1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

Wish you all a very happy anniversary.
    This thread sure brings in lot of discipline.
    Also at days I used to sit just in front of TV and internet and waste time.
    Ideal mind is devils' workshop and an Ideal mind to me...brought back bitter memories of my mom's death.
    How much every I am running away form it and I am unable to accept it, still it haunts me.
    This thread made me move and not give em time to waste and get -ve thoughts.
    A big hug to kamal mam to have started it.
    And hugs to all beautiful members of this post who make my day.

Yesterday:

Prepared dinner before time.
    Assigned boxes for curry leaves and dals.
    1 load of clothe sin washing machine.

Today:

Prepared lunch by 12pm for first time :)
    Finished exercise by 11am.
    Folded clothes

Even: washed vessels.
    Started dinner.
    Ironed clothes.
    Cleaned bathroom

Any advise as to how to divide my time to be more productive.

4 people like this.
  2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gae,

Hugs to you darling. May He guide you to accept the painful loss, recover and heal. It may not be easy dear but try to replace painful thoughts with happy memories of your mother, the love you shared, the silly talks or the profound ones, the time she had combed your hair, prepared your favorite food, her take on the movie you watched together.... anything and everything that you have come to cherrish. If it gets too stressful, take a break, go out for a walk, call a friend, or do anything that helps relax.

Many find decluttering and organizing theraputic including myself, you may want to give it a shot. Something as simple as organizing the kitchen shelves or books or shoes. Go about tackling one shelf at a time. Think what you really want in that shelf, how frequently it will be used depending on its accessability, and decide accordingly.

You are already doing a lovely job of maintaining dear keep it up :)

5 people like this.
  3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shalu and Smiley,

@smiley, it is not difficult to put the name tags dear just open your photo in paint or just copy the photo and paste it in a blank paintbrush and use the text option to type :)

Organizing accessories is easier and maintainable if you segregate things into manageable groups like hair accessories, bangles and bracelets, earrings, sets (earing&chain/necklace), chains, and things that are seldom used like nethichutti odiyanam, kujalam etc. Also group them into seldom or frequently used. like there could be certain chains that you/your kids like to use frequently but others of the same variety might be specific to a dress and gets seldom used - these can be separated out.

Hair accessories - i have shoulder length hair and use only center clips, dds have to use black bands for school, and they wear coloured bands outside, and my elder one uses long clips occasionally, so i have grouped them so it is easy to find things in the morning rush.

Bangles are grouped into three boxes one for each one of us - this stops my dds from disturbing other boxes as they know which box is theirs.

Earrings - i got these cool transparant organizing boxes for the earrings and put two/three pairs in a unit, so they do not get mixed up. i try to keep group them into studs, long ones, funky ones, stone ones, fake pearls etc.

Hope these are of some use to you for organizing urs. Hope to see your pics soon :)

6 people like this.
  4. SoundVijay

SoundVijay Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

On monday i morning got up late so has to get ready and rush to office. Evening went home and loaded clothes in the W/M and dried them. Washed vessels and cleaned the stove and cook top. Gave food to DD and had dinnder. Went to sleep but my DD kept me awake all night :-(.

Congrats on the first anniversary :). I have learnt a lot and earned a lot of good friends as well :). Its after joining this thread i have started planning my day and is working out well :)

Yesterday as usual got up helped MIL and went to office. In the evening prepared dinner and gave food to DD. Cleaned cooktop and gas stove. Washed vessels.

Regards,
    Sound

1 person likes this.
  5. SoundVijay

SoundVijay Gold IL'ite

Hi Gae3,

I uderstand your position and am in the same position as yours. I lost my dad and its not even a month. I used to cry daily but now concentrating more on work, on my DD and household activities.

Though am not able to take his thoughts away from me concentrating on something else would make you feel better.

Believe in god, trust in prayer. You would definitely be able to come out of this tough phase. Hugs to you dear. May god give you the strength to cross this phase.

