1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good morning US..Good evening Mideast, India, rest of S.E. Asia,...perhaps goodnight Australia?...
    Well hello to all.

Sorry again ladies I did not post last night.
    Did nothing out of the regular schedule ... had to mow the lawn in addition to weeding. Was "spoofed" last night.
    After giving fbs here I was typing my routine on the word document...suddenly I woke with a jerk and found I had typed, "5:00 pm ..Returned from worrrrrrrrrrrr..."
    The "r" was longer than I typed here..almost a half-page.
    I realized it's time to hit the bed.
    The flower bed is almost done. This evening I intend to complete it and I have to do edging of the lawn. I am looking at at least three hours of continuous work. So thinking of of going early to work and returning early.
    Once the flower-bed is done I will have my time freed to concentrate more on inside the house work.
    Saturday the forecast is rain.
    Will see you tonight...before I fall asleep on the keyboard.

3 people like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    Thank you again for nominating my post for this month. It means a lot to me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hello ladies
    I am back.....like it or not!
    Today is supposed to be " the week end" and the whole of UAE is happily relaxing........well, did somebody stop you from relaxing dumb mega?.....you might ask.
    With a heavy heart here I sit, next to a tissue box....pulling one tissue after another.........who said I am crying? NO.....NO....I am cooling down with a huge Baskin Robins Emalaq Sunday ....and this tissue prevents my dripping Icecream from smearing the iPad.
    It all started as a promising morning.......my daughter had a story telling competition to attend.....woke up early (dd completions are a fashion parade avenue for the moms....P-E-U-W)...... Dressed up DD and decked up her mummy and set off to an eventful day........what a fine sunny morning it was.......couldn't help playing (" my name is sheela, sheela ki jawani ) on the car audio......... And my heart was singing "my name is mega,......."
    My daughter was merrily chatting (genetically inherited).....and I drove and drove! Enjoying Sheeela......and almost reached half way to Dubai.........i realised with anguish that i was LOST. Well with assistance from some good Samaritans, I finally reached the venue a full 60 mins late........ With a streak of hope that DD's turn might not have come I rushed in, to be stopped by the security " M'am you cannot go in...".. ....WHAT the&&&&&, I retorted! but why, I still have few mins left of the competition ?.....Security : what competition?....
    Oh ok, that is next Friday
    Onky-donkky
    Eeeks, my DD was all red faced and if looks could kill, I wouldn't be posting this now....she verbally assaulted me left, right and centre. Not only had she to wake up early on a holiday....but had to travel half UAE with " sheela ki jawani " jarring her eardrums.
    What a lousy way to time management? Poor baby mega.
    Came home in a grumpy mood, thank god my DH was out....he didn't have to bear my wrath, instead took it out on the stool which came in my way. My maid didn't even look at me, she is clever....one look and she gets it. Ate some steaming hot rice , beans, mutton and raita for lunch. This remarkable cooled me down.

Now I am crying........ Why?....my baskin robin is over.
    After this post, We are are going for a sooze, will wake up, have coffee and again take my boy and girl for ice skating.
    Dinner at TGIFridays!
    Signing off....with half eyes shut....
    MEGA

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ms. Jeyaraj.
    Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. On behalf of everyone at IndusLadies I wish you a very joyous, prosperous, and contented married life.

Don't worry about being lazy now...I will recommend it. Be as lazy as you can now. Once you enter married life, the responsibilities that come with it will change your lifestyle entirely.

A few things to remember:
    1. Be mentally prepared for changes. Life will not be the same as "pre-marriage" anymore.
    2. Do not compare in-laws (the people, their customs etc.) with your own. Take them for what they are.
    You will certainly feel uncomfortable, you may not like certain members, certain things, but give everything a chance.
    3. Happiness comes from within you; no one can make you happy.
    4. Housework - Long ago I came across someone who said, "every time you wash your plate remember that you are washing the plate because you had food. So thank the Lord for providing that meal for you"
    Ever since my attitude towards housework changed. I always thank the Lord for giving me a roof, clothes, and food -every time I cook, wash clothes, and clean my home.
    4. Start a planner. Write down where your time goes. Deduct time for office and commute. Think how you can optimize the balance time.
    The first few month after marriage be prepared to not follow routine...both of you will want to spend time going to movies, dinner, and generally understanding each other.

Finally, relax, enjoy, and don't be hard on yourself if you miss out on something. Just make a point to be more vigilant.

Be happy and hope to see you in IL more often.

12 people like this.
  5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala ma'am,

I took the first step and the result is promising too.
    Yesterday, I broke the work into chunks and did one chunk, rewarded myself with some screen time? green tea?crocheting etc
    Should work on increasing reading time too.
    This way I could do things as well had time for my desk top....with lesser guilt pangs.
    regarding work outs, If I try anything other than my yoga and 30 bend downs, I end up with pain somewhere. So , I am taking it lighter and trying to improve stamina, slowly.
    Thanks for your encouraging words and motivational schedule.

