1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hello Shara
    It is wonderful to know that you now have time read books and join yoga classes because of your time mgmt and organizational skills. Very proud of you. Great going girl!!

Hi Sahitya
    Take your exams and return with full energy. You read all the 1000+ posts while you are supposed to study for your PG entrance? :) Best of luck.

Hi Vijibhavani and Pinky
    Glad both of you got together. Nice seeing you here after a long time Pinky.

Hi Jeni
    Take care. I can understand you being tired. I think you should really relax.

Dear Manju
    Thanks for the clarification. I have been wanting to see that movie. Hope its good.
    Best wishes for your children's exams. I am sure mothers are more busy and tensed during kids exams time.

Dear Soundvijay
    Enjoy your trip.

Dear Abhigail
    Glad to know you got two full days for yourself.

Hello Akila
    Yes glad to have you back. My toe will take about six weeks in that special shoe to heal (it better heal by then) it's been just a week since I am wearing it. Thanks.

Hello Vanitha
    Nice to have you back.

Hello Doors
    I want to see that movie too. We have to wait though. I hope there is no fighting.
    I am going to get a young friend who also happens to be the one my son is going to marry:) Date will be determined based on visa status.
    I clean the outside and inside of the washer cover and wipe down the surfaces. I don't clean the water tubes though - not easy to access.

My day was very busy.
    • Set the alarm for 5 am and got out of the bed at 5:30 am :)
    • Made payasam today for my elder son's birthday - called him.
    • Then make poricha kuzhambu and used frozen beans curry. That cut my cooking time.
    • At work it was hectic and by 3 pm I was low in energy. Somehow managed to pull through 4:30 pm.
    • Came home; made & had early dinner
    • 7-8 pm had my music classes.
    • After class threw in one batch of washing.
    • Called my younger son.
    • Now typing this.
    • Will go to bed in an hour. Have to watch kitchen super star doubles- much better than any of the serials wher they show revenge, vendetta, and overall spoiling mil-dil relationships.
    • No exercise today - sitting cross-legged for an hour itself was my workout :)
    OK ladies
    Have a great evening in the Americas (North &South) and a great morning east of the Atlantic.
    Bye.

5 people like this.
  2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@KK,
    Its wonderful to know you see a friend in your future DIL.... what a fantastic outlook!! take care of your toe dear.

@doors,
    Mine is a top load and I clean the washing machine fully by wiping it with all-purpose cleaner and then wiping with a dry cloth, for the inside I just wipe with a dry cloth.

My routine,
    Yesterday:
    5:30 - 7:00 - breakfast, lunch preparation, packing, swept hall and kitchen.
    7:00- 7:45 - got DD and myself ready for school/office.
    8.pm - reached home
    8-9 pm - had dinner (prepared my mil), chat with family, got kids into bed.
    9-10 pm - tv with hubby.
    10.30 - to bed :)

No exercise.

1 person likes this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

A quick reply for washing machine cleaning.

I have front load. I am using cover. On top of it I have wooden stand with all cleaning liquids. Once in a while take out the cover wash it in running water. Wipe the washing machine (outside) with wet and dry cloth. As doors said, dust accumulate in the rubber at the opening. I wipe it with a dry cloth into the folds and remove dust once in a week. Some time I will be lucky to get coins and notes (the maximum I got is the whole purse of my son with Rs.200 in it. ):) Will clean the filter at the bottom one in two months in the running water.

Regards
    Manjukps

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. PavitraVenkat

PavitraVenkat Gold IL'ite

Dear kkrish,
    I love when you said "i'll be getting a young friend who also happens to be my dil". Such a noble thought. Your DIL is really lucky to have you as her FRIEND :) And yes, NKPK is a good comedy movie (based on the real life incident of the cinematographer of this movie). You'll have a nice time watching it :) Enjoy.

Dear doors,
    If its fully automatic washing machine, you would need to purchase a cleaning powder from your washing machine company's service center. Mine is whirlpool. I bought a powder from them called "scalgion" i think. 6 pack now is Rs.960. The recommended cleaning schedule is once per 25 wash loads. I do it once in 2 months. It helps in preventing forming of scales on the steel drum which is outside the plastic one and also removes any dirt deposited inside.

-----------------------
    Today, I added 2 tbsps of baking soda (for a full load) in addition to my regular laundry washing liquid. Was stunned to see my hubby's dirty white socks (almost brown :D ) into white-o-white :) It just looked like brand new socks. I also heard that baking soda makes coloured clothes look brighter in addition to deodorizing it. :)

2 people like this.
  5. brindhark

brindhark Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I am not sure whether this information has been already shared.

Whenever i cook onions/garlic, the entire apartments stinks despite of using fan. I tried removing the smell with scented candles and Indian agarbathis. This odour got worsen during winter as we cannot open up the windows.

Recently I came across this home made deodorizer from cleaning with Melissa maker and gave a try. Add 4-5 cinnamon sticks, 8-10 cloves and half lemon to boiling water and allow it to boil for 10 minutes and let the pot open throughout the night.

I tried this for 2 days and house is odour free.

6 people like this.
  6. Superwoman

Superwoman Gold IL'ite

Dear ladies,

Good job, really motivating and impressive.

Can i also join with you all?
    first of all i will try to read all the posts from where I left it(initially i was reading regularly).
    thank you

Shanva

4 people like this.
  7. devi123kar

devi123kar Gold IL'ite

You ladies are defiantly inspiring. I hope this weekend I have enough motivation to clean my fridge.

Also I find this very useful I used to store leftovers in the fridge which I will never use as my husband won't any leftovers so with a heavy heart I started throwing it atleast now when I clean my fridge I don't have surprises.

Have a nice week end ladies..

3 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akila and Pavitra
    Thank you for your kind words!

Dear Brinda, Superwoman, Devi
    Welcome (back)!

Dear Pavitra, Brinda, Superwoman
    Good tips. Please provide the link in thread II.

Dear Manju
    I too find lots of loose change after my younger son does his washing. I wonder how much money he has lost in his dorm laundromat!!!
    I read about your frustration with your neighbor. I am sure one can write volumes about the atrocities committed by neighbors. My mom always had something to crib about her's.

Devi
    Best wishes on cleaning your fridge and organizing it.

See you all later.
    Take care.
    Kamala

1 person likes this.
  9. SoundVijay

SoundVijay Gold IL'ite

Hey all,

Came back home yesterday nite. It was really a hectic trip as we slept totally for 4 only.
    We were fully travelling by bus and my DD was totally not comfortable. Came to my mom.s house to take rest:)
    Have to start with my normal day to day work from tomorrow. Rest in the next post.

Regards,
    Sound

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Good to see all the ladies so active and posting regularly and nice to read some recent updates. I too have a lot to catch up in the home front. reading others words here is so motivating.