1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Issues at breakfast time

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vinu4me, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Vinu does not like to have idli's or dosas for breakfast. She enjoys porridges though. Any ideas on how I can make Idli's and dosas more palatable. Do you think she is not yet ready for the idli and dosa consistency of food?

Also, can you all share porridge recipes with me. I do not know many. I just give oats or dahlia or ragi porridge in thick consistency.

Help please!

Regards,
    Poornima.

2. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

Its great :clapthat your kid prefers Ragi/Oats....Ragi is EXCELLENT for kids.

I wish my kids would have what Vinu has, they prefer idli/dosas........would love to have them ragi

My guess is she will eventually switch to dosa/idli, while she enjoys ragi/oats, let her continue having it!!

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

For now I would continue with the porridge and just keep offering idli or dosa. At some point she will start to want the real food and may get bored with kanji type breakfast.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, I do think she preferas the semi-solid but smooth consistency right now. When she is ready for the chunkier foods, I guess idlis and dosas will work. What worked for us was idlis with curd at around 15 months. Porridge can be made from many grains, in addition to the ones you mentioned (what is dahlia?). Millets make for excellent breakfast when soft cooked with mild condiments. You could make the millets like you would upma or grits with veggies when she is ready for chunky.

5. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Tikka,

Need to try out millets. What is it called in tamil. Dahlia is broken wheat rava.

Regards,
    Poornima

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

thinai, samai, varagu, kezhvaragu, cholam... Amaranth if you get it are good breakfast grains...
    I will try dahlia and see, DS does like wheat upma. Tks.

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Krithiga,

how do you cook amaranth? we get it a lot here and heard it's a very good source of iron. i use normal millet for A's porridge with some banana puree and she'll have it any time of the day.

Poornima,

A started having idli and dosa only recently. earlier she used to choke on them. if you want her to get familiarised with the taste try mashing idli with lots of curd and giving it in semi-solid consistency.

Latha

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Poornima;
    My little chinnu also had the same prob. Idly, dosa, no thank you very much;)
    She used to have upma for breakfast. Now she has dosa, provided we cut it into bits and put in a plate in front of her. She will take her own sweet time, but she will clean the plate. May be vinu will also accept dosa in a few months.
    B/w what this amaranth?
    - nitha

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

@ Nitha, this is amaranth.
    @Latha, it needs longer cooking times than millet, close to 45 min. I did it mostly like rawa kichdi, but used the cooker for 25 mins instead (low flame after 1st whistle).
    I have not tried porridge with it... maybe worth the while trying it out. Thanks for the idea.

10. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Krithika - the link you sent says it is mulaai keerai. Are you actually referring to the seeds or the greens itself. I am actually a bit confused. If it is seeds, can u get it at your local grocers shop? Do you need to soak it before you cook it? If you don't mind, can you share the actual recipe that use for K?

Thanks and Regards,
    Poornima.