Regards,
    Sound

4 people like this.
  6. nikkimom83

nikkimom83 Silver IL'ite

Hi all
    Am new to indusladies....Very nice thread and it keeps me motivating. But the problem is I couldn't use all ur tips and ideas as am pregnant. I become tired wid very little work. I have a 4 yr kid who needs my attention all the time. But I hope oneday I will also be like u all very well organized. Thanku all for ur wonderful tips ideas.

1 person likes this.
  7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala,

Thank you for taking the suggestion in good spirit. I plan but most of times not able to stick to it. Sometimes kids choices are different or guests, but I enjoy that too.

Dear Akila, your organizing of dressing table is so neat. Once organized it is all maintenance. Loved your pics. Eager to see more.

Dear Gae3. Hugs to you dear. Recently one of my friends lost her mother, here sound lost her dad. All well said by Akila. You will get over your sadness soon and you will have only nice memories.

Welcome nikkimom. First take care of health and the toddler. Prioritize. All these tips you can have at the back of your mind. When necessity arises all will flow from your mind then. Just relax.

My updates:

Nothing much happening. After Akila and Doors referred the book Shiva Trilogy, I was very curious, now reading e-book first volume. When I start a book all tasks take back seat for me other than routines. Had a long time wish fulfilled. Had a layer cut. Curiously wait if my DH will like,. Over a period of 19 years (that is from when I got married : pun intended) my thigh length hair has become little shorter than hip length now.

Today morning for half an hour we got a good shower, but no power from 10 am. So washing got postponed. I have soaked all whites in hot water with washing soda and soap. In the evening I will put in machine and will take dd to music class. Since my TV got inverter while in IL seeing old movie navagraham.

Dd had come, have to make corn for snack. Today is her last day of school for this academic year. We'll catch up later.

Regards
    Manjukps

5 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hello Akila
    Very nicely organized dresser. I love the pink colored storage tray. Nice and bright. Thanks for sharing.

Dear Gae3
    I am very sorry to learn about your loss. I understand how difficult it must be for you. I applaud you for your efforts to come out of that emotional turmoil.
    I agree with Akila that cleaning and de-cluttering is very therapeutic.
    The key is to do it because you want to do it for yourself and not to prove others anything. Never compare your home to others and try to beat them; you will not get any satisfaction.

On how to organize your time...every one has different ways. Here is how I approach it.
    What is the main thing my family and I need every day?
    Answer: Food and clean clothes.
    So the first thing I concentrated is meal planning and just getting clothes ready. Do not worry about organizing or cleaning, I told myself.
    That's why I am revisiting meal planning again and not writing about others.
    I already see you said you cooked early. That is a good start.
    Concentrate on meals first and subsequently organizing your kitchen in such a way that cooking becomes a pleasure.
    Do only this for a month - it takes 30 days to get into a habit they say.

Once your meal planning and cooking, cleaning the kitchen becomes routine move into the clothes area....and then others.

Well, that's what I am trying to aim for here but in a weekly manner. I am focusing on the kitchen this week and perhaps next also.

Trust this helps.
    Welcome Nikkimom.
    Congrats on your second baby!
    Take your time and just read the contributions for now and do what you can. We have had members such as Prana and JeniFlora who were also pregnant with their second child. You may find their inputs very helpful as to how they managed their time.
    Ladies...
    My time ran out today..so got to go.
    Will be back tomorrow.
    It is sambar and Cabbage curry today...no change in that menu :)

love
    K

4 people like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    we posted at the same time:)

There is no reason why I should get offended at your suggestion. I understand it is only a suggestion and the choice was still mine.
    Dear Doors
    A request: Please go to Manju's home first to taste the vadaams she has made and please bring some for me.

K

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Shaalu, SmileySmile, SoundVijay, Abhigail
    No ... I have not forgotten you nor am I ignoring you...I start with the intention of addressing everyone but time runs out as I type...
    I enjoy reading your days .
    Sound.. I am happy you are getting back to routine despite your recent emotional turmoil.

Take care
    Love
    K

2 people like this.