1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Induction stove - Tips and safety measures, please!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Varloo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi girls,
    I bought a Prestige Induction stove - PIC 2.0 modle. I got a 3 pice set of a tawa, a fry pan and a sauce pan free with the stove. I bought a 600 ml capacity vessel too. I request htat you people post tips and safety measures while using the stove. My cousin gave me a tip and I am posting that first.
    1. Do not switch the power main immediately as you switch off the stove. The fan will run for sometime to cool the stove top after it is put off and so it needs power to run the fan. Switch off the main power after the fan stops.
    Awaiting more tips!

2. abi445

abi445 Silver IL'ite

Hai Varalekshmy,
    Good start. Hope this is helpful to all.Here comes my tip.
    2. Donot use use extension boxes to plug in Induction stoves. It will melt the copper wire of extension box(i have experienced it)But those boxes u need to use, get heavy extension box and use it.Always try to use 5-pin plug-pointers.

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Abi,
    thank you. My husband is very conscious about safety and bought me a 5 pin plug to use for it. Actually, the power point should be 12 amps for indusction stove.

4. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi ,

exercise enough care while placing heavy vessels on the ceramic top like cooker as it cannot be repaired once damaged or cracked.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Sadhana,
    thank you.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

The pin that comes with induction stove is for 15amps plugs mostly..do keep in mind you use the same..instead of going for a multi-pin plug or an extension cord ..this damages the life of the stove.

earlier induction stoves (5/6 years back) were partial to copper bottom..but the latest ones like prestige and preethi do not..they work with s.s/nonstick with a special based suitable for non-stick or cast iron. invest in a few induction compatible vessels if necessary.

ensure there are no cockroaches/insects that enter the base..they can damage the mother board..

the capacity of most induction stoves are in the range of 10to 12kgs maximum with a few new entrants upto 15kgs..it is better to be careful not to overload,which could crack the ceramic surface..

never heat an empty vessel..

never move the stove when it is on and more so when you are in between cooking for convenience sake.

though we know that the stove is not hot, it is better not to leave cloth, paper that could catch fire too close to the stove.

do not use another heavy load appliance from the same switch board. i have a chimney and my induction on the same board. so i have to be careful of not operating both at the same time or move the induction to another source.

since induction works on magnetic field principles, do not bring electronic gadgets like cellphone too close to the stove...

2 people like this.
  7. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

hi,

Thanks a lot for useful tips.. am planning to buy PREETHI Induction. some one told SOWBAGYA also too gud. am confused. pls tell me which one is best among two?? and what r all d points should be keep in mind bef. buy induction stove??

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Heeeyy,

My campus accommodation had an induction stove to use. I wish I had read this thread earlier, struggled with it for few days, then got very comfortable with it!

Very useful tips :)

Cheers,
    Arch

9. sairam27

sairam27 New IL'ite

For Induction stove you are forced to use only stainless steel or iron vessels . try Infra red Hob which can use any vessel including mud. here the stove starting wattage is 300w instead of 2000w so burning is avoided