1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

2. latharam09

Hi to Mega, L2S, vijima, and all other friends,

We are back to home on Saturday night. Really enjoyed our trip in a resort. So Sunday, I engaged myself in washing all the clothes, taking rest, clearing the baggages, by evening went to buy veg and fruits, and watched IPL finals.

There is a change in our plan now, and postponed our shifting. As I was mentally prepared for the shifting, I didnt do any cleaning.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Just to add to the kamala's tips on packing for moving, i started packing singlehandedly for my move so this is how i proceeded and if you are not going to have packers and only movers, .

get sturdy cartons..as you move from one corner to the other, pack them , and don't forget to name which room the carton should go to and what is in the carton..(I do this even if i place the carton in my loft, i write the details on one side and top..top helps when it is just going to be unpacked and side helps when i store it in the loft..)

the things you don't need but find reusable goes to a carton that is kept in one corner. as it filled i used to ask my maid if she or any of her relatives would need them, and she would take them..if she did not, i used to close the carton and keep it at the end in a utility room..so that it goes to the orphanage and old age homes i patronage..

books,( we have loads), some of the reckoners, textbooks, reference books that are revised, go to the local library, libraries take them if maintained neatly..

showpieces, i dusted the one that could not be washed, washed the ones that could be washed..dried them, and wrapped them in old newspapers.. and packed. the same for photographs, paintings and wall decor.. it is easier to clean, dust them when you are in a relaxed frame of mind than when you are in a hurry..they were just waiting to be reinstalled in the new home..

Next dining - all the crockery, cleaned wiped and packed..over a period of few days.

Bedrooms - each of our dresses that we may not be using in the month prior to the move were packed in suitcases (the wedding/party dresses), the rest went into cartons. and put back the cartons inside the wardrobes itself as it would be very difficult to move around with cartons at your feet.

provisions.. if you are person who uses containers/dabbas for your provision, you can slowly wash them well and use..

kitchen vessels .. here you will have loads.. look at all the dishes, mw boxes , plates.. judge if you have used any of them in a year. if they are given to you by your in-law or parents, and you would like to give it your kids, pack them well and write kitchen loft/storage..now start checking the rest, and see if you would like to throw away anything..just go with the first inclination/flash..don't wait to decide later as kamala says..because we tend to contradict ourselves and make ourselves believe, ok this may come in use later or what if we need it later..

toiletries - check out the expiry dates of the creams and lotions, body wash bottles (I know some of the shapes and designs of the bottles are tempting to be kept). check the expiry dates of the medicines/syrups in your medicine cabinet..and if you have medicines you may not use but are still valid, keep them in a separate bag and there are some charities that take them.

cleaning products - if it is time to bring in new brooms/mops/brushes..just don't work too hard.

thats all i could think of at this moment..

my family thinks i am mad to think and complete a work ahead of time, when i can do it in two days.. i just smile and tell them that is what i am and i can't help it..

so happy packing and moving..

6 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

this thread is really motivating.. can't put my everyday schedule...somedays are so monotonous...so just being here cheers up...

i have health issues, so my kitchen is arranged in such a way even a outsider who just starts opening cupboards will know how it is arranged and where to find what within a few minutes..I do it this way, for the sake of my kids, who need to take care of themselves if i fall sick, with my husband working abroad..this is a practice to make them independent and it has come in handy many a days when i can't move from my bed....

same goes for the fridge..

the same goes for the dresses and other clothes..they are arranged in the systematic manner so that they should ask me only if they don't find them there..

staying in a place where you dust things in the morning and find a layer of dust by late afternoon is a spoil sport..but dusting few things everyday, keeps check, though there are days i am pressed for time or energy to do even a swipe...

5 people like this.
  5. latharam09

Shanvy, yet to read your post fully, I was about to ask you to share your views here about shifting..Thanks for your post

1 person likes this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi latharam
    Than you for reminding on the IPL finals.....got to organize the recorded version!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Latha,
    The link which you posted, is again redirecting to this same thread right?
    Can you tell me what was your query & Kamal mam's reply to it?

8. latharam09

Anitha, If you click the link given by me, that will take to the right post of kamala mam's reply. So only I gave the link .

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kkrish,

What an efficient and organized person you are!! Out of curiosity, I just went through the pages 21-23 just now after logging in and was very much impressed with your squeaky clean kitchen closets and refrigerator! Read a few posts too. You can count on it that I will be peeping into this thread from time to time.

Great work Kamala and you are a sweetheart for sharing all this here and for encouraging others to do so too.

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hello ladies.
    I am baaack!
    Since returning I have been trying to write up the next updates, but am a bit confused on the best way to present it (yeah confusion is my forte; I even win prizes for being confused, don't I :)).
    Please be a little patient; will come up in a couple of days with my posts.

Thanks everyone for responding to Bhargavi's query on how to preserve Curry leaves. I really did not know the answer-yeah I have plants. But now I will use your tips to preserve them for winter when I bring the plants indoors.

Latha..I am glad you liked the freezer tips.

Shanvy ..Thanks much for your lovely feedback and also for the tips on moving. Very useful they will be for Latha, Anitha and others.

Dear Prana and Manju
    Thank you for the tips on labeling the pictures. I will try them with my next picture.

Vijikka, luv2smile, Megalife, Anitha, Manju, Bhargavi, Prana, and Shanti - thanks for taking up this thread all these days. I sincerely appreciate this togetherness.

1 person likes this.