1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can I give Honey to 6 month old baby?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vnbaby, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Fellow Mommies,

My baby is now 6 months old and she will be 7 month old on 8th of May. I have one very important query to all mommies here, Doctors here in US are completely against giving Honey to babies younger than one year but in India we always give honey to newborn :confused2: as "ghutti"(the very first thing that baby tastes) and as well as tested cough and cold remedy. So my question is has anybody give honey as cough and cold remedy to a baby younger than 1 year.

Thanks
    V n baby

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

I started giving honey for my DS from his 6th month. I dont find any problem for him. Infact you can try out giving him small quantity for one or two days and see if there is any problem. Honey actually stimulates liver and kidneys. So, try out giving him very small quantity.

3. Triza

Triza New IL'ite

Its true that in India honey is given to the newbornes, but according to medical experts it is not at all advisable. Honey should never be given to infants less than a year of age because it may cause infant botulism (a rare type of food poisoning). Ask any doctors or child experts, they will give this answer only. As far as I know the two things that is not advisable to infants under 1 year is honey and egg white. So its better to avoid.

Triza

4. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Yes Triza
    you are right.

thanks
    uma

5. lathaa

lathaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Honey might cause stomach botulism in infants at the same time in India its an age old tradition to give few drops of honey.

Another point overlooked here in India is to make baby sleep up side down which is one of the significant factor for SIDS.

So its always better be cautious than to regret latter.

6. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

hi.
    my daughter's first taste was honey...
    i give a home made hand remedy for cold - honey..
    i make my daughter sahana lick honey wen shes has loose bowels r if she throws up...
    all is well wid her..
    shes gonna be 10 months in a week..

7. sweet_jindagi

sweet_jindagi New IL'ite

My son was 5 month old when he caught by cough & cold and that time i was in india... his pedia told me to give honey with 1 drop of ginger rather than medicines and after that i always prefer to give him honey over medicines and it mostly works ... so i never found any problem with honey... in my opinion you can try giving honey to your baby....

8. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

Thanks to everybody for replying to my question. Yeah I really want to give her honey because her cough is not improving but Pedi is completely against it so I was afraid that what if she gets sick with botulism. But I am thinking of giving honey a try. So one more question which is the best brand of Honey available here is US and from where can I get it?

Thanks
    V n baby

9. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi V,

I request you to go as per your paediatrician.See, we should not compare with the advices given by doctors here and back home.I am sure he would have suggested some remedy for your child.Follow that.

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I agree with Supriya. When you are here follow what your ped says. For an otherwise healthy infant, no medication/treatment is required for cough and cold. If it persists see your doctor.