1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Kamla
    Thank you for such lovely feedback. I am trying to be organized Kamla. In my opinion home is one of the most dynamic of all organizations - constantly changing in demands.
    As a young bride i used to wish there was guide book.
    This is just my attempt to be of help to some young home-maker.

I am happy at the support i have received from all the contributors in this thread and cannot thank them enough.
    Their participation is proof that though homemaking is common to all there are still different challenges for each.

I am so happy you want peep in every now and then; i need no further testimony. Please do and share a couple of tips too.

Thanks much again:bowdown

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

thanks for the likes manju and kkrish,latha..

I was thinking that lot of us india do not have all the options that are available abroad..so arranging and managing ideas in an south indian kitchen, just like how manju shared..more options will help people..

just back from vacation, i am happy to be here..no maid for the past 2 days and also for the next whole week (she is sick it seems), with so much dust all over, i had covered all the appliances, tv and every shelf with towels, old dupattas..the appliances were clean underneath while i just dumped all the old towels, dupattas into the wash.

has covered all the sink holes, using plastic lids from the sweet boxes..there has not been any insects residing inthe bathroom..

all the left over dal, pulses, atta i had heated in the mw, cooled and stored..it is fresh after 40+ days..(out of the country )

A little planning, a little effort, makes life easier when you come back feeling heavy, homesick and have to start the routine again...

will post pictures of how i arrange my kitchen if anybody thinks it will be of help....

5 people like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good evening India. It is 7:30 am here. I just came up with a cup of coffee after a very late night. We had severe thunderstorms with a tornado close by; so could not go upstairs till about 1 am when the storm finally passed.

Dear Shanvy

Your point of readers in India was never forgotten even when I began this thread. Not only India but elsewhere in the world too. That is why I mentioned in the beginning this is not a "fit for all".

As for the kitchen organization, I decided to put up the pictures only after I recalled my mother's and my sisters-in-law's modular kitchens in India which are similar to mine in the US.

Looking back on my posts - except for the refrigerator, which is a new design here, I believe what I posted can be adapted by most of the readers.

Perhaps Manju has not put her kitchen pictures because she already has posted them in the "Clean home" thread.

Please put your kitchen pictures. I am sure your storage ideas will definitely be of help to the many readers irrespective of where they live.

I strongly believe in the following values.
    • there are no "un-useful" inputs.
    • Every single input is highly valued.
    • An information that is insignificant to some may be of paramount importance to some one else.
    • Absolutely no comparisons - everybody is different with different challenges and different lifestyles

6 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

kamala hope there has been no issues because of the tornado..

infact after seeing your dabara set arrangement i was thinking of those authentic kalchatti, illupachatti, thooku and dabbas..and honestly speaking mine does not have most of this..i was wondering if somebody still has those arrangements..with the fear of plastic more people are reverting back to those steel dabbas that our mil/moms had right..sorry if i conveyed the wrong message..

and i so agree,with every input by everybody helps somebody somewhere, and that is the intention of this thread..and i started peeping in only when it was something i could relate to..

and today i was talking to my daughter about the ammi, and aatu ural and heard from a acquaintance that their relative has got the ammi embedded in the granite slab of her newly designed kitchen..and i believe all this knowledge sharing will definitely help us all.. and i share this ammi news, maybe somebody who has one passed on and does not want to throw away can get it embedded in their kitchen or utility...

and no comparisons at all.. lot of issues govern them...health,finances, space constraints, tastes and comfort levels.

and if you have pictures of your mom's, chitti or mil do share, those pictures..i would love to see pictures of those dabbas and open shelves with all the dabbas in line in their order of height....

2 people like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanvy
    Thanks much. No hard feelings at all...

I am a strong proponent of the ammikal and aattukal - using them gives the ideal win-win situation- a good upper arm workout and super soft idlis. What better way than this :).

I am really happy folks are getting back to using them. However, with many young women balancing work, children, and long commute, this may not be time-efficient.

The ammikal reminds me of a true hilarious incident that happened here. Many years ago, before the electric wet grinders came into the market, my friend had her parents send an ammikal here. The delivery man carried this heavy stone huffing and puffing and with utmost awe and reverence asked, " Ma'am are you an archaeologist?" !!! :)

I don't have pictures of my relatives' kitchens in India. Thinking of it, kitchen never features in my "to photograph" list while visiting.

I am looking forward to seeing your kitchen organization ideas (other areas too). And I really mean it.

In fact all your inputs will really help me. Knowing that they are geared towards the lifestyle in India, I will be released from the self-imposed restraint to avoid information that may be useful only for US residents.

5 people like this.
  6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala mam, Latha, Shanvy & all other active participant ladies of this thread,
    How are you all doing?
    Since, I joined my job, i got too busy. But, not forgetting to post in IL(who can sleep without seeing IL) :)
    Packing is in slow pace as of now since we have another 1.5months to move to different apartment. Sure, I will see Kamala/Latha mam's post for packing help.

How are other things?

