1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Normally tomatoes and other citrus fruits are not recommended for babies younger than 10 months because of their high acidity levels. If you really want to, then like newmommy said, include it in rasam or dal. Cooking the tomatoes will reduce their acidity level and will be gentle on the baby's stomach.

Raj

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Yes- rasam is a good idea though even there I'm wondering if 7 mnths is not too young for that. Anyway give it a try and see. But that doesnt solve your "what else can I give" problem. For that its best to try individual fruit/veggie purees one at a time. Btw tomatoes are usually never given by themselves (even in pureed form), even for an older baby. I would always cook and add it as an ingredient to other foods.

Vanathi.

3. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

hi .. iam sorry that i dint mention "boiled tomatoes". I too meant that only. I tried giving him rasam once, but he refused to take it. is the pepper flavour in rasam alrite for him?

cheers,
    suvidhya

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Suvidhya, since he's only 7 months old you may want to try other fruits and veggies that are a whole lot safer instead of starting out on boiled tomatoes and rasam. Rasam has too many flavors and spices to overwhelm a baby who is just beginning to experience flavors and textures. Just my two cents...

Raj

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I would agree with Raj here.

V.

6. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

hi riyasmommy n aadhusmom,
    Thank you so much.. i was great confused on those lines. Now I feel alrite. Past two days i have been giving him mashed veggies like carrot, potato etc... and he's eating quite well. I am planning to give him apples. But which is the best way to cook that... pls advice.

cheers,
    suvidhya

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I used to cook the cut apples (after peeling) with a little water (just enough to submerge the pieces) until tender and then puree that - basically thats home-made applesauce. Another way is to bake it - that may be the better way as it retains nutrients better than boiling. Uncoked apples are advised only after 9-10 mnths.

Vanathi.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I cook the apples same way as Vanathi has described. Baking the apples helps retain the nutrients better though. Cut the apples in half and core them. Place them in a baking dish in an inch of water (cut side down) and bake it in 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool it, mash it, add cinnamon (optional). You can add the water that the apples were baked in for thinning the consistency of the applesauce.

9. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

hi vanathi n riyasmommy,
    thank you for the tips... quite useful for me. will do the same.

cheers,
    suvidhya

10. sirisyam

sirisyam Silver IL'ite

hi sonu

ur receipes r very good. My daughter is 8months old.im trying the receipies on her.
    I just wanna know that apart from mothers feed how many times shall i gine her semi solid food.
    now I giving her 3 times a day. will that b sufficient.