1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Looking for some lunch ideas

Oh, and a pinch of turmeric.

Raj

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hello meeta and others,

This is the link to the post that I replied in the thread "Photos of your LO's ". I had addressed it to Raj since she had asked some ideas for feeding solid food in an other thread.

I didn't know whether any of you had a chance to see this as I got no acknowledgment for the same from Raj.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/23675-photos-of-your-los-17.html#post304593

I had mentioned about giving "ven pongal" for her baby since she is more than 5months old.

Of course, we can also give idlis with ghee (of course mash it well by hand before feeding). They will love it and both idlis and pongal are nutritious.

Cheers
    Krithika

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika, I am sorry I somehow missed your note to me. Thanks for your comment on Riya. I'll have to try venpongal soon. I tried Khichdi today but it wasn't a success. She was too distracted and hot, I think. Thanks for the venpongal tip though.

I would appreciate if you can share the baby venpongal recipe though.

Raj

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raj - what you are doing reg solida is right - just give her as much as she will eat. Dont force and if she finishes everything you've prepared a couple of days in a row then its probably time to increase the quantity. There are no rules and each baby has a different appetite.

Meeta - I use the regular rasam I make for us. The dal and ghee generally cancel out the spice. do try not to give her a bottle while she is sleeping. Like Raj said that increases her risk of caries. If she doesnt seem to want milk try reducing the frequency/quantity of feeding. Abt the cup - are you using a sippy? Aadhu will only drink from a sippy if I hold it. If I give it to him it is more likely to end up on the floor! I dont think she will hold and drink by herself much before 1 year. Also try a sippy without the one-way valve - thats the only kind which worked in my case, maybe it will work for you as well.

Vanathi.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

What kind is that? I got Riya the kind that doesn't drip and she has to suck to get water, which she has no idea how to do. She chews on the spout. After solids, I try to give water through a spoon, and she usually wants to drink from the cup and ends up spilling all over her, but it's fun to watch. :-D

Raj

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raj,
    I dont know if it is even available in the US. Here there is a sippy made by "Hello Baby" which is basically a low-tech version - just a cup with a lid with a spout for drinking from; no valve. Of course this means that things will spill if the sippy falls down or is held upside down but as the liquid drips into the child's mouth without any sucking I think they get the idea of drinking from it very easily. The other thing is to see if there are sippers with a removable valve - you can take it of initially and once she gets the idea try putiing the valve back in. Regualar cups were too messy for me, esp when we give liquids other than water. Hope you find something soon.
    ETA - I found you a webpage in the US which talks abt valveless sippers Des Moines Moms :: View topic - Switching from bottle to cup

Vanathi.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  7. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Raj,
    Have you tried nuby soft spout sippy cups,it does not spill much,but when the baby chews the spout water comes out.It works well ,now my son at 9 months is able to hold it and drinks water.Hope this helps.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Food for 6 months old?

Vanathi, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. And I wonder if the sippy cup we have right now has the option of taking the valve out. I'll have to check that, too.

Priya, no I haven't tried Nuby. I'll look for it.

Raj

9. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Vanathi,
    Here are the recipies requested

Tadka Dhal for Babies ( 9 months +)
    -------------------------------
    2 tbsp oil
    1 teaspon chopped garlic
    100gms chopped onions
    1/2 teaspoon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon jeera
    1 teaspoon Madras curry powder ( or subsitite a pinch of garam masala powder)
    1 cup cooked Toor Dhal
    2 teaspoon lemon juice ( optional)

Heat oil. Add mustard, jeera till they pop. Add garlic and onions till the onions become transparent. Add madras curry powder. Add cooked dhal and cook and stir for 5 min . Add some water if needed for consistency . Salt or lemon juice to taste. Puree for smaller babies for toddlers you can give them as it is.

Serve with warm chappathi ( tear in to small pieces for self feeding) or mashed rice ( or rice/mixed cereal)

For adults
    --------------
    After adding onion and garlic add 1 tsp chilli powder and 2 tbsp lemon juice and cook for 2 min. Take this mixture and add on top of cooked Toor dhal. Add fresh chopped green chillies and 1 tsp of garam masala.

Potatoe-Capscicum Sabji for Babies ( 9 months +)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Equal amounts of chopped capsicum and potatoes
    1 teaspoon jeera
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    Lots of dhania powder
    Salt to taste
    Oil to cook
    Serve with chapathi

Heat oil and add jeera. After it pops you can add capsicum and fry till raw flavor dissappers. Add chopped boiled potatoes. Add turmeric. Sprinkle dhania powder on top of the vegetables ( lightly cover all veggies) and cook. Salt to taste. Add water and puree the mixture to right consistency . For toddlers you can mash the well cooked mixture

For adults
    --------------
    Add 1 teaspoon of chilli powder to the above and ensure the potatoes do not get too mushy.

These days I modify what ever I am cooking for the day and make a milder less spicy version of it ( remove any choking or allergic ingredients). This cuts my cooking time and also makes my grocery shopping easier.

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Dallascw - will try these out and let you know!

Vanathi.