1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

do you give your kids coffee or tea ?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by rosary, Dec 18, 2009.

1. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

From the beginning i was against giving my kid tea or coffee .
    but my in laws always get angry when I ask them not to give my kid coffee or tea even at the age of 10 months.

at 3 yrs of age i let my kid drink just 2 to 3 spoons of tea as she gets curious to know what it is when we are drinking.
    I still dont give her coffee.

i just wanted to know how many of you give your kids coffee or tea and at what age did you start.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, I understand your concerns about handling family about coffee/tea (one of my friends had to wage a pitched battle). I do not give coffee or tea to my three year old and do not intend to till he turns 14/15. For one reason, tea and coffee has caffeine which is a stimulant and is known to suppress hunger. That said, I do not intend giving him coca cola or pepsi or any other caffeinated drinks either. It also has a diuretic effect and disturb the water balance in your body. Three is too young and they wont be able to handle the effects of caffeine well then.
    A friend of mine suggested a way to assuage curiosity when they drink their teas and children ask for some too. They make "special tea" with the child, add a few drops of tea decoction into a cup of milk and pretend it is special. That could distract your child. HTH.

3. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

thank you tikka for the prompt reply .
    at this age ... the tea i give is just the froth thats left in the glass when the hot tea is cooled ... though that also contains some tea .
    anyway i am trying not to make this a big issue infront of the kid as they get more interest in something that is prohibited for them .
    and the best thing is i am not living with my in laws , so the problem is only when i visit them annually .

coffee still is a total NO for the kid .

whats your opinion on mothers drinking tea or coffee when lactating?
    i used to drink tea( as i have got addicted and refraining means headache the whole day) , but never coffee,which i consider is more dangerous .

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. aishvijay

aishvijay New IL'ite

Normally i used to give my son (2 years old) a teaspoon of coffee, tea, boost, horlicks for taste...

5. paru72

paru72 Silver IL'ite

dear rosary,
    it is vey unhealthy to give kids tea/coffee.if ur in laws dont listen to u;then tell ur kids that it is a bad drink.tell them this every day so that it stays in their mind.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I dont give either and definitely dont plan to until DS is 17-18 ie. aftr he is out of school. To me coffe and tea are adult beverages and should be a matter of choice after they are adults. If DS gets curious I will tell him that he can have it when he is grown-up; I dont forsee any problem with that.

Vanathi.

PS - I didnt have it until I was 17 either and I never felt like drinking my parents coffee.

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i remember when i was around 5-6 yrs old i would fight with my mom , why i wasnt allowed tea and coffee , when they cld drink ... she then got smart and gave me a cup of tea everyday... wat she wld do? she wld take a couple of teaspoons of tea from her cup, pour into mine and fill the rest with milk LOL

i felt nice about being "grown up and able to hv my cup of tea" :)

but now as a mom, i do know these are adult beverages and to be avoided for kids , as a kid i wanted to be an "adult" though!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Poonam, my DD asked for tea, just for the same reason, she wants to be treated as a grown up :)) But i tell her, fine, have tea, but i didnt drink tea when i was a kid coz that spoils health, you have decided to spoil your stomach, i dont mind, drink :)) She wud think for a while.. then she wud say, NOOO i dont want :)))))) Occasionally, say once in a month or so, she wud ask for a sip. And we give.

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I second everyone here. I know it can be tough to handle with in-laws esp. We live abroad but yet i face this battle everytime we visit home. This year we went for my second child's (girl) first birthday celebrations. My SIL was arguing rather heatedly that she gave coffee to both her kids (for taste!!!!) since they were 6 months old. My DH had to shout at her finally. Her argument was that they don't get 'addicted' at such a young age. even thinking of that moment flares up my anger.

Like Vanathi, me and my brother never got to even taste coffee or tea until we were 16. we were simply told 'no' and that was it. i follow the same with my kids too. My son now tells anyone that coffee and tea are only for adults. so that's the only way to handle this situation. you cannot battle it out with in-laws so simply teach your child that it's really bad for health. why give a child anything that is unnecessary and potentially unhealthy? we don't stock up cola/pepsi at home and neither do we order it when eating out.

and for drinking while pregnant i got off coffee and stuck to one chai a day. rest of the time i drank herbal teas.. it was tough in the beginning then got used to it. i used to be a heavy coffee drinker but after 2 pregnancies now an occasional coffee is just enough for me. i drink tea instead.

Latha

10. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

Thankyou for all your responses .

Yes definitely its difficult to deal with in lwas in this matter .
    But i have decided on not giving my kid any of these drinks .