1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji Aunty, Take rest. Take care of your health first.

Don't worry Anitha. Relax. With little baby it is very difficult. Even with grown up children it is very difficult to always clean and maintain. Enjoy your time with your son now.

Good Magee. Now you are into the groove and I am sure you will continue do it.

Welcome Sankna

Dear Kamala, Please keep posting pictures. Illustrating with pictures helps better.
    Take care of your health. Enjoy your son's presence. Last 2 days I was also in a grumpy mood due to monthly cycle. I have not posted pictures as I have done it all in the "clean home" thread. Will try to link it hear also.

Friday Update:

Made vegetable rice??? (you name it) - Grabbed any veg I got - potato, carrot, cauliflower, capsicum, peas, fried all with tomato and onion, added soya sauce and a packet of yippee noodles masala mixed with rice. My son's lunch box certified that it was very good as it came like it was washed.

Myself and DD both took oil bath. Then DD wanted to have "Gummunu (adjective) rasam". By it she refers to pepper or kashayam powder rasam with garlic. We both relish it on the day we take oil bath. So after bath I made kashayam rasam with garlic, we had it hot hot.

From morning I had started reading another book "Can Love happen twice" by Ravinder Singh. I continued reading when she took a nap and all the time when I wasn't doing anything else. In the evening left her at her friend's place, bought some groceries, picked my DS. For night I made alu parathas with onion raitha. By 10.30 I finished reading the book also.

Saturday : Cooked a full meal, murungakai sambhar, rasam, ladies finger fry, keerai. Morning had idly as B/F. DH went out to complete some outside work. He had bought some seeds and bio fertilizers. Had lunch. Now on the net. As we got only 2 tickets, Evening DH and DS are going to Chepauk to watch the match. Tomorrow will be big day for me as I have organized for a friends' get together here (my school mates as well as my costing batch mates) around 5 and will proceed to one of the hotels for dinner.

Welcome latharam

My first 2 cents will be. 1 month ahead of your shifting, keep few card board boxes on the floor (find some space for these) start putting not much of use items in that segregating it room wise or usage wise etc. For eg., you can start from show pieces in show case first. Put all these in one box close it. Put all not much in use kitchen utensils in the other. Keep closing the boxes once it gets filled up.

Will add few more at it flashes.

Regards
    Manjukps

3 people like this.
  2. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Manju... I usually do this way..:) Hope to get the mood in full swing when shifting time nearer..:thumbsup

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Hi dearies

Kamala and Latha dear made two rasams as the tomato rasam which I made was tasting as if I added some garam masala, so it was not like rasam but a different recipie. I had put readymade masala but it does not contain garam masala dont know how it turned out like that. Thats why made Pepper Rasam. '

Yes Kamala dear day by day I feel my strength is becoming less and I feel tired. Might be due to the heat also. But I dont want to only sitting and doing nothing, then will become lazy. So keep myself active.

Yesterday after usual cooking and after doing vilakku pooja arranged the cupboards and washed my dh's dhoties and shirt and kurtha as many marriages are coming. So that I can give for ironing and keep them ready to wear for the marriage.

Since 11th my maid has also gone on leave who used to do sweeping and swabbing. So since two days have been doing sweeping but swabbing will do whenever possible

Today being Saturday went to Navagraha temple. No serials today. Watched a nice malayalam movie about two childhood friends which brought me memories of my best friend who is in Hyderabad.

Manju dear I also agree with Kamala you are an inspiration to everyone here

Hi to Latha, , Magee, Luv2smile, Bhargavi

A warm welcome to Nihasvin and Sankna

Now let me go and give wheat for making flour and some clothes for ironing. Have a nice evening

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Latha
    I don't mind this question. This falls under time management too.

Moving time is good time to reduce clutter. If the movers charge you by box, why take unnecessary things with you and pay for them too?
    • Start with one corner of one room..I always work in a clockwise direction starting from the door.
    • Keep two or three boxes...and go with the 15 minute rule.
    • For 15 minutes each day..go thru your stuff in a small area and toss stuff to throw away, give away, and to keep. After 15 minutes first throw away the stuff in the garbage. Then you won't be tempted to change your mind.
    • Then pack or replace the stuff you want to take with you.
    • If you have more time, go thru this routine with the next small space. Do this slowly and steadily and you will be ready by moving date.
    • Do have goals in mind..such as by end of this week finish one room...that will give some motivation.
    • No procrastination..don't do stuff tomorrow what you can do today
    :)
    Good luck.

4 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Manju and Kamala dear nice tips to Latha. Kudos to you Kamala this thread will help everyone how to handle time.

6. latharam09

Superb tips Kamala..This thread really a motivation..I take much rest nowadays, as my DD is in her vacation..She enters into her 10th std from june..so naturally she would be busy with her studies..I generally keep my home clean..Used to clean then and there..Coz of some health constraints too, limited my works now. Thinking of starting slowly 15 mins of declutter from june..Not yet finalised about the moving. So without knowing properly, I prefer not to do routene clean works. So enjoying my D's holidays , of course , doing daily works.

7. latharam09

And.......my way of cleaning is , similar to Flylady...I do not clean the whole house in a day..I usually clean by choosing a small area..cupboards etc..

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Manju, Vijiakka, Latha.
    hope you all had a wonderful Saturday.
    I was having fever throughout...made idlis, and pancake for breakfast...then afternoon I asked my hubby and son to eat something from outside. i took tablets and went to sleep. Slept till 5:30 pm.
    Then made coffee and for dinner made pepper rasam. It was delicious to the fevered tongue.
    So there is nothing much I did today. Still a bit feverish. Once I sweat it out i will be fine. Hopefully I will be better tomorrow.

I will still post a picture on Kitchen organization. As this is how it is organized for quite some time.

I keep special serving spoons, ladles and flatware in a couple of boxes and use them only when I host lunches or dinners; or when I take food for pot-lucks.
    spice rack 007.JPG

Below is my favorite serving platter and bowl.

spice rack 005.JPG

Have a great Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to All.

4 people like this.
  9. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Take care Kamala.. Wish you a speedy recovery!!!
    My day also went very fast.. My MIL cooked today..
    Eve, we went for a tamil movie & went to parlour(mother's day gift)..

After coming home, prepared dosa's for me, hubby & my son.
    Relaxing my weekend..

But, I cleaned my almira.. I arrnaged my clothes/my hubby's clothes neatly.. Tried to clean my bedroom..

Happy Mother's Day Ladies...

10. latharam09

Get well soon Kamala..