1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

If you are breastfeeding her and giving her solids three times a day, that should be good at 8 months. Riya, at 11 months gets two times solids and the rest of the time BM.

Raj

2. sankasailaja

sankasailaja Bronze IL'ite

hi
    my baby is 8mnths old,1 month back i tried to give her cooked n mashed rice,but she did not accept.

i asked my peditrician about that n he said that not to offer rice now,better wait for some more time as it might cause her weight grow not for the brain development,give veggies n fruits to her along with cereal.

i use to give all 3 flavours rice,barley n oatmeal to her with mixing veggie gerber n earthbest organic purees.

still how many more days i need to wait,to give her kichidi's etc like that?

what is the proper age to offer food?

what kind of homemade fruits and veggies are good at this age?

plz guide me?

thanks in advance

bye

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

American Academy of Pediatrics recommend starting solids by 6 months of age.

How did you offer the rice the first time? I wouldn't give her plain white rice since it has nothing in it other than starch. Yes, I would make khichdi with moong dal and plenty of veggies mixed in it, add some yogurt to it, you can even add desi ghee. Make sure you offer plenty of water with solids.

Go through this thread for more ideas on homemade food. Also, this website is really good for homemade food ideas and info on allergies, what to give, what not to give etc. etc.

Raj

4. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

is giving wheat to a 71/2 month old considered ok?

Hi everyone,
    I have bought wheat grains ,soaked them for a while and ground them in a mixie.Is it ok if i make a porridge with this,boiling it in water for about 5-7 mins and give it?Also add veggies to it.her poo is fine.Wanted some suggestions.

Thanks,

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Wheat is ok after 8 mnths provided you dont have a history of allergy/gluten-sensitivity in the family and your baby has no eczema/allergies. I havent done what you are proposing to do (I just used Cerelac Wheat as a test for wheat!) but it does sound alright to me.

Vanathi.

6. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi for ur suggestion.She does have a mild version of infantile eczema.

7. titli

titli New IL'ite

hi everyone,
    i am nihal's mom. my son is 8 month old..i am giving him the teething biscuits as snack..he enjoys eating that..i wanted to know whether we can give any other kind of biscuits which we eat...
    i really appreciate ur recipes . i am giving him ragi porridge n cereals mixed with veggies n fruits..
    i am planning to give him moong dal khichdi..after seeing all ur posts i think i am late in giving him dal n other things..
    i think i shd start now..
    thanks a lot..

8. takeiteasy

takeiteasy New IL'ite

food ideas for baby

Hi ladies
    I have a seven months old son. Till now i've been giving him only fruit and veggie purees(also cereal). What else can i feed him other than these purees. Also he hates green vegetable purees. I also would like to add some greens to his diet.
    Thanks in advance

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: food ideas for baby

If you are rice-eaters at home then you can start rice/dal/veggie/ghee combo for lunch/dinner and do fruits/cereals for the other times. In another month you can also start curd.

Vanathi.

10. takeiteasy

takeiteasy New IL'ite

Thank u Aadhusmom, can u suggest which dhal to use. toor dhal or moong dhal?