1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. doors

doors Gold IL'ite

HI All,

I was confused as to which thread to reply to, guess to continue this thread itself feels nice :)

so as the discussion is on thiruvannamalai , I feel very connected since it is my In laws place :) but been to giri valam only once in 4 yrs of wedding . Was all busy with new job,delivery , baby etc . After delivery inlaws came to bangalore to stay with us to take care of the baby and visiting thiruvannamalai has come down. Hoping to visit the temple during karthigai deepam. and i guess even giri valam will be easy because i have now become an athlete running so fast behind my son ..hehe.

Idukku pillaiyar kovil, I guess I have visited the temple. Will check with my husband. I am very bad at remembering temple names .

1 person likes this.
  2. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Girls,

You all make me to get this 'trip-fever'...For the last 10 months I have been longing for one such long tour..Probably it will take another six months :bonk...

My Updates,

Yesterday mopped the house, decluttered DH's wardrobe, Gave slight cleaning for the fridge as it doesnt require much....DD is going to have culturals program at school..So currently working on her fancy dress program...Will post the pictures once it is done..

Tried CHanna dhal fried snacks..It came out very well...DH liked it...:thumbsup..
    Thought of doing some simple Diwali savoury at home..Donno how far it is possible..Lemme try...

Following is my usual routine with the slight variation according to DS's sleeping time...

5.30 - Getup(read as entering into kitchen as the real wake up used to be 2/3/4/ Am as per DS's 'wish' :rant)

5.30 - 6.30 Preparing Lunch for DD.DH takes care of little boy.In that time I try to make some preparations for our lunch too ie cutting veg or making any one dish like sambhar or veg. The remaing thing I will do once DD left for school.

6.30 - 6.45 - Preparing tea,milk for us

6.45 - 8 Getting DD ready for her school...Bathing/brushing/morning rituals everything along with one feeding session for DS..

8 - 8.30 DS would take half an hour nap...Hand washing one bucket of dress(mine,DD's uniforms,All DS's, DH's hand washable dresses), bathing

8.30 - 9 DH leaves home at 9..SO mean time I sweep the house, take my BF, washing vessels...

After 9, Bathe DS, feed him, make him sleep(need to rock), The sleeping time ranges from 1/2 hr to 1 1/2 hrs..The whole time I dedicate this to myself..IL,craft,reading etc....

Once he wakes up, spend time with him..He wants me to carry him, changing diapers, feeding..

At 1.30 DH arrives...Take lunch. If I couldnt wash clothes in the morning, I do it at this time as he takes care of DS...

He leaves home around 2.45..

Another half an hour nap for kutti..I use this time for peeling onion for next day's use, prepare some simple snacks(sundal,puttu) for DD.

DD reach home at 4.30. My darling angel, does her evening routines on her own with some guidance from me..:cheers..Taking 5 min bath, changing clothes,combing her etc...

give milk for her along with snacks...(in between I have to run to DS to attend his needs)

DH reaches Home around 6..So cofee time...Upto 7, Helping DD to do her homworks(one of the tuffest jobs :bonk)...

After 7 - Prepare dinner, feed them both, make DS sleep thats it...As soon as he slept, I rush to the bedroom and fell into my bed with DD...

Thanks for patiently reading this essay dearies....:)

8 people like this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Re: Part II - Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Hi bhucat,

If you see in my kitchen(click on post no.4, 15 item in this thread) I have labelled(2nd photo in post no.306 in Time Management original thread) Carry bags. This has holes on all sides. On top I can go stacking the covers, from the sides I can pull out any cover I want, if need to choose the size. This my mom bought from US. The other one in black is a cylindrical bag which small opening at the bottom, bigger opening on top which has draw string. I stack the covers from top, pull out covers from bottom. So will be using older covers will be at the bottom. Here I will not have choice of size of covers as I can't see it. Before I got the plastic one, this bag was very much useful for me. I used a shoe bag for that after making a small opening to pull covers at the bottom. You can stitch a cylindrical bag if have any unused piece of nice cloth with a string to hang it. I hung it in the grill of window. It will look neat.

Hope it is of some use.

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Akila,

We didn't go to that temple. We left from there by 2.45 and reached Chennai by 6.30. On the way had little rain also. Last three days nothing special, three days holidays for kids. Enjoyed with them. No homework, they too enjoyed.

From wednesday 10 am to thursday 9 am we didn't have power. Lost our back supply also by evening of wednesday. So we did all with candle light. Both me and DH were telling the kids how we managed when we were young without invertors, how our parents managed even without electricity in their houses when they were young. Spent sleepless night because of mosquitoes. No lotion or spray could help.

Today went for 11th day function of my cousin bro's baby. Visited in-laws, came back and it was all usual.

Week end may be little busy with loads to wash and fold. Diwali shopping for DS and DH. Open day for DD and so on...

Catch with you on Monday.

REgards
    Manjukps

5. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

manju mam,

saw the picture of storing the plastic covers. even though we could see it is not very clear. could you post only the plastic cover storage part?

shara

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends
    Nice to read your updates and travels.

Doors,
    I am also confused as you are. :)

I am going ask for your suggestions : There was a request on the II thread to start an index and then posts as two separate threads.
    My idea was to start posting in thread II and after it reaches 30-40 pages to start thread III.
    While having a index thread is good, we have to remember to go there and give the link every time we post something. Will it work?

Anyway I want to go with majority of your suggestions. Please give your suggestions by Monday so that I can respond to the requester.

Also if you all want to continue in this thread, that is fine with me. No real rules. However, if it is some important information or tips or storage idea, please post it in thread II. I would eventually like all to come there so that the thread does not drop down in the list. It is just my wish - I leave the decision to you of course.

Magee
    Will you be able to document how you plan and execute your dinner parties - right from when you plan the menu, buying stuff, cleaning home, cooking schedule, while continuing on your job. This documentation will be of help to many. Only if you can of course - no obligation on your part. If you do please give the title "Dinner/Lunch party planning" and post it in thread II.
    Thanks. Again I am assuring you please do it only if you can; if not. no problem. Relax.

A heads-up.
    I am planning to post in thread II planning for Deepavali, tomorrow.
    Join in with your inputs and tips.

Ok ladies
    Take care.

2 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear all
    Thank you for your feedbacks and liking the links.

Magicworld
    Thanks for your suggestion. However, I am not sure how practical it will be because almost every post has small tips. I have asked for feedback and will go with the majority of the responses. Sorry, but this is a team effort and I alone cannot do it. Hope you understand.

8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Doors,

Will post clear picture in two days time.

Regards
    Manjukps

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very nice and useful tips form Shanvy and Manju on plastic bag/covers storage.

Below is how I store the bags. In my second kitchen pantry where I store paper products, plastic containers, etc. I hung these baskets and the bag.

bag2.JPG bag1.JPG

This is just another way of storage - may/may not work for all.

6 people like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

While talking of covers I also was thinking of covers that we use on vessels during and after cooking - stainless steel flat plates. After many different types of storage I finally settled with this. Seems to be working for me.
    When I am cooking it sits behind my rice cooker and in the cabinet below at other times.

Steel plates/covers storage.
    covers.JPG cooker.JPG

6 people like this.