1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First solid food for baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by MOM 2 BE, Dec 5, 2008.

1. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone:

Hope you all good people out there are doing fine!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am doing great with my cutie pie being 4 months old. Gosh she has stepped into her 5 month and it all feels like just yesterday.

Now i wanna start with first solids for my baby. Out here in the US, we get a variety of baby foods. All i wanna know is:
    1) Single grain cereal -- rice, barley, oat
    a) can i give all of these one by one or should i stick to rice cereal only ?
    b) for how many months will i have to keep my baby on single grain cereals ?

2) Pureed fruits
    a) When can i start giving the single pureed fruits ?
    b) when to switch to multi pureed fruits ?
    c) how long do i have to give them ?

3) Pureed Veggies
    a) When can i start ?
    b) Should it be along pureed fruits or separate ?
    c) when to stop ?

4) When can we start giving our home food ( indian food in my case ) ?

Thanks,
    MAYA

2. superlady

superlady New IL'ite

Hope it helps.

-S

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Maya,

You might also want to read this link thoroughly.. Make Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Solid Food Baby Tips, Baby Nutrition & more!

Latha

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Maya,
    I dont live in the US but nevetheless thought I would chip in:

First of - read the site Latha gave. It is really good and has some excellent reliable info.

Second - Do make your own baby food if at all possible. It really is better to have baby eat something whose contents you know and is fresh.

Rice first (least allergenic) then oats/barley. All food must be introduced in single ingredient dishes/purees and no other new item given for atleast 4-7 days. This way you have the best chance of catching any food intolerances/allergies. It will take the better part of a month to get her to eat a reasonable quantity of solids in the first place. After that you can try a new cereal.

You can start right now - as the first food even (instead of rice). Bananas, avocado and applesauce are all good. Multiples after you have verified that all the component fruits are ok. I would strongly suggest giving bitable/chunky food around 8-9 mnths (or even earlier if your baby can manage it) - certainly before 1 year. I have seen many kids who dont get used to table food even at 3 or 4 years of age because of prolonged pureed foods.

Start now - either as first food or after rice/fruits. You can give carrots, sweet potatoes, beetroot. Stop at the same time as you stop pureeing other food.

I started dal rice at 6 and a half months - pureed initially and after 7 mnths mashed by hand. Other foods - idli/dosa etc. after 8 mnths. At 1 year my son was on family food (with lower chilli/spice levels for very spicy dishes). The general aim is to get your child on ordinary family food (3 meals +/- 2 snacks) by 12-18 mnths.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. Proud_Mom

Proud_Mom Guest

How to introduce semi solid diet?

When I finally got a green signal from my son's pediatrician to start semi solids for my son, I was so excited. But, looks like I'm the only one to be happy cuz my 5 and a half month old son seems to hate semi solid diet. I started with Nestum and he clearly dislikes it. So, I tried ragi kangi, Heinz fruit and yoghurt breakfast and pureed apple. But he does not seem to like any semi solid diet. Some times he cries after tasting them or just does a funny face showing dislike and pushes it out of his mouth. Its more than a week since I introduced him to the new diet but he is still not happy with it.

Is this normal with all the kids? I'm just worried if he will get all the necessary nutrition from his forumla feeds alone and if he will ever start liking his semi solid diet. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.

6. hema.thiyagu

hema.thiyagu New IL'ite

Re: How to introduce semi solid diet?

Hi...
    I believe you stay in India. I am an indian too... but we are put up in USA.
    I too started with semi solids for my son at 5 months of his age. But here the docs recommend the solids only at 6 mos...

Dont give up on the solid foods. Sometimes children can be fussy...
    Try this:
    Peel the carrot or apple
    Cut them into small bits
    pressure cook carrots and apples
    Grind them in a mixie
    Do not add sugar.

Your son might not have liked the citrus concentrates and preservatives they add to the foods. This is a good time to distract kids. So try to make him sit supported, hand him over a rattle and start to feed him with a spoon. If he starts to fuss, hand him the spoon and see how he reacts. Using another spoon or the same spoon jus feed him one mouth at a time...

Ask your doc for blanched rice with yogurt/milk on ur next visit

7. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

introducing kanji

hi aadhusmom
    this is my 2nd kid harshaa and she is 4.5months old.
    i hav been bfing her till now.
    hav to start on solids,
    pl giv me suggestion.
    should i start on kanji or fruit and veggies?
    pl giv a chart if possible
    thanking u in advance
    krips

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: introducing kanji

Kripa,

Please check the stickies in this forum. There is also a table that lists food that are safe to introduce as first foods and also ways to prepare them.

Latha

PS: I have merged your query with existing threads. Please also go through the discussions...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Proud_mom: I hope this is not a very delayed response.
    Looks like your child's gag and tongue thrust reflex has not gone away. I would suggest you wait and introduce solids after your child turns 6 months. Turning four or 6 months or a certain chronological age is not the only milestone you need to look for. See if your child is ready for solids:
    1. not satiated after breastfeeds and nurses more frequently for more than a week
    2. sits up assisted
    3. has lost her gag and tongue thrust reflexes
    4. shows interest in solids or foods that your family eats.
    My 6 weeks preemie was not ready for solids at 6.5 months when we first tried, he took to them only at 7.5 months and was on to table food by 12 months.
    So try not to worry. Offer foods in varying consistencies and textures. Some children prefer lumpier and coarser foods if they are starting later.

10. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

my baby is 4 months old, my pediatrician has given green signal to start feeding solids.
    she has asked me to start with gerber 1st stage foods and then rice cereal,oatmeal, raggi

but the nurse in her clinic gave her a sheet about solids and there it is written to start with rice cereal.

am so much confused now .when i asked my mom she said ust listen to ped .but as what i read in this forum,and in google everyone started with rice cereal.

please help me experienced mom's

1 .when can i start giving ragi
    2 . is starting with veggi/fruit puree from gerber 1 st stage foods as first solid food is ok did you hear anyone starting with veggie first?
    3 . how many spoons to start with ,how to mix rice cereal and when can i increase the quantity? and also veggie pure quantity as am first time mom am not knowing how much the baby eats
    4. should i give water to my baby after feeding solids.
    5. also i dont have a silver vessel with me to feed my baby,we lost it with our luggage which cereal bowl and spoons should i buy now. feeling so bad to feed him in plastic as i so wanted to feed him in silver bowl with a silver spoon.

offoo i have so many queries i wish i can talk to someone and get cleared.