Dear Manju ma'am, Magee, Mega, l2b, All your posts motivate me and keep me on track.
    Thank you.

Dear Ms.Jeyaraj, Welcome aboard...!!!

5 people like this.
  6. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

Dear kamala, i like your post very much...points that every homemaker must keep in mind always.
    Mega L your post is hilarious :)

coming to my schedule... I had a pretty good day today ! My DD woke me up at around 4 in the mrng and started crying and she went back to sleep only by 5:30 and i lost my sleep and woke up and started my day. I had my coffee peacefully enjoying the beautiful mrng next i boiled some organic milk for DD and began chopping vegetables.

I made tomato rasam and green beans today and finished the cooking in about an hours time. next i had already prepared the dough and mashed the parupu for preparing puran poli 2 days back . So I thought i'll surprise my DH today with this and started making puran poli . In between my DD woke up and i got her to brush her teeth and gave her milk, DH and I had bun , butter and home made jam and mango milk shake for b/f

Finished this puran poli and gave DD her b/f- mango oatmeal. then gave her a shower and i took shower and was reading stories and singing rhymes for her which she also enjoys a lot.

lunch time around 12 i fed her ...she did not finish her plate and refused to eat further and i just din't want to force her...then i put her to sleep and had my lunch and did some browsing and chating with my friends

then late afternoon , I started my cleaning projects...I sweeped and moped and decluttered my puja room and computer table. I neatly folded all the wires and put a separate rubber band for each of them so that they don't get tangled. Dusted/wiped the printer n scanner. Still there are a few things that need to be disposed...i plan to do that over the weekend. My puja room looks very nice now. I plan to buy some gift wrapper over the weekend and change the shelf cover also. Then washed a huge load of dishes...

Made some dosas and milk for DD and i also had that for evening snack.

and luckily my DH said we will go out for dinner today ..i was so relaxed on hearing that.:thumbsup

but i gave my DD home made dinner as she will not eat properly in the restaurant...came home finished the remaining dishes..put my DD to bed.

I have a blog and have some pending entries to make in it and plan to fold my clothes and mop and clean the remaining rooms in my house by weekend. I want my house to sparkle by next week. have some craft projects also n my mind. need to make some time for the same too.

now off to sleep...bye

Last edited: May 5, 2012
    5 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear All
    Good Saturday morning!

Bhargavi - nice to know the 15 minute rule helps you. As for exercise, do take it easy. Do only what you can do; don't do something because X or Y are doing it. Each of us is different.

l2s - i luved 2 read your work day. How old is your daughter? Sometimes she sound like a baby a few months old, sometimes she sound like a 2 year old toddler.

Well last night I was very tired after yanking all those weeds. So didn't want to even try typing.

I came home just a bit early than planned. I had soaked for idli/dosa. My husband had not come yet. So I prepared dinner while the grinder was on.

Then just when everything was done, hubby came home...had coffee with him. We were discussing some important matters that had just risen.

Went out to weed and I got it almost complete when thunder and lightning rolled in. I still have about less than an hours job. Will get that completed.

Today - full house vacuuming, mopping, shopping. We have to install some additional shelving in my closet so I am hoping to clean the closet thoroughly. I am hoping to find my "mookuthi" that I lost many months ago:)

Let me see what I can achieve.

I wish to make some corrections and I sincerely hope that this is taken in the right spirit.

I see not only here but elsewhere these expressions/words:

1. mobbing - this really means "unrest created by unruly crowd". The correct word is "mopping" when wiping the floor with a damp cloth.

2. brooming - means "to hit somebody with a broom" (eg. caning).
    The correct word is "sweeping" - a broom is used for this.

3. "put my child to sleep" - very very wrong expression. The correct expression should be "put my child to bed", or "made my child sleep"

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Hi dearies

Nice to read everyone's time management.

Kamala dear nice to know about mopping, sweeping etc.

Mega dear your post was hilarious. Hope next Friday you dont forget. This time in case I get a chance to come to Dubai I want to meet you.

1 person likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Now you have my total attention Kamala :) English too.......! What fun! I am trying to remember my chaotic day from yesterday and all I can remember is a splitting splitting head ache, 4 tablets, 2 hrs of sleep, and making an Alvin mask for a friend. Ok ok ...let me try harder and remember -

5:00 am wake up

5.25 am head out to gym

7.00 am - back home

take a shower, start preparing breakfast, milk, lunch bags

8.15 drop off the first one to school

8.40 back home

clean kitchen, put away stuff, sweep the floors, get DD ready

9.15 drop off DD

9.30 back home, dress up a little and head out back to DS's school

Back by 10.30 - severe head ache has set in!!

11.30 DD comes home, give her food........go back to sleep....

oh Kamala let me stop. I am bored with this already :confused2: So simply add two more hours of sleep and about 3hrs spent on making the mask and there my day had disappeared in to oblivion.

10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vijima
    Lovely thought.
    The pleasure will be all mine, any plans soon?
    Mega

1 person likes this.