11.15 after buying bread on the way.

Today - prepared french toast for breakfast for kids (had leftover chappati and subzi for us), mixed channa sundal, peas pulav, and curd rice for lunch. Kept dhal and cut chow-chow for MIL to make sambar later. helped dd with PPT (final touch) she is presenting today on thesiya thinam (national day of SG), got both dds ready for school, and dh dropped them. Got ready and was off to office by 8.30 am.

3 people like this.
  5. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi everybody, nice to see you all after a long weekend.
    Today my day started at 5:15. prepared aloo-soya gravy with pulkas for lunch , dosa and corrainder chutney for break fast. Hubby left early to book the train tickets for the dasara holiday. Yesterday we missed to book on the 60 th day. so 1 day delay. Ds woke up by himself at 6:10. After hubby left, gave some test to ds (his quarterly exams are commencing on next Thursday, oral exam is going on). Till then i did SN. Prepared dosa and feed him. He wore white kurtha and pyjama for the Independence day celebration. The bus was 1/2 an hr late(some transportation problem in the school). Then i took my cycle, it was punctured. Then i went to a friends house for cycling(static), She is going tomorrow to her native so she want to meet me.
    After coming back prepared bajra dosa and watched tv for 1/2 an hour while having bf. Then started my work.
    Went to give to dress for pressing, extended my walk to get the flowers(now itself so costly bcoz of V pooja on Friday, so i want to store the flowers, but didn't available, again have to go in the evening), bought milk as ds(his duty to buy milk) left early, today i forget to buy while dropping ds. After coming back boiled milk, washed vessels and kitchen counter, soaked dresses for hand wash, swept the floor, washed the clothes, removed the bed spread and pillow cover from the bed, prepared (tried)oats masala kichadi and oats burfi for the first time. I liked the both and had 6 pieces of oats burfi till now. Now in IL. need to do- dry the clothes, make the bed, fold the clothes , and the main work to help ds in studies, prepare bhendi curry and pulkas.
    Will reply for the posts tomorrow. Take care.

2 people like this.
  6. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kika,

Take care of your health first, don't stress too much, once you are back to normal you can continue the household chores....once again take care dear.

Hi Friends!

Today woke up late by 7.30 AM, made chappathi and dal for break fast and Brinjal rasavangi and pappad for lunch.
    Swept and mopped the floor, washed poojai vessels.
    Cleaned the floors of bathroom then took bath and went to Tuesday prayer for near by temple...
    Now in front of IL..

Rest in next bye...

3 people like this.
  7. AkilaMani

Hi Mahe,
    Its always a pleasure to read your updates :) nice to know you enjoyed the oats burfi. Could you please share the reciepe?

Hi Magee,
    Nice to know you have a routine with visiting temples during weekdays... great dear :)

My updates:
    Yesterday - Had work till 7.15, reached home by 8.30 pm. Saw that DH was sitting amidst the contents of our dressing table trying to figure out which goes where:spin Turns out that DDs were playing dressup and dance and in the process of dressup the dresser was messed up :-D.

Chatted for a few minutes with DDs enquired about their day at school and younger dd's learning journey. Then sent them off to play in their room and said to DH that I will handle it, so he got up relieved :rotfl
    8.45 to 9 pm: Sorted and arranged the dresser and in the process discarded broken / unwanted stuff.

9 pm - Sat for dinner with DH and MIL, kids had already eaten and were playing.

9.20 pm - Asked DH to get kiddos to bed and cleaned up the kitchen - washed utensils, scrub cleaned the countertop, stove top and backsplash. Washed the sink and used baking soda and hot water to clear the drain. I do this once in a week or two to keep the drains clean and clog free.

A quick tip on maintaing a clog free drain:

Put baking soda/powder in the sink drain-hole and pour boiling water over it. Not too much, just enough to disolve the powder and get it going. After 10 minutes pour in more boiling water to clear it all the way. Doing this once a week or so will keep the drain from getting clogged and smelly.

Also using a sink filter helps reduce the amount of food particles entering the drain.
    [​IMG]

Ok back to update:
    Swept the hall and kitchen. Wiped the open surfaces like the dining table, coffee table, shoe cabinet top and TV cabinet top as I swept. Discarded the rubish and put fresh plastic bag to the bin, and was done by 9.50. DDs had slept by then.

10 pm: DH & I went for a 4 km brisk walk and returned by 11 pm:thumbsup

7 people like this.
  8. JeniFlora

JeniFlora Gold IL'ite

Kamala mam,

I am in maternity leave and going to join on sep 12.

From yesterday morning, again maid is absent. Yesterday wakeup at 7am. Sent dd to school. Prepared b'fast and lunch. Loaded w/m and spread them for dry. Cleaned the vessels and kitchen counter top. Cleaned and arranged 3 kitchen cabinets and utensils.

Evening had a 10mins brisk walk and went to pickup dd. Gave milk and biscuits to dd. Cleaned the home and vessels. Prepared dinner and have along with dd and dh. Went to bed by 1.30am

Today wakeup at 6.30am. Sent dd to school. prepared b'fast and lunch. Today I have to clean the remaining 1 kitchen cabinet and utensils.

From tomorrow onwards,i am going to give rice kanji to ds. so today i am doing the preparations to grind it in mixie. Now taking some rest by spending time in IL

4 people like this.
  9. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hi Akila, Just want to add up an info regarding the kitchen sink to be clog free....my plumber recently told this info. The real culprit of the clog is the oil vessels which we clean off in the sink. So that the oil gets formed a layer in the corners and edges of the tubes and it easily attracts the other particles which comes from the sink and in a long run it makes a huge clog. So better not to clean the oil pans/ kadais directly. We can use any kitchen tissues rolls or newspaper to take away the excess oil in the pans and then if we wash the utensils we can make our sink clog free for some more days. Of course the foremost option is to keep the strainer in the sink to collect all the tiny particles too.
    Just want to post this info which i recd from my plumber.thanks.

10 people like this.
  10. AkilaMani

Hi Bhucat,

Thanks for that info dear, I never knew that. Usually we only strain out the oil before putting the vessel in the sink, wiping off the vessel with newspaper is a great idea. Thanks again :)

1 person likes this.