1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Menu for 8 month old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Shrikha, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need your suggestions for my kids menu. He has just completed 8 months. And he has constipation problem. The menu for the day is given below:

7 am : Idli

9 am : Formula

11 am : Banana

12.30 pm : rice+dal+veggy

3.30 pm : milk

5.30pm : milk

7.30pm : rice+fried gram dal powder made as thick kanji suggested by paed.

10 pm : milk and also in the nights between every 3 hrs

I feel that he is lacking nutrition by the above menu. Could you please guide me with the other food options and the recipes.
    Also since he is having constipation I will be stopping banana to check if thats the problem. I cant give him biscuits due to constipation.

What are the other food items that can be given instead of banana?

Is bread ok, can it be given to an 8month old?

2. Stephane

Stephane Senior IL'ite

Hi Shirika,
    at 12.30 you can give Raggi in alternative days.That will help a lot. And also after 15 mins food, give plenty of water.
    and you can give banana/orange juice around 5.00
    and you can give boild smashed apple also instead of banana in alternative days.
    this worked well for my baby
    keep me updated if this works out for your baby.

3. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for your reply. My kid has constipation problem and hence paed has advised not to give him apple and biscuits. I read in these forums that Banana also causes constipation and hence I would like to give something else in its place.
    Regarding ragi, I read in some site that it does not get digested for babies and since my kid is just 8mnths I am not sure if I could try this(My DH is also against ragi). Could you please suggest any other alternative?

4. Stephane

Stephane Senior IL'ite

Hi Shirika,
    Raagi - I started giving to my baby at 5.5 months.He didn't have any issues.He liked it very much
    and I gave boiled smashed apple and banana too .All thes were suggested by my Pediatrician.If you are not comfortable You can give powdered oats boiled in milk with bit of sugar and salt.This is also suggested by my pediatrician.,
    Raagi and Oats are high in Fiber.That helps a lot to reduce contistipation.
    Give plenty of water and Mosambi Juices.

How is your baby now?

5. jasgeorge

jasgeorge New IL'ite

Hi Shirika,
    I would suggest that the kanji you make be not so thick. A watery kanji will be one way to make sure baby is getting more fluids. Boil a little bit of rice in water then add spinach, carrots and tomatoes and puree this. Feed baby apples too, in between meals, just take an apple and scrape bit by bit with spoon and feed baby. Introduce new food slowly, so baby's tummy can adjust. Hope this helps
    Regards
    Jas

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I give my son mix vegs with his rice+daal or rice+chicken every day. Rooty fibrous veggies such as carrots and sweet potatoes help a lot with the constipation problem. Other veggies I give are lauki, capsicum(red), spinach, brocolli, cabbage.1/4 cup of veggies per day should help with the constipation problem.

what I do is steam the veggies. then put a ghee tadka with jeera powder, haldi powder and pinch of salt and then puree the veggies and feed along with rice and daal or chicken.

7. NewWoman

NewWoman Senior IL'ite

I give my son plenty of fruits and vegetables. Pureed apples, mashed bananas, mango pieces, pureed prunes. Also veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, spinach etc. Also give your son water after every meal. I have started giving him yogurt and that helps with the constipation too. Also, give a variety in cereals, oats, barley, brown rice etc.

8. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Thanks for the various suggestions. Will surely try the options given here.:thumbsup

Hi Stephane,

My kid is fine now, still he does have constipation, his stools are very hard. But he does not cry anymore. I have stopped giving him banana, may be i will include other veggies and fruits and it might become normal. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  9. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

As suggested by you people I have changed a few of the things in my kids menu. But right now I am facing another problem, he is 10 months now and not having his breakfast and dinner properly. Yesterday he did not have BF, lunch and dinner , he just had a few spoons. I am very worried. He spits the food, has stopped having idli, he likes dosas, so we are giving him that. Wonder whats wrong with him. He has already got 2 teeth in his lower gums. He drinks milk without any problem. I have stopped BF him as the milk supply has decreased and he does not feel like having due to that.

His Breakfast used to be idli or kanji, he hates idli now, Kanji he has started spitting, so we r trying dosas.

His lunch is rice+dal+veggy+ghee, my MIL feeds him and she says he is fine with lunch, but yesterday he did not have it properly.

His dinner is rice+dal+tomato+ghee , he was having it without any problem, but for the past 3 days he has become fussy.

Can I give him curd rice in the night time, also how about chappathis and upma and such stuff?

Also please suggest me any tricks to make my kid eat. I make him play with toys, listen to songs, take him to terrace. All this failed for the past 3 days. Help me friends. I have started shouting at him due to frustration(though he doesn't mind) :bonk.