1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

which cheese is the best for kids ?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by rosary, Jun 1, 2010.

1. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

i have seen different types of cheese in the market , like ,
    cream cheese
    cheddar
    Parmesan
    mozzarella (thats for pizza )

at present ,i give my dd cream cheese everyday ...

but would like to know ...

what kind of cheese is good for kids ?
    is it good to give kids cheese everyday , if yes how much ?

2. Kupadhyay

Kupadhyay New IL'ite

Hi,

As per my knowledge unprocessed cheddar cheese is good for kids. But lets wait for everyone's opinion.

Regards,

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

i don't know how authentic these cheese are as available in india. i think most of them are processed unlike their original counterparts in europe and elsewhere. parmesan you can use in pizza or pasta but not to give like sandwich cheese slices. they're a bit too strong. mozzarella - if your child is more than 2 years old for sure. what we get here is made of buffalo milk so a bit heavy. but a small portion wouldn't do any harm. i give my son emmental, gouda.. he likes only mild and soft cheese. all types of cheese slices he likes but they're processed so i avoid them.

Latha

4. september

september Bronze IL'ite

would it be specified on the pack if it is processed or unprocessed ???

5. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

i too would like to know how to know if t is processed or unprocessed cheese ?

i usually grate the cheese into the egg and make omelette and give to my dd ..

any other methods that i can give cheese to my daughter , other than in sandwiches ,

6. Kupadhyay

Kupadhyay New IL'ite

Hi...you can also try giving cheese paratha, cheese rolls..depending on your kids age and tastes.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In most countries there are laws that prevent processed cheeses from being labeled simply as 'cheese'. Usually processed cheeses will have 'processed cheese', 'cheese product', 'cheese spread', 'cheese food' or 'American cheese' on the labeling. Natural cheese will simply have cheese written on it or more often the name of a specific variety of cheese like Mozarella, Parmigiano Reggiano, Romano etc. Also if the ingredient list reads like laundry list of unfamiliar items then it most definitely doesn't qualify as a natural cheese!

1 person likes this.
  8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rosary,

I introduced cheddar cheese slices for my daughter after 10 months. One slice is sufficient for one go. I give it sparingly on alternate days because it is processed with high salt content though she loves it. Here is a site referred by tikka - Introducing Solids to Your 8 month to 10 month old Baby, Solid Food Charts for 8 to 10 Months old - Introducing Baby to Meats, Spices, Fruits, Vegetables and Meat

You will get an idea of the diary products to be introduced at what age. You can opt for a mix by using paneer, and other food with calcium content so that she gets a mix of all.