My lil' Pumpkin... Abhishek ! :)

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by Drpreethis, May 21, 2010.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Pumpkin... something, I detest to be called ! :) But, when it comes to babies, that word does strike a smile. :)

Pregnancy was one roller coaster ride. Every trimester had new perks to offer. Developed Carpel TUnnel Syndrome which I never had.. and aches in all places which I never knew existed in my body :)

When people say it is all worth it when you see your LO's face, I believed ! Babies are cute ! I am sure one feels elated when you see them.

As I entered my 36th week and grew bigger taking atleast a minute to turn from one side to the other while sleeping.. I thought I am done with it and wanted to have my son soon !

I drew close to my EDD and everyone around me said - BOYS COME OUT EARLY ! My sonny choose to prove everyone wrong. On my EDD, May 11th.. I was like 2 cm dilated. MY God, imagine I had 8 cm more to go to make it to the much so famous- PUSH ! But the good part ( according to my gynec ) was between 9th and 11th I had a HUGE change. She was amazed at the sudden change, but I was like it is just 2 cm ! :bonk

She said, she would induce me on the end of 40th week ie., the 17th but felt strong that I would go into natural labour. I didnt care which one, I just wanted to get done with it. :)

On May 12th after my appointment, I had constant backache. After dinner, I was like dead tired because of the pain. Went to bad having the jamoons my hubbypie made in the evening because wife asked for it. I gulped nearly 6 at a stretch and mommy felt, I would deliver the next day because, I desired for something and am eating soo much. My sister kept calling me and asking me to eat whtever I crave for. Oh ! I ddint want to EAT, I wanted to DELIVER !

At about 1 am on May 13th my backache started to go weirder. I was running to restroom more often. Suddenly at 2 am the pain radiated to my belly. I wasnt sure if it was contractions, because the BH I had got in my second trimester was NOTHING like this. :bonk

SInce it was periodic, I started to time it from 2 am. I remebered in the childbirth classes and handouts given at the doctor's office, a number was repeated 511 ! We had to get 1 contraction every 5 minutes in every hour.. that is when they call it active labour. Whoa ! I was getting it and knew I was getting somewhere. I finally, woke my hubby at 4 am and told him, we need to call the doctor. The minute the person heard my voice, she said, get quickly to the hospital.

We reached at 5 am and I was put on fetal monitor and all gadgets. Sonny was doing good with a neat heartrate.. But he never moved. He was in deep sleep. Meanwhile my contractions was like every 3 minutes. I wanted to know how much I was dilated, so that I can take a call on epidural. I was aware that after 8 cm they dont give you epidural. I was also, confirmed that the contractions were for real. When the doctor checked, I was 2 cm still ! Godddd ! Imagine going through the whole time with this
    Ahhh and Ooohh ss and dialting in milimeters ! :bonk

I asked the doctor wether I need to be admitted they told me your son has to move. This boy didnt respite taking in Gingerale or iced water and chips ! FInally, they put me on IV to get him moving. They said I was dehydrated since the last few hours.. Imagine, I used to drink like 5 ltrs of water everyday throughout my pregnancy and just the last few hours of not drinking much due to pain, lead me to dehydaration.. :(

Sonny still didnt move, but his hear rate was good. They decided to add some sugar to the IV. There, he was then ! Shook his little butt. :)

They admitted me and said - YOU WILL HAVE YOUR BABY TODAY ! :) My question obviously was, WHEN ? She said, end of the day or late evening maybe. I said, Ok, let me take the epidural then. I was put on them by 10 am and that was my best decision ( thanks to the childbirth classes ) then. Had I been moaning and groaning the whole day, I would've been so exhausted by the end of the day, that I wouldnt have had any energy. But, I slept through the whole day and kept sipping on water and ice chips.. They dont give anything to eat once you have contrations regualrly..

I was 4 cm at 3 pm ! They increase the dose of medicine every 3-4 hours. The whole leg was numb and I was sleeping like a baby. But every now and then when I felt the pressure and baby move.. I was like, Wow, what a medicine. :) The whole procedure of epidural was more like a bee sting ! No pain at all. Even when they took the catheter out, it was totally painless.

At about, 6 pm , parents visited me and were like, feeling soo bad to see me with the oxygen mask and gadgets. Mommy cried. :) I could understand her tears well then ! :)

They left and at about 8.15 pm and when checked again, I was told I was 8 cm dilated ! WOW ! I knew I was there. But then, unfortunately, the epidural cover came down and I was feeling pain. I asked them for very little dose, but they refused and said, it is time to push in an hour.

Finally, at 9.15 the nurse said, Ok, let us start to push now, preethi ! You will be done with it in 2-3 hours ! WHAT ??? Pushing for 2-3 hours.. I will be dead I thought. She said, that is how it usualy goes in first pregnancy.

I started to push by then and strangely, I felt pain only in the 1st 15 mins. After that, as the pressure was getting released from the upper abdomen, I knew it is true - IT IS ALL ABOUT A PUSH ! :thumbsup

I pushed harder and harder everytime and knew I would be done the sooner and harder I did that. As I write this now, I smile because last week this time- PUSH was the word I was hearing ! :)

FInally at 10.15 pm, the doctors and pedeatricians arrived and they kept saying We can see the head. The nurse was too thrilled that I made it in 1 hour ! :)

At 10.27 pm I heard the world's sweetest voice .. My son crying ! :)

It was very emotional when they put him over me and I just whispered the pet name I used to always call him as when he was in my belly, he opened his eyes.. It was a thrilled moment for me ! :)

Yes, I agree it was all worth it ! :)

I had a second degree tear and was being sutured ( stiched ) .. But, never knew anything because of the epidural again.

Was in the hospital for 48 hours and got discharged with my baby. Had visitors the same day as no one could wait any longer ! :)

Recovering from the stiches now and to be frank, the 9 month was a better sail than this 1 week of pain from the stiches ! :bonkIt gets soo sore and I couldnt sit well for this long. Now, am getting better.

Sonny feeding well and the intial days of latching on was indeed a circus I never forget !

Right now, enjoying motherhood and it is the bst scene when I watch my hubby pie holding his son close to him.. :)

Thanks for all the good wishes.. from everyone.

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

:partyYAY! Preethi, You are back. CONGRATULATIONS!! I missed you. My heart wishes to little Abhishek. Cute name.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Let me be the first one to congratulate you an dyour husband on your little bundle of joy, Abhishek!! happy mothering.

4. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Wow.. you have a power to narrate. well written. Your write up indeed unwrapped my golden days in memory.

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Abhishek's Mom,

Congrats and welcome to motherhood! Take care. Pleasantly surprised at your loved one's name. We share the name for our sons:)

Kisses to Lil' Abhi and hugs to you!

Cheers from

Big Abhi's Mom:thumbsup

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Congrats to both of you DrPreethi..on your new bundle of joy.
    All the very best to Abhishek!:thumbsup
    Enjoy!

sriniketan

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on the arrival of the little bundle of joy!:party
    Welcome little Abhishek!

8. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Preethi,
    Was wondering where you were. Congrats on your little blessing. Take care.

--DDC

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Preethi

Congratulations on the new arrival! I'm glad everything went well for you, and I like the lovely name you have chosen for your son. Thanks for a great description of your labour and delivery experience. Expectant mothers who read it will be reassured by the great example you've set - your cheerful and positive take on L&D is very encouraging.

I know you've got a lot on your mind right now, but I have been missing your deft touch on the IL forums and look forward to your coming back at some point in the future. Best wishes for the roller coaster ride that will be the next few months ;)

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Congrats on becoming Mom. A hearty Welcome to Little Abhishek.