1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What to feed my 2 yrs old kid not interested in eating?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by coolbuddy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. coolbuddy

coolbuddy New IL'ite

Dear ILs,
    I am in USA, My son is 2 years and 7 months old. Not showing interest in eating anything, this includes chocolates cookies, cheese, lolly-pops even ice cream
    I am sending him to a play-school, where they are providing snacks like cheerios with milk, waffles, bread. My son is not eating anything and he eats a little bit if the teacher feed him. I am ttreat-endinghim by saying "time-out", he just goes to the timeout room and sitting himself on the timeout-chair. Other than food, he is happy with everything like playing hide-and-seek, jumping, drawing, I can say he is very active. He likes to watch cartoon, but when he never swallows while watching. Every feeding is a big hhasslefor me. He looks very thin.
    Ok, now, my questions are
    1. What type of breakfast I can give him in the morning before leaving school. (please don't say anything, please mention the item name)
    2. How to make him eat by himself with interest
    Please.. please help me.
    My pedi. says "no need to feed him until he takes by himself. He knows how much he needs to eat, as for as he is active no need to worry"
    My son looks very thin, I could count his rib-bone, so I couldn't leave him forcing to eat.
    Please let me know any way to find solution to my problem!
    I will be thankful to those who gives me suggestion!
    Thanks in advance
    Dear Moderator, if you feel this is not the proper place to post, please move this post to the proper place. Thanks in advance<ABBR title="2008-09-18 07:10:15">

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

3. coolbuddy

coolbuddy New IL'ite

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I agree with the doctor - as long as your son is active and in good health, you don't have to worry. Some kids go through phases where they seem to survive on thin air! But kids' bodies are self-regulating - no child will ever starve him/herself to the point of damaging themselves, on their own.

Moreover, children's nutritional demands and growth slow down from year 1-2 onwards (compare with year 1 where they tripe their birth weight!), so they don't need as much.

In my opinion we mothers worry most of the time. Just offer him variety of foods - readymade cereals, fruits that are easy to eat like banana, clementines, dried fruit like raisins, and regular food like idli/dosa/chapathis/daal/rice etc.

See if he shows any preference for at least one of these. Then you may try combining one that he does not like much with one he likes. You can also try making funny shapes/games (put cheerios in the form of a face - make eyes, nose, mouth etc). If nothing else works try fried foods or pizza - most kids love these (mine certainly does and could easily live on french fries alone). Not the first preference, but eating something is better than nothing.

Another idea is to take him to a place where he can run so that he will be tired and feel hungry.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

For menu ideas you can please refer to the link given by Supriya.

I wanted to ask you about the 'time-out'. Do you give your child time-out if he refuses to eat? How long have you been doing this? Was he eating well before? I was just thinking may be he is associating eating with time-out and so has got an aversion to eating. Don't go behind his back and beg him to eat or anything... children of his age clearly understand where we draw the line on many things. When you have food serve him as well and ask him to join you. If he shows no interest tell him he can join after 5 minutes and then when you're done remove the plate. I think gradually he'll start eating.

Latha

6. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

If a child is in normal health, as active as he /she should be for a toddler, should eat something at least!sometimes, the kid may look thin, but be of normal weight.Have you tried involving him, while preparing food ...like making him participate in preparing the vegetables, engaging him in conversations while in the kitchen about fruits, veggies etc.?Make eating time a pleasant one, might work.Kids make the most fuss for eating, and I personally feel that they do it, since they get all the more attention, which they crave for from their parents.Big Laugh

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hey,
    try not calling him for eating. My son also was like that, he will never eat anything. However I try, no use. If forced, he will vomit. And he was epileptic and was taking medicine for that, andhe has to have food for the medicine to work effectively.
    Then I used the negative tactic. When you are about to eat, say in a loud voice that you are going to eat (if hubby or any one is there, include them also). Then tell your son, 'now, you don't want any thing to eat, do you?" in the meaning that he is not eating. He will say he doesn't want. Then lay the table and you all eat, exclaiming loudly about the taste of the food and so on. The next meal also do like this. The third time, say geerally (make sure your won also listens), 'I don't need to ask him, he will not eat." After a few times, he is bound to say that he too wants to eat and will it with you. This worked for my son, try and see if it does for your son too.
    All the best!