1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Gain Issues

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by booboo, Aug 8, 2008.

1. booboo

booboo Senior IL'ite

For a thorough article on this topic, please see - 10 Effective Tips to see your toddler gain weight.

Hi all,

I'm Uma, new to Indus Ladies. I've been through many of the post and found this site very interesting. I have a 18 month daughter and she's gaining weight very slowly. Give me some new receipes to try out for her and tips for her weight gain. She's not a fussy eater, she's allergic to pediasure. She doesn't take any formula milk. I feel she's not gaining weight since she's not taking any formula. All your tips and suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot.....

Regards,
    Uma

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012

2. sumibala

sumibala New IL'ite

Re: Toddler receipes

Hi Uma,

This is sumithra a new member to this forum. Is your daughter taking soild stuff ? What i personally feel is take her to pediatrian and check out . I have a baby boy who is 10 months old born premature .. all of a sudden he stopped taking formula which was due to tummy upset.. i took him 2 Dr they gave him antibiotic which helped him a lot..

If she is taking soilds , grind badam in mixer add it to the soild food .. I have heard from my friends this works out well. Try this. I shall keep you posted if i come across about any other ideas which can help you out.

Take care
    sumi

1 person likes this.
  3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Uma

Welcome to IL and hope you enjoy this great site!

First, gaining weight is not related to health. So relax yourself. Your kid may follow your/hubby's weight gaining pattern in your childhood. So Until she is not a fussy eater and staying in good health, be happy.

As it is our nature to worry abt the kids' weight all the time, I will give some of the food/snacks which I give my son. Try it out.

Drinks like:

1.If she is allergic to pediasure try complan (chocolate/vanila flavour)
    2. Soyamilk with less sugar.
    3. Yakult/Vitagen
    4. A malt drink- Go! Milk- available in all the supermarkets which my kid and brother in law compete with each other to finish up faster.
    5. Raagi Malt
    6. lassi

Food:

1. Give an egg daily.
    2. Give rice+ dhall+ ghee
    3. Fish porridge/egg porridge/ikan bilis porridge
    4. Bean curd with less sugar.
    5. give dhall and any keerai with lunch everyday.
    6. Cut fruits like papaya/honey dew/pear/grapes/banana/slightly boiled carrots into bite size pieces or slightly mash and give
    6. You can mix well cooked rice+boiled carrots+ ghee.
    7. For a change get the pureed veggies/fruits for babies from NTUC (Gerber)
    8. plain cornflakes an fresh milk.
    9. Always substitute sugar with honey. (Until now I dont put sugar in his drinks)
    10.bread soaked in milk.
    11. Chappati soaked in milk and honey.
    12. Small cakes available @Angie the choice/any cake shops.
    13. Rice and curd/yogurt.

You can mix and match according to your girl's tastebuds. Slowly introduce one by one and if she shows interest in some food varieties then you will know her favourites among the list. But as you know, moderation is the key. Enjoy feeding time with your baby and have fun.

All the best!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
    3 people like this.
  4. sumibala

sumibala New IL'ite

Hi vjee,
    Your post seem to be very informative. I shall try all your ideas with my boy 2. My boy has difficulty in passing his stools, it is 2 hard, i checked out with Dr he says it is due to formula milk intake.. any ideas/ suggestions on this?

take care
    sumi

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Sumi

Yes formula milk causes constipation. If your son is 10 months old, then try giving other foods too which will reduce the intake of formula milk and he will get to taste varieties too.

Pls give fruits like papaya, banana etc, veggies like spinach, etc.
    Also soak raisins in warm water and mash it and give the puree which will relieve the constipation. Dont forget to give water too.

Hope this helps.

6. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi all

a very good discussion on here.
    well ,did anybody give a try with ensure life?

bye
    raji

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

dear raji,

Saw the query just now only. BTW what is ensure life? I guess it is some helath drink mix. Please shed some light on it.

8. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

dear vijee,

as far as i had a glance on that ,it is some nutritional drink available in packets and in a tin just like pediasure.heard that it is good for children and makes them chubby,so thought somebody will clarify.

bye
    raji

9. keshavkutts

keshavkutts Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I have tried pediasure with doctors advise....My personal opinion is it does not help in gaining weight but guess it helps in good digestion. It is a complete formulated drink with all what kids need along with the normal food. You sure can try it with your kids if they like the taste its easy while traveling and touring.....

10. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear SingIlites,

I am moving this thread to the appropriate subforum" Baby/ Kids food", as more Ilites can contribute to it and the thread will be more lively. Also there are many contributions by other ILites that you may find useful.

"The more... the merrier!"

1 person likes this.