1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Age to start health drink for kids?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Deepas, May 18, 2009.

1. Deepas

Deepas New IL'ite

Hi,

My son is 1 year old. I was giving him formula. For the past 1 week I have
    started giving him cows milk. I am wondering what is the correct age to start giving health drinks like complan or pediasure to my son?
    Could anyone pls guide?

Thanks,
    Deepa.

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

In India,I think you can start with Junior Horlicks at 1 yr.Here,for my 15 mnth old,I give a pinch of Complan/Horlicks/Ovaltine/Bournvita/Boost sometimes with his milk when I feel he has not had a full meal.Otherwise,it is usually plain milk only.It is always good to introduce them to a little variety now and then.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I think the pediasure reco is for 2 to 6 years and I think this has something to do with WHO recommendation that no milk substitutes be marketed for children below the age of two - WHO recommends that the child be breastfed for at least two years till as long as both mother and child desire, so targetting that population for milk substitutes/health drinks is banned in India under the Infant Milk Substitutes Act.
    But, if you have reasons to believe your child is undernourished go ahead and give pediasure. But I dont think it will help with micronutrient deficiencies - food is the best way of dealing with that! Hope that helps.