1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First Foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, Feb 23, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Please advise,
    DD has been having purees for over 2 weeks now - banana, chiku, apple sauce, carrot, squash etc etc. She seems to be ok .. but looks like it doesn't fill her ...so I give her 1-2 oz of milk after her food. This meal is for her lunch. Apart from this, she is only BFd.

I started with ragi today ... very little. I want to know for to give this to DD .... should it be ragi with carrot, banana ....etcetc .... or plain ragi.
    I am not adding sugar or salt to it.

What if I want to start another evening meal? What in morning and what in evening?

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, same thing happened with zoey, looked liked she was hungry again in the evening.

lunch i give her 1 scoop easum with any puree 2oz... it usually is peas,green beans,pumpkin,apple,sweet potato

dinner is 2 scoops easum with water.it fills her tummy and she is happier.

this is apart from breastfeeding her for around 8-9 times.

my output for ragi wasnt satisfactory, so i am going to ask MIL to make the powder.if not once we get all set in the new house, i am going to stop easum.give her vegetable stew and rice kanji or moong dal khichdi.evenings will see wat to do,maybe oats with fruit puree.at around 7 months i think if she is coping well will start wheat.(dalia/bulgar wheat)

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

LO is close to 7 months and I am planning to start 3 solid feeds .... I have ragi kanji and red-rice+moong dal kanji. She will eat both, so I am planning to alternate and give.
    BUT, she will not eat these kanjis plainly (who will?:)). I should either mix banana with ragi, or carrot-beans puree with rice kanji. Whatever ..she eats the kanji more for the taste of what I mix in it.

Question - Is there a rule what I should mix with what? Fruit with ragi, veg with rice, what veg etc. I use my own combinations. I am only using fruits and veggies acceptable for 6-8 month olds.

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

* Read it ass 2 solid feeds, not 3

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramya - there is no rule really; do as you are doing right now. In a month or less it will be time to start regular rice/dal anyway so this phase wont last long. If you are a believer of the hot/cold food system (some foods generate heat etc.) then I think you would be asked to mix a "hot" food with a "cooling" one. I have no idea about that as I dont believe in all that.

V.

6. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

hai
    how u added lillypie in ur signature pls let me know

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya LO got fed up of giving purees mixed in rice+dal etc.
    so heres wat i have been doing

from this wk i be starting oats,zucchini, papaya for her

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  8. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

That is a great chart!! You inspire me.
    Tell me this -
    1. When I just give purees, I feel she is not full. So, I am including ragi/rice.
    2. When you say cerelac, is it plain wheat?
    3. Oats - Will you be using the quick cooking ones? Powder them?
    4. Kichdi - How do you make this?

Vanathi -
    I have a big problem. My In-laws are adament that they will not start normal rice until they do a formal 'Annaprasanam'. Though I am asking DH to have one such small function in a template by 8-9 months, I am not sure if we can have it before 12 months.
    How do I manage without rice until 1 year?

And I dunno anything about Hot or Cold food.

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramya - can you tell your ILs that the medical advcie is to start rice in a normal consistency well before the first bday? Excepting a few babies the vast majority will be able to manage rice in a normal consistency around 9-10 months and I honestly would not advcie pureeing food beyond that age (I actually stopped at 7-8 mnths). So to me waiting until 1 year means starting other textured solids like rotis/ upma /dosa etc. as the main food instead of rice - dont know how well that will go down with your ILs either. As for the hot/cold stuff if you havent been nagged about that already then no worries - forget it :)

Gaya3 - guess you've figured out the siggie already :)

V.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya,except for fruits she hates texture still.so her khichdi i still puree...maybe a month more and she will get used to mashed up rice or khichdi, esp since i am planning to start curd at around 7.5 months or so.

i nomore give her single fruit purees...
    heres wat i do,
    1 big pear+ 1/2 big plum(i found these extremely juice and soft ones at hypercity...they are from egypt lol,and pathetically pricey, but works since its still cheaper than giving gerber pears!) cook and puree.this comes to around 4 oz and that is filling!

1 tiny sweet potato+1/4th white potato both boiled.puree,add 2 tbsp cowsmilk.

1 tbsp ragi+ water+ couple of drops of jaggery syrup.cook, mix in 2 tbsp milk

khichdi 1 tbsp rice, 1 tsp moong dal(yellow one), tiny bit of carrot,pinch jeera pwd.cook,puree.this amount actually comes to more than wat she can eat, but we cant cook less than this in the cooker!!!

oats, i am planning to partially grind quick cooking ones. will try to get the regular rolled ones.didnt find wen i last went to the market!will cook it with water, add bit banana and give.

so that way khichdi with veggies and oats with fruit ,ragi alone..thats wat i plan to do now.
    cerelac yes we started her on plain wheat recently and she is doing well, before we used to give her easum,mixed with water.