1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diarrhea Remedies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Jan 19, 2006.

1. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Home-Made Babyfoods for Diarrhoea

Rice Kanji

Boil little water and add 30 grams (or a handful) of rice powder to make the solution into a thin liquid. Add one level teaspoon of salt and water to this liquid to make it up to 1 litre.

Water, Sugar and Salt solution

This solution is an essential medicine for diarrhoea. It is necessary for adults as well as children and infants. After preparing the solution, make sure that you taste it. The solution should not taste too salty. Add lime juice (sour/sweet) or orange juice to taste. Some children prefer to have this solution without orange juice.

Keep this solution in a refrigerator or cold place. Make fresh solution after 24 hours. Wherever possible, boil the water and cool it before adding salt and sugar. Once the solution is ready, do not boil it.

Adults
    For 1 litre of water (roughly three soft drink bottles or cans) add 1 level teaspoon of salt and 8 level teaspoons of sugar. Mix and taste

Children
    For 1 litre of water, add ¾ teaspoon of salt and 8 level teaspoons of sugar. Mix and taste.

Infants
    For 1 liter of water, add ¾ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of sugar. Mix and taste.

1 person likes this.

2. sridharvijji

sridharvijji Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    My 3 yr old is having diarhea since 3 days.When ever he goes for motion mucous is coming in his stools.I am giving him only Curd rice which i do whenever he has diarhea.If i give medicine he is vomiting.What should i do.
    Sridharvijji

3. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

Well in our family, if there were any motions, we did this:

1. Boil some water (a glass/cup amt) and let it cool down to get to warm/lukewarm temperature.

2. Take small pinch of salt and mix it in the water.

3. Add quarter tea spoons of sugar and mix with the water. You have to saturate the water with the sugar. So after adding every time the sugar, stir the water well and again add. Do this process till you see the first time a SMALL clump of crystallized sugar (at the bottom of the glass, etc) that no longer mixes with the water even after stirring.

At that point, let the person drink it. This solidifies the stool and lessens the urge to go to bathroom again and again.

Every time the person goes to bathroom, let them drink that afterwards. Soon, it should stop. Also, it's better to make fresh new glass every time the person drinks than making large amt of it and drinking in interval. If not a fresh glass, it lessens the impact on the immune system I think.

Also, people can die of diarrhea (usually from the fatigue) so if it continues for more than 4-6 times, take the person to the doctor.

--------------------

more info about causes of diarrhea is here: Diarrhea

I think its high time you take the child to the doctor now. So take him asap.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    For severe diahrroe,natural remedy may not work.Take to doctor who may give injection if you kid vomits medicine.Drips may be helpful to restore lost fluid.

5. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

Hi

what Serenity_John said is very true reg Doctor and salt n sugar water mixture.

i assume that you already went to doctor and took advice.

u have to give lot of coconut water too, and you should see that he is not dehydrated.

Skavi

6. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

hi,
    if he has loose motions for 3 days i think you would have taken him to the doctor already.
    since he is losing water, the best thing is salt and sugar in hot water this will help repalce the lsot water and mineral content in the body, this mix is also readily available in the medical shop called "ORS " oral rehydration . so ensure he drinks plenty of this solution

, when my kid had it dr advised me to avoid milk totally and also there are lactobacillus powder available at medical shop that will help in improving the digestion. or you can give butter milk as this bacteria is found naturally in curd

take doctor advise

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi friends...

this is granny's medicine..

recently my daughter was having severe loose motion & vomiting..

i tried this within 3 days she is back to normal...

take 3 spoon of sombu (aniseed/sounf) grind it with 1/4 glass of water in the mixie... grind it nicely... filter it ...give that water.. give this for 3 continuos days... sure it will stop in the 3rd day...

i'm trying this for the 2nd time... she is back to normal on the 4th day...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Is that teaspoon or tablespoon? I am assuming it's teaspoon but just want to confirm.

Raj

9. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Its teaspoon only...bonk i should have metioned it clearly...

10. laxmi.kumar

laxmi.kumar New IL'ite

hi vahee,

This is laxmi your tips for Diarrhea is realy super :thumbsup I want to know it suits for 10 month baby having diarrhea only.

cheers,

laxmi