1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

4.5months old baby food

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by AnithaPartha, Apr 14, 2010.

1. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Thats exactly how I prepare Daksh!

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the clarification :)

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

anitha since u are in the US , u can start him on gerber rice... oats barley wheat need to be hold off for now.if u want to prepare rice cereal at home its easy peasy.... just dry fry brown rice till aroma comesthen grind in food processor and cook 1 tsp with water.white rice can also be used.
    next best option is to start with stage 1 fruit and veggie purees of running consistency. thats wat we did with zoey, coz rice cereal can be constipating. so be careful.
    whatever u wish to start, start with 1 miniature spoon and gradually increase.

we gave her rice cereal at nearing 6 months, till then she was on fruit and veggie purees.
    chk teh website wholesomebabyfood......for recipes

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anitha,

I had decided to go for work as soon as my baby completes 5 months.So when asked my Ped for advice,she gave me a chart as what to give my baby.Ped asked me to start the food 15 days before i start goin for work i.e wen baby completes 4 1/2 months in my case.Dont remember the complete list but still i ll tell u the order.Hope it is useful to you

Week 1 : Parboiled Rice Kanji...

(a)Take parboiled rice,fry it till golden brown,make it into powder...u can store this in some container

(b)take little jaggery mix in water completely and keep for few minutes...filter this water to remove mud from
    jaggery

(c)then take 1 spoon of Parboiled rice powder, boil it well in jaggery water.when it becomes little thick,stop boiling.

(d) mix 1 -2 drops of milk and 1-2 drops of ghee for flavour and then feed the baby

Week 2 : Parboiled Rice- Roastedgram(Pottu Kadalai) Kanji

Same procedure as above.U can fry parboiled rice and Rosted gram.Make into powder and keep.The ratio is

Rice 4 parts : Roasted Gram 1 part.

Week 3 : Idly

Week 4: Carrots (Steam in cooker,smash and give)

Week 5 : Potatoes , Banana (Steam in cooker,smash and give)

Week 6:Apple (Peel the skin,Steam in cooker,smash and give)

Week 7 : Raji Kanji

Take Raji,Clean with water,Tie and keep in wet cloth till you get the roots(molai vittapram),then fry till u get gud
    smell,make into powder and keep.U can also add the roasted gram which do the make the baby's

tummy too heavy.Rest of proc same as for Parboiled rice kanji.

Every week you have to increase the items, i mean first week u have t try Parboiled rice kanji and then next week give Parboiled Rice- Roastedgram(Pottu Kadalai) Kanji in the morning and Parbooiled rice kanji in the eve.The foods need to be
    added on week by week basis.

Along with this my doctor had asked to give my baby NAN1 milk formula.

Rice we started giving after my daughter completed 7 1/2 months.It is generally not advisable to give rice at an early stage as it
    can create constipation.Apples for few babies also could create constipation.Make sure you give the baby banana.That will help the baby to Also make sure you give enough water to prevent
    constipation.Few babies dont like the rice kanji so u can also try giving oats.My daughter used to eat properly in the beginning
    and later dint like the same food.After 6 months we started giving her cerelac.So dont worry even if your kid doesn'e eat properly,it takes time for them to adjust.

After i come home, i completely breastfeed her.I dont give her anythin other than breast milk.

One more thing is that babies after you start the solids tend to pass stools in green color.Dont worry, they are getting adjusted to
    the solids food.Few babies dont pass stools for 2-3 days, its ok according to wat my PEd told me.In case they dont pass stools after that also, then consult your Ped.

Hope u find my suggestions useful

1 person likes this.
  5. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anitha/ Mridhusudha,

Am thinking of starting cereals for my 4 month old, but confused on whether to use feeding bottles or cup-spoon .

can you please share your experience, pros / cons .

I also need the ratio that you used , milk :cereal . what consistency should this be ?
    somthing like yoplait yogurt consistency will work ?
    or should it be like milkshake consistency ?