1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does banana aggrevates cold & cough?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by mkclg, Sep 15, 2008.

1. mkclg

mkclg New IL'ite

Dear Moms,

Pls let me know if banana aggrevates cough.My 11 month old son loves to have bananas & he easily takes 1 banana as his breakfast.I cant substitute banana with any other fruit coz twice I have tried apple & both the times he had bad diarrhoea & chiku r not of very gud quality these days.I really get confused for his breakfast without banana.His Dr says that banana & cold cough have no corelation but still here in india every 1 suggestes me not to give him banana as winter season is coming & hes already suffering from cold & cough.
    He has lost around 700 gms weight also this month sue to viral fever followed by vomiting & hes not teething as of now.His Dr has prescribed vitamind D injections & calcium syrup 5 ml bd which i have not started yet but I am giving him banana as its a good source of calcium.

thanks,
    Monica

Admin Note: Check in our Article Section,
    Does Banana Aggravate Cold and Cough in Babies

2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Yes, in my opinion bananas does aggravate the chest congestion, esp. if given regularly. Twice a week giving is ok . Also, the type of banana you give is equally important -- if you give the longer, sweeter variety [called Morris i think] it will increase the phlegm. The smaller, slightly sour, yellow varieties esp. the mountain bananas are good for health and do not increase the cold symptoms.
    My daughter used to get wheezing sounds a few hrs. after I gave her even 1/2 a banana -- so it depends on the kid's body system also. But since she hated bananas anyway, we could give her other fruits.
    Try a particular variety and see what suits your baby.
    There are plenty other sources of calcium ; check out the relevant threads in the nutrition forum .

3. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Yes the big sweet bananas increase cold and congestion. The smaller ones are good for digestion and also does not cause any cold.This is from my own experience.

vani

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I too think it does. We get only one variety of banana here (sometimes small, sweet ones from bio shops) that is long and bland. But for my boy i have noticed it does have an adverse effect if he eats one when he has cold.

Latha

5. Gayathrisiva

Gayathrisiva New IL'ite

yes, yellowish bananas do the same