1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Giving papayas to kids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by vv123, Nov 14, 2008.

1. vv123

vv123 New IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter 2 1/2 yrs old lovs papaya. But for the past few she complains of tomach pain after her give her. Though I give her mozambi juice or milk after that. Doc advised me that the papayaas are a little hot for kids.. give other fruits.. have any of u tried papayas and have complains.. papayas are full of vitamins how do i give her ?

Vidya

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Vidya - I've been giving my son papayas since he was 9 mnths old - never had any problems yet. I used to give it pureed with curd, later switched to the plain fruit.

Vanathi.

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

My son too had no problems with Papaya. He started having after 1 yr. May be for some children it does not suit! Like for me if i eat in Germany i don't feel anything but if I eat in Chennai heat I get heat pimples or stomach pain... May be you can give her as a fruit salad with other fruits so she'll eat a mixture and not just papaya.

Latha

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Vidya, sounds like your daughter is having problems digesting some of the enzymes in the papaya (namely papain).

The reason papaya is called 'hot' is because of this enzyme (it's also a protein degrading enzyme which could be the reason why women in their early pregnancy are advised to not eat papaya). Papain and its components can be a little difficult to digest by some people. So you may want to hold off on papaya for a while, and re-introduce again later on.

You can even try giving her a really, really ripe papaya, and like Vanathi said, try adding it with dahi (yogurt). Maybe the good flora in dahi will ease the digestive process and help her.

Raj

1 person likes this.
  5. vv123

vv123 New IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. I have stooped giving papayas for some time. But I don't know what was tha problem. She actually had stomach infection. Probably with re-introduce it later. Mixing the papayas with curd is a good option. Will try that one..

Vidya

6. mahamaruthi

mahamaruthi New IL'ite

hi!!
    my daughter is completing 2 years by this october,still giving mother 's feed..dono how am going to stop..i tired for 3 times but I cant...pl give any tips...

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Vv123
    I would support what riyasmommy had to say that papayas should be really ripe when given to children.And at 2 and half she should be able to eat it without much issues.But now that she's complaining of stomach ache i think you should avoid it for sometime before giving it again.We underestimate the value of simple fruits like bananas,citrus fruits and guavas which are easily available ,not heavy on stomach at the same time rich in vitamins like vit-K,C and A.
    So for sometime i think you should replace papayas by other fruits in your child's diet.