I'll post my kitchen/all other areas once I move to a new apartment. :rotfl

Kamala Mam,
    I have a question. The new apartment kitchen has got a white stove!
    Ofcourse, our indian way of cooking requires lot of flavours, turmeric, chillie and I don't want to spoil the white stove/slab area/also want to prevent from the smoke coming out of cooking area towards the top stove area. Any idea how to protect this?
    One IL suggested to use aluminum foil around the stove area. If you have any idea please post me back with pictures of how you maintain your stove area. :hide:

and please post me living room decoration if any.. like to know how good to keep living room which is the main view for friends/guest who visit our house. :bonk

Have a great weekend ladies,
    Take care,
    AnithaPartha

1 person likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hello all
    I was thinking of moving on to the next phase - Standardization. But I felt that a few more organization tips/pictures will not be an overkill.

Yay! Thanks to Prana I labeled the pictures. Prana your instructions were easy to follow.:thumbsup

I keep my broom hanging on the nail just behind my trash can. I chose against keeping a trash can beneath the sink because I found the space was not enough for my cleaning stuff.

The first picture shows how it appears. I have placed the trash can on a small mat to avoid scratches on the floor when I move it around to clean.

broom-1.JPG

In the second picture I have moved the trash can aside to show the small broom/pan I keep to gather the dust after sweeping.

broom-2.JPG

The mop hangs from a hook in the garage which is just behind the door.

4 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anitha
    Wish your move goes smoothly. Shanvy, Manju have given valuable tips. I am sure you will do a fine job.
    Below is a checklist for you to help plan the move more easily. Hope it helps. Please add/delete what you want to this list.

Moving checklist
    • Utilities- Electricity, gas, telephone address change.
    • Post office – provide forwarding address
    • Send change of address to family and friends
    • Schools – find out details on transferring.
    • Insurance – call and provide address change.
    • Driver’s license.
    • Milk
    • Paper service
    • Doctors
    In one or two boxes pack basic tools such as hammer, nails, screwdriver etc. Also pack some rice, dhal, vessels, plates, spoons etc that you may have to take out immediately. Label them boldly to be loaded last and taken out first at the new home. Once food is taken care of it will be easier to go thru the process of settling down.

Happy moving.
    As for a white kitchen - your friend's suggestion of aluminum foil is good.
    I have never lived in a white kitchen.
    Currently my stove is black glass top with a white rim. So this is not much of a problem.
    All I can think of is using a wet cloth to keep wiping down while you cook, to prevent stains.
    I hope others can give you tips on this.
    I do have one suggestion-perhaps you already follow this.
    Sometimes the turmeric used to spill between the bottle and the cooking pan.
    I solved this by storing turmeric powder in a pepper powder container. I open the holes side of the flip top and give a few shakes and now there are no more spills. I use the same method for my chilli powder too. I put in half-fistful of dry peas to ease the flow of the powder.

You can use a salt shaker also.

Below are the pictures.

turmeric-1.JPG

turmeric -2.JPG

Trust this helps.

5 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,

I think there was a discussion in il long long back, when anandchitra and all were very active.. they talked about readily available hob covers like this one I think..

DELUXE FOIL HOB PROTECTORS NON STICK GAS HOB COVERS: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

and you need to take extra care in a white kitchen, when you know turmeric, and some of our indian food stains..and also our indian curry..

i think these days you get worktop protector guards ..and spoon rests and anti splash covers that come with a handle that reduces the spill when sambhar/gravies boil in a open dish.. I came to know about the spoon rests and anti splash covers only from chitvish maam.:thumbsup. maybe investing in them may be a better idea??. until you

until you get the hang of cooking in a white kitchen (with practice you become the expert, who knows you may be giving pointers to others soon..) for the smoke, if your stove has a chimney or exhaust(no idea.) keep it on while cooking especially frying.. also a wet napkin hanging in the way of these smokes and fumes is said to observe the flavors and the...(i have not tried it.)

and for the counters, if you cannot find the guards, use newspapers while chopping, mixing atta, making chappatis..layer the counter with one paper..it is just trashing the paper after your chore is done...

and use a sponge, and wipe the area every day and with soap water or anti grease wipes (see il has taught me that these wipes and cleaners are available there..) this should take care of the tiles.. for the stove, when there is a accident spill inspite of the just make a paste of baking soda..rub it on the stain and clean wipe..it should do the job..and also heard from sabitha(SRama) there is a magic eraser that does a wonderful job.

I had a white kitchen few years back, i did maintain with heavy duty aluminium foil covers.. now i too have a black glass top and managing that is a different strategy ...

all the best for your move.

4 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

kamala,

good one on the aatu ural..

but the last 4/5 months has seen a increase in the sale of ammi and aatuural.. for those who are not aware of these..these are the traditional motar and pestle..but in case of ammi it is horizontal..

i have seen one in a local store recently priced at around 400/500 bucks..a 1-1.25 ft by .7ft one..very appealingly done..though i wonder what i can do on that for a family of four..

all said i know one ilite who inspite of her busy schedule used to grind in this for all her cooking stating it as an exercise. she is not active here anymore, or i would ask her to ping in here..and if i my memory serves well, i think i have seen one in chitvish mam's home..

And indian kitchens and living rooms have changed a lot. i find more open kitchen's with all the facilities...when most of the us and european brands have their showrooms here, there is bound to be changes..and some even are going for those wooden flooring as they want the comforts they had when they were there after returning.. i heard from a friend whose friend has packed the whole kitchen, based on her local measurements from ikea..

2 people like this.